Mounted Extraction

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

nDervish
Seasoned

Mounted Extraction

#1 Postby nDervish » Sun May 11, 2014 3:06 pm

Are there any existing supplements or house rules which contain an Edge similar to Extraction that works when mounted, allowing someone to do a ride-by attack without giving the target a free attack by withdrawing from melee?

If not, I'm considering allowing mounted use of the standard Extraction Edges, provided that both the rider and the mount have Extraction (which implicitly requires the rider to have previously spent an Edge to make the mount exceptional and able to gain Advances) and replacing the regular Agility roll with rolling the lowest of the rider's Agility, the mount's Agility, or the rider's Riding skill.

Other suggestions are welcome, though, aside from "use a weapon with Reach" (because a: we've already thought of it and b: the character in question prefers axes over spears/lances).

Or, more generally, how badly would it break the game to give everyone the ability automatically (no Edges or special weapons required) to make move-by attacks without provoking free counterattacks? The player who asked me about this probably got the idea from last week's game, when they were attacked by fliers who did move-bys and (at least tried to) end their moves high enough to be safe from ground-based melee attacks. I'm thinking here about something along the lines of "a character who is adjacent to enemies at neither the beginning nor end of the round may move to engage an enemy, attack, and withdraw without allowing that enemy a free attack unless the enemy is on Hold and successfully interrupts the move-by attack", possibly also adding in a -2 to hit, just to provide a disincentive to do this constantly.

Enno
Veteran

#2 Postby Enno » Sun May 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Horses can get edges too, if you train them.
High Sage of Hoenir & Scribe of Qedeshet

Zadmar
Legendary

#3 Postby Zadmar » Sun May 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Clint has previous stated that:

Clint wrote:The mount would need the Extraction Edge too and win their own opposed roll (or the GM would have to come up with an Edge that allows a rider to do a similar effect with a mount).

Personally I would allow a player to take Extraction with the trapping "applies to both mount and rider, but only works while the character is mounted", and perhaps add a Riding d8 requirement. It would obviously be more powerful while the character is mounted, but if they were knocked off their horse or otherwise forced to fight on foot, they'd gain no benefit from the Edge.

tigerguy786
Veteran

#4 Postby tigerguy786 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:33 am

Zadmar wrote:Clint has previous stated that:

Clint wrote:The mount would need the Extraction Edge too and win their own opposed roll (or the GM would have to come up with an Edge that allows a rider to do a similar effect with a mount).

Personally I would allow a player to take Extraction with the trapping "applies to both mount and rider, but only works while the character is mounted", and perhaps add a Riding d8 requirement. It would obviously be more powerful while the character is mounted, but if they were knocked off their horse or otherwise forced to fight on foot, they'd gain no benefit from the Edge.

This seems like the most fair thing to do
"Well, you do know what those who underestimate tigers always say right?"
"What?"
"They scream, 'Oh god help me I'm being mauled to death by a tiger.'"

Sadric
Heroic

#5 Postby Sadric » Mon May 12, 2014 1:53 am

Enno wrote:Horses can get edges too, if you train them.

You roll for horses leveling up like for extras? Nice idea.
Or what do you mean with "train".

Snate56
Legendary

#6 Postby Snate56 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:18 am

Train in this case means to teach.

You wish your horse to have the Brave Edge so you explain how you are training him to not shy away from guys with sharp pointy things or condition him to not react to gunfire.
Granted, there are a lot of Edges that wouldn't apply to horses; training your horse to be Ambidextrous would be rather pointless. :-D
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Enno
Veteran

#7 Postby Enno » Mon May 12, 2014 4:29 am

Sadric wrote:
Enno wrote:Horses can get edges too, if you train them.

You roll for horses leveling up like for extras? Nice idea.
Or what do you mean with "train".

Usually it's an action between adventures and you add the edge if your GM allows it.

If the horse, dog or henchmen survive some adventuring with the characters they might level up according to the ally rules if your GM allows it.

The GM can also simply add the edge to the animal.
High Sage of Hoenir & Scribe of Qedeshet

nDervish
Seasoned

#8 Postby nDervish » Mon May 12, 2014 5:02 am

Zadmar wrote:Clint has previous stated that:

Ah, cool. Thanks for the reference! This will make one of my players very happy.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”