Savage Worlds Bestiary?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

fishnamedkarl
Novice

Savage Worlds Bestiary?

#1 Postby fishnamedkarl » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:39 pm

I have found that when I am looking for a particular monster I will flip through several books to find it. Is a Dragon in the fantasy companion or the core book? Will I find a zombie in the horror, Core or fantasy?

Is there any chance we can get a compilation of all the published core monsters (From the Deluxe and companions). Has anyone compiled their own?

Zadmar
Legendary

#2 Postby Zadmar » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:20 pm

There are some fan-made bestiarys, like Lord Lance's Savage Free Bestiary and my Savage Pathfinder Bestiary (a conversion that's still under work, I also added a search option for it).

You could also check out the Hellfrost bestiary, which has a large selection of monsters. But I doubt you'll see any full compilations, as many monsters are setting-specific.

fishnamedkarl
Novice

#3 Postby fishnamedkarl » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks! I'm not really looking for "setting" specific. I'm more looking fore the "core" monsters. Savage Worlds Deluxe and the companions (Fantasy, Horror, SciFi (if it ever comes out), etc.

Speaking of the SciFy companion, is there anywhere I can get the old SciFi toolkit until it does?

MagusRogue
Seasoned

#4 Postby MagusRogue » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:21 pm

Both Dragons and Zombies are in SWD, as are many staple monsters, such as orcs, goblins, ogres, and trolls. even got liches and zombies in there. FC has more dragons and other cool fantasy creatures, and if you want variant zombies and vampires and the like, look towards the HC!
Adam Loyd
Freelancer and Proofreader (check me out in the Noir books!)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this rant is over.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Savage Worlds Bestiary?

#5 Postby Clint » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:40 am

fishnamedkarl wrote:I have found that when I am looking for a particular monster I will flip through several books to find it. Is a Dragon in the fantasy companion or the core book? Will I find a zombie in the horror, Core or fantasy?

The answer is typically D - All of the above.

We specifically put all the fantasy creatures from the core rulebook in the Fantasy Companion, so GMs only have to reference one book for all the fantasy creatures. So Dragons, Drakes, Goblins, Orcs, and yep, Zombies are all in the Fantasy Companion.

The same basically holds true for the Horror Companion though Vampires got a much more extensive modular listing due to the sheer number of varieties possible. Zombies are somewhat similar though they have the basic version and "add-ons" for variants.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Gordon
Seasoned

#6 Postby Gordon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:45 am

@Clint - Except for (our local gaming group's staple) Kobolds -- which one could use the Goblin stats for in a pinch ;)

But I'm no lawyer, good chance that Kobold was a trademark name from another company, so I'm not complaining :D

Although I do love the fact that you gave different dragon breath rules in Fantasy to help flesh them out for others coming from other gaming systems.

Clint
Site Admin

#7 Postby Clint » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:54 am

jdgwf wrote:@Clint - Except for (our local gaming group's staple) Kobolds -- which one could use the Goblin stats for in a pinch ;)

I'm not saying every creature is in that book, just that all the fantasy creatures in the core rulebook bestiary were reprinted in the Fantasy Companion for ease of reference.

And yeah, Kobolds are basically Goblins who like to set traps. ;)
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

ogbendog
Legendary

#8 Postby ogbendog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:37 pm

jdgwf wrote:
But I'm no lawyer, good chance that Kobold was a trademark name from another company, so I'm not complaining :D

nope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold

a surprising number of DnD monsters are mythological. I suspect anything in the SRD is historical, while other monsters, Beholders for examaple, which aren't, are dnd inventions
Bill Ogden
Author of Kaiser's Gate Field Manual Vol 1: Mounts, now available for purchase.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Ka ... ual-Mounts

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”