Kickstarter shipping fees

Post questions or comments directly to the Pinnacle crew here. Please be patient and try to keep conversations to a BARE minimum--the guys get a LOT of mail! Please also direct rules questions to the relevant forum--most folks there will already know what you're looking for. Thanks!

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

yojimbouk
Novice

Kickstarter shipping fees

#1 Postby yojimbouk » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:22 am

HI Pinnacle,

I was going to back the Rifts Kickstarter for print products until I saw the $70 shipping fee to the UK. In the end I backed for digital products only. Is there any way you guys could sort out an EU distribution deal to reduce the shipping cost?

Thanks.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Kickstarter shipping fees

#2 Postby Clint » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:29 am

yojimbouk wrote:I was going to back the Rifts Kickstarter for print products until I saw the $70 shipping fee to the UK. In the end I backed for digital products only. Is there any way you guys could sort out an EU distribution deal to reduce the shipping cost?

I'm not Jodi (that would be weird), but from the FAQ on the Kickstarter...

We agree that international shipping rates are very tough these days. (You can check various rates for yourself at usps.gov.) We have received quotes from multiple shipping partners in the EU but so far haven't found much in the way of savings by the time we pay for packing here, freighting to Europe, then re-packaging under a partner's label and shipping from there. We continue to research this constantly though, and if we find a way to reduce the costs we'll figure out how to pass that savings on to you.

Please realize too that part of our problem is that our books are priced very low compared to most other company's books, so it feels weird to pay half as much or more in shipping as the retail price of the books (depending on how many books you've ordered and where you live). We like more accessible books at our price point though and tend to avoid larger $50 books, so we hope you find the *total* value worth the expense--we certainly do everything we can to pack our books full, keep the quality of the art as high as we can get it, and add value to your Kickstarter pledge in particular via our Stretch Goals.

All that said, we recommend two options for our overseas friends. First, you might want to consider combining an order with friends--adding additional copies of the products as Add Ons and splitting the shipping costs. Second, consider backing the digital levels now and buying the print products when they show up in your local gaming store.

Thanks for understanding, and again, it's an issue we are *constantly* attempting to address and improve.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

ciryon
Novice

#3 Postby ciryon » Tue May 03, 2016 3:31 pm

I did post somewhere else without seeing this same topic : posting.php?mode=quote&f=27&p=443653

ciryon wrote:Hello,

I have been waiting for months for the Rifts Kickstarter but I cannot fund it.

I am an old school game master and I prefer paper books over PDF.

The contribution I was wanting to fund was all the minimum books for game mastering. I discovered that there was not one books but severals. This is the 85$ level contribution, it was a bit over my leisure budget for April but I could afford it. But I am in France and the shipping cost are an abusive 70$, almost the contribution level so this is way over my budget.

The only consolation prize I have would be choosing the digital GM level for 45$ but no books, just PDF so I am disappointed, so much wait and no books. At this time, I have not yet fund the Kickstarter project, the objective have been fully reached but I don't even know if non-backers not in US will have the opportunity to buy the books in a French RPG store later (considering it is becoming harder to find US RPG now considering the Euro - Dollar value now) or if only the backers will have the books.

Is there any way to lower the shipping cost because otherwise this is a deal-breaker for me.

well considering I am the only one of my friend's group who are wanting to back this and considering I am no even sure to find the books in a french rpg store, I may undestand your point but I am still disapointed, I was waiting for this since your 2015 announcement....

Fatpob
Novice

#4 Postby Fatpob » Fri May 06, 2016 3:45 am

The shipping is spanky, but I backed the full shizzle anyway.

A possibility is if they talk with either esdevium games or spiral galaxies, both distribute to the UK and europe. Maybe if they could reach out to Chris @ Modiphius who has run several successful kickstarters and distributes the other way as it were. Maybe even see if Asmodee/FFG can help. Perhaps Fred Hicks @ Evil Hat may be able to help, he doing a KS right now and is shipping to europe so will have something planned I am sure. I am sure they all would be willing to offer help and advice.

A big question I suppose is how many european backers are there vs how many if the shipping was $20-40?

ciryon
Novice

#5 Postby ciryon » Fri May 06, 2016 3:48 am

It is too late for me. I have backed the digital GM level. I cannot afford 155$ this month especially because it is also possible I lose my current job. I will cope with this.

steelbrok
Veteran

#6 Postby steelbrok » Fri May 06, 2016 5:36 am

Fatpob wrote:The shipping is spanky, but I backed the full shizzle anyway.

A possibility is if they talk with either esdevium games or spiral galaxies, both distribute to the UK and europe. Maybe if they could reach out to Chris @ Modiphius who has run several successful kickstarters and distributes the other way as it were. Maybe even see if Asmodee/FFG can help. Perhaps Fred Hicks @ Evil Hat may be able to help, he doing a KS right now and is shipping to europe so will have something planned I am sure. I am sure they all would be willing to offer help and advice.

A big question I suppose is how many european backers are there vs how many if the shipping was $20-40?

Good ideas. I think the question is more how many European backers would increase their pledges from Pdf only.

I did a bit of checking and was really surprised at how much more post from US to UK is compared to UK to US, it's about three times as much. This isn't really a Pinnacle issue it's just that they're in the wrong country :)

some people in the EU have expressed concerns over VAT payments on imports, using a UK hub would get around that as there is no VAT on books in the UK and sending from UK into other EU countries would mean no VAT for them either (IIRC!)

Fatpob
Novice

#7 Postby Fatpob » Fri May 06, 2016 8:22 am

Looking at Evil Hats Dresden Files Card game, the shipping has gone from $50 via US postal to $15 via using GamesQuest for a 2KG parcel - so perhaps if PEG contact them. That is significant saving

Hotline:+44 (01) 730 891346 Email:contact@gamesquest.co.uk Website: www.gamesquest.co.uk

BTW I have no affiliation with games quest, though I have bought games from them when online.

ciryon
Novice

#8 Postby ciryon » Fri May 06, 2016 8:26 am

Rifts SaWO is my 3rd Kickstarter projetc I fund.
The first was Green Ronin's Blue Rose 2nd edition, I think the shipping fees were around 30-40 $
The second was the Scarred Lands for D&D5 and it was a hefty 60 $...

marshal kt
Legendary

#9 Postby marshal kt » Fri May 06, 2016 4:51 pm

What people don't understand is that BOTH countries get paid the normal FULL shipping cost for an item
So, yes, you're paying or postage twice.
For example. Postage for the US to the UK. In the US postage is paid for delivery to NY, where the international airport and US Customs is located.
Then there's the fee for it to fly on a commercial airline.
Then UK gets paid for postage from the airport and customs to the address on the item.

So, you want estimate postage? Take you books and box them up. Put them on a scale and check the weight.
Go to USPS.com and then to the the other countries website. Calculate postage from your city of origin, say High Point, NC 27260 to New York, say 10019. an address from tv for NY.
Then from a major or capitol city, say London in UK and what city you live.
"I'm Hotep"

ciryon
Novice

#10 Postby ciryon » Sat May 07, 2016 1:20 am

marshal kt wrote:What people don't understand is that BOTH countries get paid the normal FULL shipping cost for an item
So, yes, you're paying or postage twice.
For example. Postage for the US to the UK. In the US postage is paid for delivery to NY, where the international airport and US Customs is located.
Then there's the fee for it to fly on a commercial airline.
Then UK gets paid for postage from the airport and customs to the address on the item.

So, you want estimate postage? Take you books and box them up. Put them on a scale and check the weight.
Go to USPS.com and then to the the other countries website. Calculate postage from your city of origin, say High Point, NC 27260 to New York, say 10019. an address from tv for NY.
Then from a major or capitol city, say London in UK and what city you live.

I have simulated a purchase of the Atlas of Rokugan for L5R on Noble Knight, you can see by yourself that if USPS is 72$, there are also much less expansive shipping fees available :

Fatpob
Novice

#11 Postby Fatpob » Sat May 07, 2016 4:56 am

Shipping like printing & production, is all about numbers, the more you have to ship the cheaper it becomes (per unit not overall because that is silly).

There is also distance, shipping from USA to Europe is going to be more expensive to ship from Europe to Europe.

Depending on where the product is printed, it is feasible (if quantities allow) to split the delivery from factory to a US destination and a Europe destination. Obviously there is the initial delivery cost to the first destination, but that can be negotiated in the print run details.

If a larger international print factory is producing the product, there is a certainty they will be shipping products to other locations, and therefore to pallet shift it with other deliveries may not be as expensive as you think.

There are potential issues with making sure correct stuff gets collated and shipped, plus other material needing to be there to be collated and shipped at same time, there is also a possible quality check issue, especially if you don't see the goods, but most large print/distribution organisations have a reputation to keep, and wouldn't knowingly produce inferior products for elsewhere to save a pittance.

SW Rifts seems to be a massive KS for PEG, doubling previous KS with time left, so there are huge logistics ahead. I do believe a lower European delivery cost would push the KS much higher as folk plumb for the printed products over the PDFs.

Return to “Hey Pinnacle!”