Roll20 rules set

Post questions or comments directly to the Pinnacle crew here. Please be patient and try to keep conversations to a BARE minimum--the guys get a LOT of mail! Please also direct rules questions to the relevant forum--most folks there will already know what you're looking for. Thanks!

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Gildashard
Novice

Roll20 rules set

#1 Postby Gildashard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Any chance of you guys supporting a Savage Worlds rules set on Roll20.net?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Roll20 rules set

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:55 pm

Roll20 was built to support Savage Worlds. One of the programmers was pretty active on this forum, and he wanted to be able to use it with his system of choice.

Not sure what kind of support you're hoping Pinnacle will provide.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

ManuFS
Novice

#3 Postby ManuFS » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:18 am

Roll20 already has most of the functions of Savage Worlds available. Card-based initiative, Savage Worlds character sheets (which, with an API plugin, can handle initiative modifiers like Quick), you can simulate bennies by creating a custom card deck and hand out bennie "cards"... the one thing I have to do myself is create macros for the Bolt power and high RoF weapons. :) Anything else to my knowledge already works.
The Savage German
My blog about all things Savage Worlds I do.

Savage Shadowrun Second Edition
My conversion bringing the second edition of Shadowrun to Savage Worlds

Gildashard
Novice

#4 Postby Gildashard » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:48 am

It's not that Roll20 can't handle Savage Worlds rules, its the setup time to get it there. ManuFS, you mention using the API to handle initiative rules, but that's custom, some user has to create and put it in place.

Have you guys played Fantasy grounds with the Savage Worlds module? All of the rules just seem to be there....yeah its additional cost but call me lazy.....or just a 40 year old guy with a family who doesn't have all the time in the world and is willing to pay for whatever shortcuts he can get.

The FG rules set:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=DGASW3
PEG obviously supporting it:
https://www.peginc.com/major-upgrades-to-savage-worlds-on-fantasy-grounds/
Video of it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCu4s0apBbw

Darq666
Veteran

#5 Postby Darq666 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:25 pm

What is it you want it to do that it doesn't do?

ManuFS
Novice

#6 Postby ManuFS » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:21 am

I don't feel like it's a matter of "what", more of "how" on Gildashard's end. Roll20 can be used free, and it can do pretty much everything FG can, but you have to invest some work into it yourself. FG gives you everything in a neat package, but at some initial and additional package cost. It's a matter of taste of approach, really. :)
The Savage German

Gildashard
Novice

#7 Postby Gildashard » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:56 pm

The base FG and base Roll20 seem about the same with both having some Pros and Cons, they have generic tools that users can use to create macros and APIs to make them do what you want....with work. The difference I'm talking about is with FG you can buy system specific modules with the work already done. For $9.99 you can buy the core Savage Worlds module which seems to have the rules built in to FG plus skins it to a SW theme. I'm assuming that FG creates these module via some contract with Pinnacle and they share the profit.

Roll20 has done this some with D&D 5e. Since the base rules are available free on the WOTC site (SRD), Roll20 is free to implement those rules directly in their interface. You can pull items from the 5e roll20 compendium and drag and items, spells, monsters. etc.

So back to the original question to Pinnacle, are there any plans to do the same with Roll20?

blindST
Novice

#8 Postby blindST » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:14 am

I'd like to throw out a +1 for more support for Savage World on Roll20. As a disabled gamer with a table of disabled players, Roll20 is a invaluable resource for us. Savage Worlds is, quite possibly, their newest favorite system obsession. What it comes down to is this: The more resources we have, the more we can use your product, the more I can convince them to buy more books and they're just itching to throw money at the screen for your products. Thank you for your time.

Gildashard
Novice

#9 Postby Gildashard » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:12 pm

I wonder if FG has an exclusive license agreement. Just looking at their home page....

Savage Worlds
It's Fast and Furious and it's only available on Fantasy Grounds.

Now I could go the Fantasy grounds route, I haven't quite decided which. Roll20 has a free account so you can try it out. I have the demo of FG and have played in a few games and the Savage Worlds modules has cool integration options. But Roll20 has some cool features being its web based I can get to it anywhere from any computer.

Darq666
Veteran

#10 Postby Darq666 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:14 pm

I think the biggest plus for roll20 (I have both and am currently working on a set of Low Life modules for Fantasy Grounds), is it has dynamic lighting which FG does not.

ManuFS
Novice

#11 Postby ManuFS » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:09 am

Darq666 wrote:I think the biggest plus for roll20 (I have both and am currently working on a set of Low Life modules for Fantasy Grounds), is it has dynamic lighting which FG does not.

Not yet, but they are working on it. No idea if they've set a release date, though.
The Savage German

Matchstickman
Seasoned

#12 Postby Matchstickman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:14 am

You do know that Pinnacle was absolutely nothing to do with the Fantasy Grounds conversation other than allowing it to happen, right?
It's built and maintained by a fan who gets a percentage of each sale (Fantasy Grounds gets some and so does Pinnacle) but all the work is done by fans, and if I remember correctly it's just one guy.
If you want something to happen on Roll20 do what PhantomWhale did and do it yourself.
Collegium member: "Science is not an exact science."

Gildashard
Novice

#13 Postby Gildashard » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:35 pm

I wish I had the programming skill but alas I do not.

Darq666
Veteran

#14 Postby Darq666 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:07 pm

Gildashard wrote:I wish I had the programming skill but alas I do not.

The Character Sheet (Major lift) is already done and part of roll20. Most of the fun things you want to do are just text macros. Go into their Savage Worlds Wiki for info on what to do to set up stuff like exploding dice: https://wiki.roll20.net/Savage_Worlds

Since it's free - no reason to not take an hour and try setting up some macros - there are also a bunch of step by step tutorials on youtube. You do have to subscribe to get the fun stuff like dynamic lighting, but only the GM needs to, not your whole group.

Oh and don't spin your wheels if you get stuck, post on their forums you will receive responses in a timely fashion! Fantasy Grounds ALSO has a Savage Worlds wiki and forum and their fanbase is also great about responding.

Return to “Hey Pinnacle!”