Finding cheap minis

A forum for discussing anything used to add to your Savage Worlds games; miniatures, terrain, character sheets, or game aides of any type.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

wyldspirit
Novice

Finding cheap minis

#1 Postby wyldspirit » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:40 pm

I was wondering if there is a good sight to purchase plastic minatures. I use to be able to buy indivdual figures from the million of assorted minature games for the price of a dollar a piece. Unfourtanetly that game store closed and I'm not willing to put down 30 bucks for 6 Warhammer figures no matter how awesome they look. I also want to stay away from paper minis as errant beer bottles sometimes roll about the battlemap. Any suggestions?

Timon
Heroic

#2 Postby Timon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:13 pm

There's nowhere you can buy specific SW minis, of course you can pick up D&D minis at your FLGS or EBay.

It took me a while to understand why SW was all about figure flats. Its basically because you might be pirates this week and space marines the next, but you will never be a standard "Elf Paladin" or "Halfling Mage": there are no classes, so you cannot buy a mini that looks like your character and there is no single standard list of SW monsters to make minis of.
Warhammer figs are a bit large for rpg tabletop use and indeed hella expensive.
Possible solutions are:

:idea: tokens (ie flat coin-type markers) which should be pretty beer-bottle proof

:idea: lego mini-figs (build whatever char you like and even the scenery, but a bit large

:idea: pawns from any game + imagination

:idea: sculpt your own - you can do a lot with papier mache and patience

:idea: not using a battlemap (many swear it improves the immersion)

:idea: use figure flats anyway and either plastify them or keep a bunch of spares. You can easily replace flattened ones or even perhaps corral the beerbottles. :lol:
Biting! It's like kissing but there's a winner!
The Doctor's Wife

Cryonic
Heroic

Re: Finding cheap minis

#3 Postby Cryonic » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:21 pm

wyldspirit wrote:I was wondering if there is a good sight to purchase plastic miniatures. I use to be able to buy individual figures from the million of assorted miniature games for the price of a dollar a piece. Unfortunately that game store closed and I'm not willing to put down 30 bucks for 6 Warhammer figures no matter how awesome they look. I also want to stay away from paper minis as errant beer bottles sometimes roll about the battlemap. Any suggestions?

The problem is that a lot of the suppliers got out of those markets. Even WotC does more of the token stuff rather than minis which sucks for D&D day when you are a poker sized token labeled "Player 3" instead of a figure that looks like the pregen character.

Scott A. Woodard
Heroic

#4 Postby Scott A. Woodard » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:43 pm

Just scour the following...

Craigslist
eBay
Your Local Conventions (Auctions and Flea Markets)

I've had remarkable success with all sources.
DAVROS: ‘Tar Lubek Ka’leed, Uth Ricta Dal’ek.’ Roughly translated, it means: ‘And on that day, men will become like gods.’ (I, DAVROS: GUILT written by Scott Alan Woodard http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/guilt-393)

Bavix
Seasoned

Auddies

#5 Postby Bavix » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:23 am

Honestly, Auggie's is the best site I have found over the years.

http://www.auggiesgamesonline.com/

Jordan Peacock
Legendary

#6 Postby Jordan Peacock » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:45 am

I have bought a bunch of "loose" Clix, Star Wars, D&D & etc. miniatures and other "bitz" from online sites such as:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com
http://www.popularcollections.com

Miniature Market still has quite a bit of assorted HeroClix and HorrorClix minis, plus odd figures from discontinued lines such as AT-43 and Confrontation, while Popular Collections (last I checked) has a number of Halo figures.

chugosh
Veteran

#7 Postby chugosh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:14 am

If you don't mind a little bit smaller scale, I'll point you at the various 1/72 scale plastics. I have a couple wonderful sets from Ceaser's, at Michigan Toy Soldier that could workf for fantasy games. The price comes out to about fifty cents a figure. There are a whol bunch of plastic toy soldier sets that might certainly do for a lot of different genres.

Another option, though not as cheap, is Megaminiatureshttp://megaminis.com/. they have a great range, but their prices are up a bit due to their materials going up. two or three bucks isn't too bad for metal, though.

As for me, I go with paper figures. I find I am not so fond of tri fold figure flats as I am of stuff more like OneMonk does.

chitownroy
Veteran

#8 Postby chitownroy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:19 pm

I like the One Monk minis but I fear the amount of cutting needed would be a bit tedious.

nathaniel
Novice

#9 Postby nathaniel » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:26 pm

For anyone thinking of using 1/72 plastics, definitely check out http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#10 Postby TheLoremaster » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:30 pm

chitownroy wrote:I like the One Monk minis but I fear the amount of cutting needed would be a bit tedious.

Surprisingly not. I've used several of their sets, and it really doesn't take terribly long to construct and use. The only issue I've had has been the glue I used, which didn't handle humidity well.
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

chugosh
Veteran

#11 Postby chugosh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:53 pm

i almost never cut hte minis out right on the lines, just kind of near the general shape. Patience issues.

For the finished product, a brushing with a sanding sealer or clearcote or the like should help against humidity issues.

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#12 Postby TheLoremaster » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:23 am

chugosh wrote:i almost never cut hte minis out right on the lines, just kind of near the general shape. Patience issues.

For the finished product, a brushing with a sanding sealer or clearcote or the like should help against humidity issues.

Oh, yes, that reminds me of my other tip: just cut roughly around the figs, then color in the white outline with a black marker. Really helps to make the figure "pop". :)
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

decalod85
Seasoned

#13 Postby decalod85 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Timon wrote:It took me a while to understand why SW was all about figure flats. Its basically because you might be pirates this week and space marines the next, but you will never be a standard "Elf Paladin" or "Halfling Mage": there are no classes, so you cannot buy a mini that looks like your character and there is no single standard list of SW monsters to make minis of.

SW: Roleplaying for the Attention Deficit Disorder crowd.

decalod85
Seasoned

#14 Postby decalod85 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Heroclix has lots of good minis for (duh) supers games, but also lots of modern looking figs (guys in suits with guns). We are using rebased Heroclix for the humans in our Zombie Run game. (and D&D zombies, vampires and ghouls for the zombies).

mruseless
Novice

#15 Postby mruseless » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm a big fan of cardstock paper miniatures.

Onemonk.com is a great place to start, but if you check the cardboard warriors forums you'll find lots of great sources.

They are really easy to put together, I can build a whole army in just a few hours. One figure only takes a few minutes.

Print, cut, edge, glue to base. Done.

These might look familiar, if you have played 50 Fathoms. I did these in just about an hour, including the time to GIMP them from the scanned pages.

mruseless
Novice

#16 Postby mruseless » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:54 pm

And another one for you Firefly/Serenity fans.

nonefornic
Veteran

#17 Postby nonefornic » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:32 pm

For SW I'm totally in the no mini camp. But that said; lately, I've been getting into building Token sets for various games. I bought a bunch of Warmachine bases and Warhammer sheild bits to make fantasy counters (specifically for D&D), and for post-apoc I've been getting a hammer and squashing bottle caps with my three year old son. The latter, for all us Fallout fans, doubles as great in game currency!

The fun thing is with DIY tokens, is they're relatively cheap and easy to make and you get something that "feels" like your setting...
No longer a luddite... I have a blog... After losing settings, rules and more in PC wipe after wipe its now home to my swag of RPG homebrewing... http://theniconomicon.blogspot.com/

Mindseye
Seasoned

#18 Postby Mindseye » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:08 am

mruseless wrote:And another one for you Firefly/Serenity fans.

Can't stop the signal. :)
Have a Happy,
Mindseye

I am searching for
Someone, Somewhere, but I do
not know who or where

VonDan
Legendary

#19 Postby VonDan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:07 pm

My local FlGS lways has minis used or 50 cents or 5 for $2 mostly mage knight and hero clix sometimes D&D and warhammer
go to your local flgs

marshal kt
Legendary

#20 Postby marshal kt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:49 pm

go to www.bartertown.com and buy minis there.

It's a free selling/trading site.

you can usuually get most minis for 50-60% of retail.
"I'm Hotep"

Return to “SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides”