Rules you just blatantly ignore?

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

kreider204
Heroic

#21 Postby kreider204 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 pm

A common house rule for running is Pace + 1d4 + 2 - still a bit random, but not so much.
"It only takes an extra second to be courteous."
- Constable Benton Fraser

Thunderforge
Veteran

#22 Postby Thunderforge » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:03 am

I just thought of another rule we completely ignore (and didn't even realize we were ignoring until recently):
Replacement Characters: When a character dies, his new hero begins play with half the Experience Points his former hero had (round down). If a character died with 17 Experience Points, for example, his replacement enters play with 8 points. (pg. 37)
We just always give replacement characters the same amount of XP as their original characters. It's not because we're afraid of party imbalance or anything, we just like to reward people who show up to more sessions to always have more XP.

DerFinsterling
Legendary

#23 Postby DerFinsterling » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:12 am

kreider204 wrote:
Sean-Khan wrote:Unfortunately encumbrance is what makes Str a meaning stat, at least outside medieval -type settings.

To be clearer, I don't ignore the idea completely - I just sorta eyeball it, keeping in mind the character's Strength, rather than counting up the weight of every tiny object.

That's how I handle it as well - I only enforce the encumbrance rules in certain situations. Like, the characters have to abandon their horses to explore a cavern. Or they're soldiers about to embark on a patrol into the jungle.

Rachan
Seasoned

#24 Postby Rachan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:43 am

I think it's randomized to account for small obstacles, your shoes slipping in the dirt, double checking to make sure there's no lead flying first, etc. Making the choice to run has a few more hazards than somewhat-carefully moving your normal speed.
77IM wrote:… it's not specifically allowed by the rules, but the GM is specifically allowed to allow it. :wink:

Calden
Novice

#25 Postby Calden » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:47 am

DerFinsterling wrote:
kreider204 wrote:
Sean-Khan wrote:Unfortunately encumbrance is what makes Str a meaning stat, at least outside medieval -type settings.

To be clearer, I don't ignore the idea completely - I just sorta eyeball it, keeping in mind the character's Strength, rather than counting up the weight of every tiny object.

That's how I handle it as well - I only enforce the encumbrance rules in certain situations. Like, the characters have to abandon their horses to explore a cavern. Or they're soldiers about to embark on a patrol into the jungle.

I usually encourage my players to buy backpacks. Their weight allowance then only really governs their main equipment, like weapons and armour, and unless they are caught by surprise, or have to be carrying their backpacks into the fight, they are assumed to have dropped the pack before getting into a scrap. Even then I let them ditch the pack as a single Action, allowing them to retrieve it easily at the end of combat in most situation.

tylermo
Heroic

#26 Postby tylermo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:03 am

Since 2004 I have ignored all of the written rules. Utter crap. :-) I think I got my copy of the rules from a box of Cracker Jacks. In all seriousness, there's not much I don't like. If I think of something, I'll get back to you.

Clint
Site Admin

#27 Postby Clint » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:11 pm

SavageGamerGirl wrote:Ok, ok, fine...

Running.

I don't like the random d6 extra distance for running.

If you're jogging, skip-stepping, keeping low, etc., then I can understand a randomized distance for moving.

But, IMO, there should be a set amount for an all out straight sprint with little thought to defense and all thought to speed.

HOWEVER, I'm going to run the rules as written to see if I can live with the randomized speed before I decide whether or not to nix it. Ergo, my initial sentence still stands. :-D

Rachan wrote:I think it's randomized to account for small obstacles, your shoes slipping in the dirt, double checking to make sure there's no lead flying first, etc. Making the choice to run has a few more hazards than somewhat-carefully moving your normal speed.

What he said. It's not about a straight out sprint; it's about trying to move fast in the middle of a combat or chase where the character could get distracted, tripped up, etc.

It's also about game play. There's little to no tension to being able to automatically run X distance without any chance of "failure." A random roll adds the tension of "Will I make it to the bomb, enemy, last Mountain Dew, etc. in time???"
Last edited by Clint on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

77IM
Heroic

#28 Postby 77IM » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Some more:

- We reduce cover modifiers for your own allies (if your path is fully blocked by an ally it's maybe a -1). This way the melee guys and ranged guys can cooperate rather than interfering with each other.

- We don't give a gang-up bonus for Shaken characters.

- We don't require Tricks to be done at melee range.

- We allow any combo of hindrances, up to 4 points' worth (so, 2 major or 4 minor).

I guess our group mostly follows the rules that are there and is more into adding/modifying rules.

-- 77IM

jpk
Legendary

#29 Postby jpk » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Well, we generally never remember to treat people as cover unless someone's pulling a human shield trick. We've not decided to ignore it, we just never think of it.

Freaky, but true.

Bavix
Seasoned

What?!?!?

#30 Postby Bavix » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:03 am

77IM wrote:

-- 77IM

Oh crap... We've NEVER let Shaken characters add to gang-up bonuses. Don't tell me we've been houseruling this and didn't realize it?

newForumNewName
Heroic

Re: What?!?!?

#31 Postby newForumNewName » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:51 am

Bavix wrote:
77IM wrote:

-- 77IM

Oh crap... We've NEVER let Shaken characters add to gang-up bonuses. Don't tell me we've been houseruling this and didn't realize it?

OK. I won't tell you.
"I had a whole bunch of advice for you but got ninja'd by newForumNewName. I'd just do what he says." -- 77IM

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH

Borias
Novice

Re: What?!?!?

#32 Postby Borias » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:05 am

Bavix wrote:
77IM wrote:

-- 77IM

Don't feel bad, we've never done it either. I'm not sure any of us have ever moved 1/2 pace while shaken either...

Thunderforge
Veteran

#33 Postby Thunderforge » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:41 pm

jpk wrote:Well, we generally never remember to treat people as cover unless someone's pulling a human shield trick. We've not decided to ignore it, we just never think of it.

Huh, didn't know this was a rule. In that other system, it isn't, so we just assumed it was the same. Guess that's another rule we ignore.

AlienMasters
Novice

#34 Postby AlienMasters » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Calden wrote:I usually encourage my players to buy backpacks. Their weight allowance then only really governs their main equipment, like weapons and armour, and unless they are caught by surprise, or have to be carrying their backpacks into the fight, they are assumed to have dropped the pack before getting into a scrap. Even then I let them ditch the pack as a single Action, allowing them to retrieve it easily at the end of combat in most situation.

Aye same here on the backpacks, Calden. I can tell you from personal experience that this is the way infantry soldiers on patrol deal with all the weight they have to carry when contact is made - drop the pack! Modern day military backpacks have quickrelease tabs for this purpose, so in those settings dropping those should probably be a free action. Another 'real life' consideration in these situations is that the backpacks can even be used for light cover if there is no better option nearby.

For the main thread topic: We use the rules as written in the core rules in all the cases mentioned in this thread. The one rule intentionally ignored in all my Savage games is Experience. Instead, every attending player gets one advance for their PC at the start of every session. Advances and Ranks work exactly as written otherwise. In my college days of gaming all week long that might have been too fast character progression, but nowadays we game once a week at best. Starting the session by picking an advance helps players to review their characters and have their abilities fresh in their mind for the session, and gives an immediate sense of accomplishment for the session. It's our FFF houserule that avoids unneeded arbitration and paperwork, and keeps the main characters of the story moving along.

After all, heroes getting better at doing stuff is a central component to many epic tales, and often as important a part of the story as 'the main plot' itself. :duel:

Lysander
Seasoned

#35 Postby Lysander » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:31 pm

I run as GM that all players have No Mercy for free (not sure if this counts). That way, they can bennie a bad damage roll if it seems warranted. But then again, so can the GM...

(Anything I can to to pull bennies out of them..., you'd think they were astral diamonds or something...)

I combine Climb and Swim into 'Athletics' (Not sure it that counts either...)

Lord Lance
Heroic

#36 Postby Lord Lance » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:23 am

77IM wrote: - We don't give a gang-up bonus for Shaken characters.

- We don't require Tricks to be done at melee range.

Yeah, we do that too.

@AlienMasters: nice trick the backpack dropped and used like a last-hope cover... :wink:
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

Clint
Site Admin

#37 Postby Clint » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:50 am

77IM wrote: - We don't require Tricks to be done at melee range.

Oddly enough, neither do the actual rules. ;)
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

screenmonkey
Veteran

#38 Postby screenmonkey » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:47 am

We ignore the "no you don't get to roll for xp with your left over bennies at the end of the session" rule. :1eek13:

My players played too long with it and it's just too damn fun to not roll for xp at the end of the session.

Clint
Site Admin

#39 Postby Clint » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:23 am

screenmonkey wrote:We ignore the "no you don't get to roll for xp with your left over bennies at the end of the session" rule. :1eek13:

Is it possible to ignore the non-existence of something? ;)
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

JmOz01
Seasoned

#40 Postby JmOz01 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:44 am

screenmonkey wrote:We ignore the "no you don't get to roll for xp with your left over bennies at the end of the session" rule. :1eek13:

My players played too long with it and it's just too damn fun to not roll for xp at the end of the session.

I modded that one so that you get to roll while NOvice rank.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”