SWEX to SWD - changes and additions

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

greyseerco
Seasoned

#81 Postby greyseerco » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Charisma no longer modifies the Reaction Table.

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32433

kreider204
Heroic

#82 Postby kreider204 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Excellent, thanks. And here I was starting to think we had gotten everything already! :)
"It only takes an extra second to be courteous."
- Constable Benton Fraser

steelbrok
Veteran

#83 Postby steelbrok » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 am

I'm curious, does the no PP magic option cover the Weird Science AB as well?

Bernd
Seasoned

#84 Postby Bernd » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:06 am

steelbrok wrote:I'm curious, does the no PP magic option cover the Weird Science AB as well?

Yes it does.

steelbrok
Veteran

#85 Postby steelbrok » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks

grendel2175
Seasoned

#86 Postby grendel2175 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:10 am

Steady Hands is different now. It now only reduces the unstable platform penalty to a -1, but it also applies to running.
Grendel

Evil Mike
Veteran

#87 Postby Evil Mike » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 am

grendel2175 wrote:Steady Hands is different now. It now only reduces the unstable platform penalty to a -1, but it also applies to running.
\

That's not how I read it. It says the hero ignores the unstable platform penalty and reduces running penalty to -1 instead of -2.
"Well, not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men whereever he goes."
Savage Worlds Explorers Society
Harrowed Halls

grendel2175
Seasoned

#88 Postby grendel2175 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:51 am

Your read is better than mine :)
Grendel

Evil Mike
Veteran

#89 Postby Evil Mike » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:58 am

grendel2175 wrote:Your read is better than mine :)

For the first time ever!!!! :D
"Well, not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men whereever he goes."

Savage Worlds Explorers Society

Harrowed Halls

Bloodwork
Seasoned

#90 Postby Bloodwork » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:27 am

I had to re-read this 3 times to make sure (and I'm still not 100% sure) but it seems that Extras go OK, Shaken, Incapacitated rather than OK, Shaken, Wounded, Incapacitated now.
"I was expecting someone a little more heroic."

"Heroism costs extra."

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#91 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:29 am

Bloodwork wrote:I had to re-read this 3 times to make sure (and I'm still not 100% sure) but it seems that Extras go OK, Shaken, Incapacitated rather than OK, Shaken, Wounded, Incapacitated now.

They've always gone OK, Shaken, Incapacitated.

You can run it differently, but that's how the rules have always read.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Bloodwork
Seasoned

#92 Postby Bloodwork » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:09 pm

OK I was confused by this line from SWEX.

With a raise or better, Extras suffer a Wound, and wounded Extras are Incapacitated

I thought it meant an Extra who is already wounded who receives another wound is incapacitated. Shouldn't it say "with a raise or better, Extras are incapacitated."?
"I was expecting someone a little more heroic."

"Heroism costs extra."

JackMann
Veteran

#93 Postby JackMann » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:02 pm

You could. But there's more than one way to wound someone. For example, getting a success against a shaken extra. So it's easier to say that they take a wound on a raise, and then clarify that they're incapacitated on taking a single wound. It also helps tie it into the mechanics used for wildcards; that is, it works the same way, except that Wildcards aren't incapacitated until they take a fourth wound.

Harlan
Novice

#94 Postby Harlan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Mass Battle is an opposed roll now (SWD 92), rather than two separate rolls, with a chance to diminish both stacks of tokens equally (SWEX 122).

SWD Mass Battle looks like a drinking game with the Ol' Janx Spirit - once you start to lose you will probably keep losing. I'd rather have my Pangalactic Gargleblaster in peace, then.

Ryche
Seasoned

#95 Postby Ryche » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Harlan wrote:Mass Battle is an opposed roll now (SWD 92), rather than two separate rolls, with a chance to diminish both stacks of tokens equally (SWEX 122).

Not sure how I feel about that. Will have to test it out, but I like the opportunity of both sides taking casualties each round. Otherwise like you stated once you start losing tokens, you are almost surely out of the fight or going down quickly.

Batei
Novice

Guts gone?

#96 Postby Batei » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi Guys,

I am new to Savage Worlds and a little overwhelmed with the new editon on the horizon and learning the rules from the SWEX edition.

So, Guts is gone? How is someone's reaction to horrible things conducted now? I read a variant somewhere where it was suggested Spirit should be used. Is that what happens in the new edition?

I want to start a group and get off on the right foot rules wise if you know what I mean. If I change rules next month in the middle of a game... well you know how players and rules can be an issue.

Thanks,
Mike

grimmshade
Seasoned

Re: Guts gone?

#97 Postby grimmshade » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Batei wrote:Hi Guys,

I am new to Savage Worlds and a little overwhelmed with the new editon on the horizon and learning the rules from the SWEX edition.

So, Guts is gone? How is someone's reaction to horrible things conducted now? I read a variant somewhere where it was suggested Spirit should be used. Is that what happens in the new edition?

I want to start a group and get off on the right foot rules wise if you know what I mean. If I change rules next month in the middle of a game... well you know how players and rules can be an issue.

Thanks,
Mike

For the most part Guts is gone as a Core rule. It is now a Spirit roll.
Last edited by grimmshade on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kreider204
Heroic

#98 Postby kreider204 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Frankly, there's no reason to dive into SWD. All of the currently available settings use SWEX (or earlier editions, though there's not much converting to do), and there aren't really that many rules changes from SWEX to SWD (it's mostly expansions and clarifications), so switching later won't pose a serious problem.

With a couple of small exceptions, I myself am actually sticking with SWEX rules for the time being, and probably won't go to SWD until a later printing (hopefully one in the smaller digest size and one that includes the errata), and that will be a while from now (I'm guessing at least a year, but we'll see).

As far as your Guts question, just roll the Spirit die whenever you see something telling you to make a Guts roll - otherwise, it's the same rules.
"It only takes an extra second to be courteous."

- Constable Benton Fraser

grimmshade
Seasoned

#99 Postby grimmshade » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:08 pm

kreider204 wrote:Frankly, there's no reason to dive into SWD. All of the currently available settings use SWEX (or earlier editions, though there's not much converting to do), and there aren't really that many rules changes from SWEX to SWD (it's mostly expansions and clarifications), so switching later won't pose a serious problem.

With a couple of small exceptions, I myself am actually sticking with SWEX rules for the time being, and probably won't go to SWD until a later printing (hopefully one in the smaller digest size and one that includes the errata), and that will be a while from now (I'm guessing at least a year, but we'll see).

As far as your Guts question, just roll the Spirit die whenever you see something telling you to make a Guts roll - otherwise, it's the same rules.

As a Counter-Argument I would like to say that I think SWD is a step up. The rules are streamlined, and the small tweaks that have been made are all pretty sweet. There are additions that I now find invaluable. Push, Interludes, Dramatic Tasks, Social Conflict, Bolt changes, Weird Science malfunction table, & the new Chase rules will see play at my table nearly every session. If you have the money, its a great book. Most of the errata is simple grammatical errors or clarifications.
On the other hand, many of the additions are possibly going to be made available on the website for SWEX owners. (as the new Chase rules were.)

chugosh
Veteran

#100 Postby chugosh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:12 pm

For that matter, just inform your players that they need the Guts skill in your game setting.

The rules are almost unchanged outside of Guts and the chase rules. Heck, my main setting has the setting rule that Gut skill is not used. Relax and do what's fun.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”