Converting Brave New World using Supers companion

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Wolfx
Novice

Converting Brave New World using Supers companion

#1 Postby Wolfx » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:43 am

Just wanted to bounce some ideas off anyone willing to listen.

I was thinking of using a modified version of becoming Harrowed for the change to an Alpha. Not using grit only using 1 card per rank and only the Black Joker creates an Alpha (red joker just means you managed to not die). The only other restriction (other than dying) is you have to be Veteran or higher.

My issue is how to create a "new" more powerful hero in the rebirth. I was thinking of allowing the character to be re made with an additional 10 power points. Opinions?

My next issue is the Barganiers. I am thinking of removing Super Sorcery and keeping AB: Magic (or possibly AB: Sorcery from the Fantasy companion), mainly to keep a spellcasting roll involved. Then adding Totems (each character would get 1 as part of the AB) as a modifier to certain types of spells. Additional Totems would be "created" as an edge similar to New Power. Opinions?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

Aric
All who may not be lost, but will be hunted down and eaten!

newForumNewName
Heroic

Re: Converting Brave New World using Supers companion

#2 Postby newForumNewName » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:09 am

I'm not terribly familiar with the mechanics of the setting, but I have read the setting fluff and meta-plot material, so here's my opinion based on that.

Wolfx wrote:Just wanted to bounce some ideas off anyone willing to listen.

I was thinking of using a modified version of becoming Harrowed for the change to an Alpha. Not using grit only using 1 card per rank and only the Black Joker creates an Alpha (red joker just means you managed to not die). The only other restriction (other than dying) is you have to be Veteran or higher.

My issue is how to create a "new" more powerful hero in the rebirth. I was thinking of allowing the character to be re made with an additional 10 power points. Opinions?

I wouldn't allow alphas as playable characters. The difference in power level between "normal" supers and alphas is too great to be effectively represented in game and the meta-plot suggests that no alphas will be around anyway. Unless you start with Street-level supers for your Deltas, then move them up to standard or cosmic level if they become Alphas, but that would not be a terribly fun game with that much power disparity. Some power disparity is ok, but that much becomes "the Alpha swoops in and kills everything while everyone else just watches." So, as I stated, I wouldn't use Alphas as playable characters.

wolfx wrote:My next issue is the Barganiers. I am thinking of removing Super Sorcery and keeping AB: Magic (or possibly AB: Sorcery from the Fantasy companion), mainly to keep a spellcasting roll involved. Then adding Totems (each character would get 1 as part of the AB) as a modifier to certain types of spells. Additional Totems would be "created" as an edge similar to New Power. Opinions?

I'm not entirely sure why you aren't allowing Super Sorcery. Super Sorcery still involves Spellcasting and many of the powers can be re-trapped to allow the Spellcasting skill instead of the normal Spirit, Smarts, Fighting, or Shooting skill.

Hope that helps.
"I had a whole bunch of advice for you but got ninja'd by newForumNewName. I'd just do what he says." -- 77IM

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH

Scott A. Woodard
Heroic

#3 Postby Scott A. Woodard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:11 pm

One big "issue" I had with the original setting was that a normal guy with a gun was typically far more effective than a friggin' superhero. I recall being in a big fight with a bunch of armed thugs and most of our superhero team was incapped through gunshots!
DAVROS: ‘Tar Lubek Ka’leed, Uth Ricta Dal’ek.’ Roughly translated, it means: ‘And on that day, men will become like gods.’ (I, DAVROS: GUILT written by Scott Alan Woodard http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/guilt-393)

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”