A Question about Damage Ratings

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

CyricPL
Novice

A Question about Damage Ratings

#1 Postby CyricPL » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Regarding this thread, I know it's a rather fast and loose, rough system, but I was wondering how it applies to numbers of opponents when the opponents have a lower toughness than the group's average DR? Say, if the group has a DR of around 8 or 9, how many goblins does it take for the fight to become challenging (discounting magic, etc.)?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: A Question about Damage Ratings

#2 Postby Clint » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:13 pm

CyricPL wrote:Regarding this thread, I know it's a rather fast and loose, rough system, but I was wondering how it applies to numbers of opponents when the opponents have a lower toughness than the group's average DR? Say, if the group has a DR of around 8 or 9, how many goblins does it take for the fight to become challenging (discounting magic, etc.)?

Might be better to compare the goblins' DR to the PC's Toughness in that instance. After all, it isn't a question of whether the PCs can hurt the goblins, but how well, the goblins can hurt the PCs.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#3 Postby TheLoremaster » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:10 am

CyricPL wrote:Regarding this thread, I know it's a rather fast and loose, rough system, but I was wondering how it applies to numbers of opponents when the opponents have a lower toughness than the group's average DR? Say, if the group has a DR of around 8 or 9, how many goblins does it take for the fight to become challenging (discounting magic, etc.)?

What I've used as a "rule of thumb" is that, if the party's Damage Rating is either equal to or one less than the opponent's Toughness, use a number of opponents equal to the number of PCs. For each point that the party's Damage Rating is higher than the opponent's Toughness, double the number of opponents. So if it's one higher, use twice the number of party members; two higher, four times the number of party members. If it's more than than, choose different opponents; the ones you are using are probably too easy.

Hope that helps!
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

CyricPL
Novice

#4 Postby CyricPL » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks to both of you, helpful info/viewpoints in both of those replies!

Clint
Site Admin

#5 Postby Clint » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:44 am

TheLoremaster wrote:What I've used as a "rule of thumb" is that, if the party's Damage Rating is either equal to or one less than the opponent's Toughness, use a number of opponents equal to the number of PCs. For each point that the party's Damage Rating is higher than the opponent's Toughness, double the number of opponents. So if it's one higher, use twice the number of party members; two higher, four times the number of party members.

How does that work in use? My concern is increasing the number of opponents exponentially increases their effectiveness (through Gang Up or just the odds of an aced roll among them). And when using the DR rules where the number of Extras is already doubled, that's 4x or 8x the number of PCs in Extras.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#6 Postby TheLoremaster » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:42 pm

Clint wrote:How does that work in use? My concern is increasing the number of opponents exponentially increases their effectiveness (through Gang Up or just the odds of an aced roll among them). And when using the DR rules where the number of Extras is already doubled, that's 4x or 8x the number of PCs in Extras.

It seems to work for me, but I'd love to see more playtests of it. My players commonly take Two-Fisted, Ambidextrous, Sweep, and Frenzy at low levels, then Improved versions as soon as they become available. Same with Bolt and Blast or Burst. Usually half of the mooks drop in the first round or two of combat, making it a more even fight.

Then Power Points and bennies resources have been reduced, making the rest of the fight just that much more interesting ... :twisted:

I also don't tend to give Initiative affecting Edges to groups of mooks either. I wonder how that would work out...
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”