[SPC] Questions...

Information and comments on all Pinnacle official Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
drcheckmate
Veteran
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:01 am
Location: Gator Country
Contact:

[SPC] Questions...

#1 Postby drcheckmate » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:25 am

If Construct costs 5 and Undead costs 4, how would folks price Elemental or Demon (from the FC)?

If you buy any of the above and Animal Control with the Shapechanger modifer, does it really make sense for all the alternate forms to have to also "buy" the above powers?

On the subject of Shapechange and Animal Control in general, does 10 points buy you all the other animals under it, or does the point cost work more like Infection - effects are bought separately?

And how about the adaptable shape shifter? Rather than taking alternate forms they're just shifting points between Strength, Vigor, and Agility as needed. How would you do that? Switchable and an assortment of Super Attribute builds?

One last question: Has anyone tried linking Toughness to Strength instead of Vigor? I think in non-SPC games this would make a neat racial trait, but after reviewing the Growth power, I'm not so sure it is a good idea for supers games.

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19373
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

Re: [SPC] Questions...

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:19 am

drcheckmate wrote:If Construct costs 5 and Undead costs 4, how would folks price Elemental or Demon (from the FC)?


Elemental = 5
Demon = 19
(Demons effectively have Full Coverage Immunity except against cold iron/magic).

drcheckmate wrote:If you buy any of the above and Animal Control with the Shapechanger modifer, does it really make sense for all the alternate forms to have to also "buy" the above powers?


They wouldn't have to; nothing about Shapechanger says the character doesn't have access to their other powers. :-?

drcheckmate wrote:On the subject of Shapechange and Animal Control in general, does 10 points buy you all the other animals under it, or does the point cost work more like Infection - effects are bought separately?


Each listing is inclusive of the lower ones, so yeah, 10 points buys all the options up to or less than what is listed.

drcheckmate wrote:And how about the adaptable shape shifter? Rather than taking alternate forms they're just shifting points between Strength, Vigor, and Agility as needed. How would you do that? Switchable and an assortment of Super Attribute builds?


Possibly, but it would be more dependent on the character design than the power design to me. Why can the character do this, and why is it all they can do?

For instance, another option could be a variant on Super Sorcery where the trappings limit the powers to physical alterations, but without any Backlash (or borrowing points either). The character rolls Shapeshifting instead of Spellcasting to change his abilities, and on a 1 suffers bio-feedback that causes him to be Shaken and drop his abilities.

drcheckmate wrote:One last question: Has anyone tried linking Toughness to Strength instead of Vigor? I think in non-SPC games this would make a neat racial trait, but after reviewing the Growth power, I'm not so sure it is a good idea for supers games.


I'm not aware of anyone doing it, and I don't think I'd recommend it as it links damage avoidance directly to damage infliction in one Attribute (on top of the existing secondary linkage where a higher Strength allows a character to wear heavier and better armor).
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

User avatar
drcheckmate
Veteran
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:01 am
Location: Gator Country
Contact:

Re: [SPC] Questions...

#3 Postby drcheckmate » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Clint wrote:Elemental = 5
Demon = 19
(Demons effectively have Full Coverage Immunity except against cold iron/magic).


Forgot the immunity thing. Thank you.

They wouldn't have to; nothing about Shapechanger says the character doesn't have access to their other powers. :-?


:oops: ah. Well, it's obvious when you put it like that. Sorry.

I'm not sure Sorcery is the way I would want to go on this, but that is definitely food for thought. Hmmm...

And, Strength thing is crazy broken, I just thought it would be a flavor thing for a super strong and tough race, but I have no idea how to balance it so it is less of a game breaker.

Poor Wandering One
Veteran
Posts: 575
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: [SPC] Questions...

#4 Postby Poor Wandering One » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:41 am

drcheckmate wrote:And, Strength thing is crazy broken, I just thought it would be a flavor thing for a super strong and tough race, but I have no idea how to balance it so it is less of a game breaker.


Crazy broken?
I must have missed something. Could you go into more detail? Perhaps with examples for us poor wanderers?

Thanks
~will

User avatar
drcheckmate
Veteran
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:01 am
Location: Gator Country
Contact:

Re: [SPC] Questions...

#5 Postby drcheckmate » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 pm

Clint wrote:
drcheckmate wrote:One last question: Has anyone tried linking Toughness to Strength instead of Vigor? I think in non-SPC games this would make a neat racial trait, but after reviewing the Growth power, I'm not so sure it is a good idea for supers games.


I'm not aware of anyone doing it, and I don't think I'd recommend it as it links damage avoidance directly to damage infliction in one Attribute (on top of the existing secondary linkage where a higher Strength allows a character to wear heavier and better armor).


That. That right there. What Clint said. And, my specific issue is - as a racial trait, like the human's free edge - how does one balance that?

JmOz01
Seasoned
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Re: [SPC] Questions...

#6 Postby JmOz01 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:57 pm

drcheckmate wrote:If Construct costs 5 and Undead costs 4, how would folks price Elemental or Demon (from the FC)?


Umm...Construct costs less than undead? Really, I might be wrong (Probably am) but doesn't undead do everything construct does plus give additional defences? Not seeing why it would cost less...

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19373
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

Re: [SPC] Questions...

#7 Postby Clint » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:25 pm

JmOz01 wrote:Umm...Construct costs less than undead? Really, I might be wrong (Probably am) but doesn't undead do everything construct does plus give additional defences?


Nope, not as a power in the SPC. There are some similarities, but also some significant differences.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager



www.peginc.com


Return to “SW Official Settings & Companions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests