Sixth Gun in game prices?

Post questions or comments directly to the Pinnacle crew here. Please be patient and try to keep conversations to a BARE minimum--the guys get a LOT of mail! Please also direct rules questions to the relevant forum--most folks there will already know what you're looking for. Thanks!

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Shenron
Seasoned

Sixth Gun in game prices?

#1 Postby Shenron » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:47 pm

This may be a really random question but how accurate are the in game prices for goods and services in Sixth Gun as in relates to historic prices in the 18xx Western/frontier era?
"Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

Re: Sixth Gun in game prices?

#2 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:38 pm

If they're like a typical Savage Setting, the price is balanced to the system, and do not necessarily reflect real-world pricing.

If you like real-world prices, you can order old Sears Catalogs from Amazon. Back in the day you could order just about anything from a Sears Catalog, from clothes to appliances to even wagons and horse supplies. A good old-school catalog can be a several hundred page long equipment list! :D
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

fanchergw
Heroic

#3 Postby fanchergw » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:03 am

SavageGamerGirl wrote:If you like real-world prices, you can order old Sears Catalogs from Amazon. Back in the day you could order just about anything from a Sears Catalog, from clothes to appliances to even wagons and horse supplies. A good old-school catalog can be a several hundred page long equipment list! :D

When I was a kid half a century ago, the Sears Christmas catalog was amazing! It was at least two inches thick, with color pictures of everything printed on thin glossy paper. The toys and games section was a kid's dream world, but it also had an incredible selection of just about everything anyone could think of to want.

Gordon

Shenron
Seasoned

#4 Postby Shenron » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:06 am

SavageGamerGirl wrote:If they're like a typical Savage Setting, the price is balanced to the system, and do not necessarily reflect real-world pricing.

If you like real-world prices, you can order old Sears Catalogs from Amazon. Back in the day you could order just about anything from a Sears Catalog, from clothes to appliances to even wagons and horse supplies. A good old-school catalog can be a several hundred page long equipment list! :D

Ya, you are probably right. I was looking up prices for that era and the ones in the book seemed to be in the ballpark.
"Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

#5 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:43 pm

I have an 1895 Sears catalog, and if your're running something Victorian it's awesome. $1 back then was worth *about* $20 in today's money (give or take, that's a good round number to use), so converting Savage Worlds money "real world" money usually just means dividing by 20.

Shenron
Seasoned

#6 Postby Shenron » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:37 pm

SavageGamerGirl wrote:I have an 1895 Sears catalog, and if your're running something Victorian it's awesome. $1 back then was worth *about* $20 in today's money (give or take, that's a good round number to use), so converting Savage Worlds money "real world" money usually just means dividing by 20.

This is pretty awesome. I wonder if I could find one from like 1870

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#7 Postby SeeleyOne » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:53 am

Sears catalogs claimed to have low prices, so they might be lower than normal.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

#8 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:07 pm

Well, for game purposes, it's probably good enough.

Return to “Hey Pinnacle!”