(classic) Junker armor question

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Templar
Seasoned

(classic) Junker armor question

#1 Postby Templar » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:28 pm

Ok, I was reading through the rules for Junker armor and had a bit of a quandary. I noticed that with a raise I could either increase the level of the armor by 1, using a number of slots equal to the frame size (probably far less than what I would normally use) or I could reduce the number of slots used by 10%.

My question goes like this, if I make some armor and get say 8 raises (don't ask how) could I raise the armor by 5 levels then reduce the total number of slots by 30%? Does the reduction only apply to the 'normal' armor slot amounts IE those that aren't from a raise? I just wonder because a player has a junker with the armor power and after a rather messy car crash-flip-slam into wall-Automaton Ambush is considering making more body armor.

Jack_Spade
Novice

#2 Postby Jack_Spade » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:38 pm

With 8 raises you could increase the armour by 5 and then reduce the total slot-usage by 30%, yes.

However, creating a full body suit for a size 6 character requires about 64 slots (based on the armour example in Junkman Cometh pg. 70), so the minimum frame you'd be working with is frame 5, or 86 slots.

The basic AV 1 to start uses 8.6 slots, and each additional AV takes up 5 slots (frame 5) when adding using the raises method. You only have 22 slots to work with (as you need 64 for person-space).

8.6+25 = 33.6 slots, putting you over by 11.6 slots. A 30% reduction only gives you 23.52 slots, putting you over by 1.52 slots still.

You could only do 4 raises to armour, and would need to take the 40% slot reduction for a total of 20.02 slots used (leaving you with 1.98 left).

AND the whole things still weighs a little more than 40Lbs.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:24 pm

But you would have AV 5 to all locations. That counts for a lot. Just ask the X-Suit (poor X-Suit and its AV 4 - enough to attract big guns, too little to survive).
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Templar
Seasoned

#4 Postby Templar » Sun May 01, 2011 4:17 am

On a somewhat different note, if someone wanted to use it to make light armor what would you reccomend doing on that front?

Jack_Spade
Novice

#5 Postby Jack_Spade » Sun May 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Templar wrote:On a somewhat different note, if someone wanted to use it to make light armor what would you reccomend doing on that front?

As a working calculation, I'd just halve the weight (from 2Lbs per slot to 1Lb) and double the AV gains into light armour.

For example: a raise is worth 1 AV and weighs 2Lbs per slot; as light armour, it's worth AV -2 and weighs only 1Lb per slot.

rungok
Novice

#6 Postby rungok » Sun May 15, 2011 6:06 am

What about using the Miniaturize tool trick, could that help with the number of slots as well?

Is there a power or trick that can reduce the weight of an object being made?

Templar
Seasoned

#7 Postby Templar » Mon May 16, 2011 12:20 am

rungok wrote:What about using the Miniaturize tool trick, could that help with the number of slots as well?

Is there a power or trick that can reduce the weight of an object being made?

my thoughts for miniaturize on armor all I can see is either that it might reduce coverage or something similar, but I can see the issue too. The miniaturize trick I know doesn't work on weapons or vehicles, but I wasn't sure on armor.

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

#8 Postby ScooterinAB » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:49 pm

In the same vain as weapons and vehicles, I would say that you cannot miniaturize armor. You would either decrease the deadspace (and make it very tight) or directly impact the protectiveness of it.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

Templar
Seasoned

#9 Postby Templar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:05 pm

ScooterinAB wrote:In the same vain as weapons and vehicles, I would say that you cannot miniaturize armor. You would either decrease the deadspace (and make it very tight) or directly impact the protectiveness of it.

I'd normally say that too, the only reason I sort of wonder on it is that you can actually lower the number of slots consumed by a high roll in percentages. I might say that you couldn't miniaturize it more than 1 step or so, but I do think there is some precedent for it.

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

#10 Postby ScooterinAB » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:24 pm

I would disagree. A high construction roll implies that you made it better in the first place (or summoned a better tech spirit), while miniaturize just makes it smaller. I would see the locomotion example as a stronger precedent than the ill-worded reference in the power.

It should be noted that the book says that a raise reduces the number of slots needed to mount it, not the number of slots it takes up. I'm not exactly sure what this means, but it could be referring to vehicles (load points?) rather than a human wearer. I'd have to look through some other material to verify this though.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”