Tales of Savage Worlds Ebooks?

Full-length books, dime novels, and other similar works of fiction.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Sweeper
Seasoned

Tales of Savage Worlds Ebooks?

#1 Postby Sweeper » Thu May 05, 2011 11:01 am

With ebooks making up for around 10% of the market, I wonder if Pinnacle has thought about testing the waters of Game world based novels in eformat.

Maybe an anthology for Deadlands or a selection from the other campaign settings to start with. If it works out, it may inspire, perhaps pay for a hard copy print run. As a user of ebooks since 2001 and a gamer for even longer, I'd love to see this.

Opinions?
I'm wise enough to know that I don't know half as much as I think I know. Y'know?

huscarle
Novice

Ebooks

#2 Postby huscarle » Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 am

I'd love to see it done.

I'd also like to see more advetures covering all genres to be made available.

Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

#3 Postby Lee_Szczepanik » Mon May 09, 2011 11:44 am

Daring Entertainment is actually looking at expanding into ebooks. Although there would naturally be the RPG-setting inspired fiction, for the most part it would be normal fiction from new and established authors we've been talking to. I actually have business experience in the book trade, from long before I ever started working on RPGs, so that expansion is something I really want to do.

The only problem right now is time. I need a larger staff than I have, currently.

For fiction, though, ebooks are actually more than 10% of the market share.

Anyway, on that note-- I'd love to see more Deadlands fiction! :wink:

Sweeper
Seasoned

#4 Postby Sweeper » Mon May 09, 2011 5:22 pm

That's cool. One thing I do hope if Pinnacle and co. test the ebook waters is that they don't limit themselves to Kindle or at least not put DRM on the files if they do. That way, us nook (and other ereader) owners wont be left out because we can't access the file. We can convert it to epub or whatever format our devices can read.
I'm wise enough to know that I don't know half as much as I think I know. Y'know?

Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

#5 Postby Lee_Szczepanik » Mon May 09, 2011 7:20 pm

Sweeper wrote:That's cool. One thing I do hope if Pinnacle and co. test the ebook waters is that they don't limit themselves to Kindle or at least not put DRM on the files if they do. That way, us nook (and other ereader) owners wont be left out because we can't access the file. We can convert it to epub or whatever format our devices can read.

While Kindle definitely has market share, all things considered, I think it would definitely be a bad choice for any ebook publisher to not support the normal epub format.

PEGShane
Site Admin

#6 Postby PEGShane » Mon May 09, 2011 11:48 pm

Coming soon. :)

Shane

Sweeper
Seasoned

#7 Postby Sweeper » Tue May 10, 2011 8:54 am

Lee_Szczepanik wrote:While Kindle definitely has market share, all things considered, I think it would definitely be a bad choice for any ebook publisher to not support the normal epub format.

Yeah, DRM prevents the use of the fantastic ebook manager, Calibre, from converting the format to another. I bought a nook as it has the ability to read most of the 175 and counting ebooks I've purchased over the last 10 years. and the few that couldn't be read instantly, I converted to a format that could.

Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

#8 Postby Lee_Szczepanik » Tue May 10, 2011 12:47 pm

PEGShane wrote:Coming soon. :)

Shane

Wait, wait wait. You work at Cryptic again, too. That isn't their definition of SOONtm, I hope :mrgreen:

(Sidebar: For those that never played City of Heroes, SOONtm became a running gag with them).

Sweeper wrote:Yeah, DRM prevents the use of the fantastic ebook manager, Calibre, from converting the format to another. I bought a nook as it has the ability to read most of the 175 and counting ebooks I've purchased over the last 10 years. and the few that couldn't be read instantly, I converted to a format that could.

From a purely consumer standpoint, I'm still trying to decide between Kindle or Nook. It's a very close race . . .

Sweeper
Seasoned

#9 Postby Sweeper » Wed May 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Lee_Szczepanik wrote:From a purely consumer standpoint, I'm still trying to decide between Kindle or Nook. It's a very close race . . .

Unless you have a sizable library of non-pdf ebooks already, (Like I did), it comes down to how much you want to pay and for what. Kindle is cheaper than the nook by about $10-20 before taxes last time I looked. Nook Color has the ability to be a pretty decent Android Tablet with a software mod that unlocks the OS to bring it up to snuff. Though I am starting to see a bunch of Android Tablets that do that anyways for $100 less than the color.

As far as content goes, the big publishers are on both and the smaller ones make their content available on as many formats as they can.

One thing I do know is that eInk is much better than LCD/OLED under bright Arizona sun. :)

VonDan
Legendary

#10 Postby VonDan » Wed May 11, 2011 5:01 pm

PEGShane wrote:Coming soon. :)

Shane

Do you mean your products in more E-Formats or new setting based fiction or both

and who is writing the adventures of Virginia Dare: Trans Dimensional Eternal Heroin

Sweeper
Seasoned

#11 Postby Sweeper » Wed May 11, 2011 7:00 pm

VonDan wrote:and who is writing the adventures of Virginia Dare: Trans Dimensional Eternal Heroin

Boy, I sure hope you meant Heroine. Because Trans Dimensional Eternal Heroin is just plain scary. :)

marshal kt
Legendary

#12 Postby marshal kt » Wed May 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Sweeper wrote:
VonDan wrote:and who is writing the adventures of Virginia Dare: Trans Dimensional Eternal Heroin

Boy, I sure hope you meant Heroine. Because Trans Dimensional Eternal Heroin is just plain scary. :)

you only have to buy 1 fix. ;-)
"I'm Hotep"

VonDan
Legendary

#13 Postby VonDan » Wed May 11, 2011 8:04 pm

marshal kt wrote:
Sweeper wrote:

you only have to buy 1 fix. ;-)

I rolled snake eyes on spell check or lost the last "e" when I copy/pasted

TommyBrownell
Veteran

#14 Postby TommyBrownell » Mon May 16, 2011 1:26 am

I lurvs my Nook, so obviously I vote for anything in ePub format...=)
Tommy Brownell

Granthar
Seasoned

#15 Postby Granthar » Tue May 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Let me know if you do decide to do a publishing guys!
I already have a efw waiting for a look over.

PEGShane
Site Admin

#16 Postby PEGShane » Thu May 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Check out the announcement today! :)

Shane

Sweeper
Seasoned

#17 Postby Sweeper » Thu May 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Sweetness!

I can only guess by "Graphically Enhanced PDF" you mean any pictures in the ebook are in color?

Looking forward to reading it.

PEGShane
Site Admin

#18 Postby PEGShane » Thu May 19, 2011 6:13 pm

The pictures in ALL the works are in color IF your reader supports it. The PDF really just has backgrounds and a few other bits here and there that you can't do in an EPub.

Thanks!

Shane

marshal kt
Legendary

#19 Postby marshal kt » Thu May 19, 2011 6:41 pm

don't make me go ut and buy an ereader just to get them.. the pdf's i can do, the computer will handle them.
"I'm Hotep"

Sweeper
Seasoned

#20 Postby Sweeper » Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 pm

marshal kt wrote:don't make me go ut and buy an ereader just to get them.. the pdf's i can do, the computer will handle them.

Check out Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com .

It's an ebook management program that allows you to read a wide variety of ebook formats as well as work with a wide variety of readers. Reader not required.

Oh, yeah, and it's free.

Return to “Books & Dime Novels”