(HoE classic) Flash Gordon question

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
Templar
Seasoned
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:25 pm

(HoE classic) Flash Gordon question

#1 Postby Templar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:42 am

My group and I were agonizing a bit over the rules update for explosions and how it affected bolts for flash gordon then I suddenly realized something, for the range incriment slot cost, do you use the range for regular bullets or warheads?

Edit: IE I mean should we apply the RI stuff like the different modifiers for warheads compared to bullets as opposed to the current flash gordon system which makes bolt weapons prohibitively expensive in terms of size and energy consumption.

ScooterinAB
Seasoned
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:28 pm

#2 Postby ScooterinAB » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:17 pm

There is a table in Flash Gordon that should be used. It's on the next page, above Generator. Make sure you double that cost, as mentioned in the blurb about Bolt weapons.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

User avatar
Templar
Seasoned
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:25 pm

#3 Postby Templar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:09 pm

ScooterinAB wrote:There is a table in Flash Gordon that should be used. It's on the next page, above Generator. Make sure you double that cost, as mentioned in the blurb about Bolt weapons.


Due to the Iron Oasis errata bolt weapons are useless using the current rules, as I have mentioned before and hence why I brought up the idea.

ScooterinAB
Seasoned
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:28 pm

#4 Postby ScooterinAB » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. If anything, the errata in Iron Oasis makes Flash Gordon bolt weapons more dangerous. Exploding weapons are extremely dangerous now (the "no more drop a grenade and a chip and walk away" thing).

When comparing the two tables for burst area slots, it is actually cheaper to build small explosives (it gets a touch more expensive if you are getting into town destroying weapons) now than it was before.

The wording of the section in Iron Oasis seems to refers to the Ammo power (specifically). Flash Gordon should still use the ammo size previously presented, while the errata refers to making grenades and missiles.

Yes, bolt weapons are expensive and difficult to make. It is possible to make very dangerous weapons, so it makes sense that they would be hard to build. Just remember that high damage weapons with large explosions are supposed to be heavy or vehicular weapons, not a bunker-busting pistol. When you are dealing with Junker weapons (and the Taint), you should always be thinking bigger. Threatening someone with a pistol that can destroy a table is nothing to the shoulder mounted cannon that can vaporize your enemy, his surroundings, and his buddies who are hiding next door.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

rungok
Novice
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 12:27 pm

#5 Postby rungok » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone figured out how to make the flash gordon equivalent of a shotgun?

A weapon that fires a spray of plasma?

ScooterinAB
Seasoned
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:28 pm

#6 Postby ScooterinAB » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:10 pm

rungok wrote:I was wondering if anyone figured out how to make the flash gordon equivalent of a shotgun?

A weapon that fires a spray of plasma?


It's been my life's work.

I've figured out a few ways, depending on liberal rules use. You can take the projector route, which is the easiest to pull off. The best route, though, is a liberal interpretation on the use of the Ammo power when designing weapons. Theoretically, one could apply the multiple projectiles feature to Flash Gordon (the +2 to hit deal).

Ultimately, it lies in the hands of the Marshal (I hate how often that comes up). As a Marshal, I would accept the multiple projectiles approach for a beam weapon, assuming that there was a snappy pseudo-scientific reason behind it.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

rungok
Novice
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 12:27 pm

#7 Postby rungok » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Like a prism lens at the end of your barrel?

ScooterinAB
Seasoned
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:28 pm

#8 Postby ScooterinAB » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Like filling a balloon with too much air!

The book touches on the whole scientific principle matter, but here are two examples.

The Tesla Gun is a lightning throwing weapon (pistol or rifle, depending on which gets built). The weapon functions like a Tesla Coil, and arcs lightning from the gun to the target. By aiming the gun at a target, the target essentially becomes the second coil. [So rather than just "it fires lightning," the weapon follows a basic principle, and the tech spirit does the rest.]

The fearometer is a sophisticated sensory device that can detect ambient fear in an area. Since the Reckoning, scientists discovered that fear is just another kind of energy. The device's special sensor array measures the amount of fear in the area, and outputs it as a measurable unit (Qualms). [This device requires a certain buy in from the Marshal, but the logic is sound. Again, rather than just say it works, I've come up with a reasoning for it.]
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

User avatar
Templar
Seasoned
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:25 pm

#9 Postby Templar » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:23 am

ScooterinAB wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. If anything, the errata in Iron Oasis makes Flash Gordon bolt weapons more dangerous. Exploding weapons are extremely dangerous now (the "no more drop a grenade and a chip and walk away" thing).

When comparing the two tables for burst area slots, it is actually cheaper to build small explosives (it gets a touch more expensive if you are getting into town destroying weapons) now than it was before.

The wording of the section in Iron Oasis seems to refers to the Ammo power (specifically). Flash Gordon should still use the ammo size previously presented, while the errata refers to making grenades and missiles.

Yes, bolt weapons are expensive and difficult to make. It is possible to make very dangerous weapons, so it makes sense that they would be hard to build. Just remember that high damage weapons with large explosions are supposed to be heavy or vehicular weapons, not a bunker-busting pistol. When you are dealing with Junker weapons (and the Taint), you should always be thinking bigger. Threatening someone with a pistol that can destroy a table is nothing to the shoulder mounted cannon that can vaporize your enemy, his surroundings, and his buddies who are hiding next door.


Hmm, since they mention the change to ammo I figured it was universal and would apply to flash gordon as well. At least that would be my interpretation. If not then yeah, it's great.


Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests