Force tricks

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

alpasdebol
Novice

Force tricks

#1 Postby alpasdebol » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:07 am

Hello!

I want to try a new trick based on block and push the opponent.
Like a swordman I want to block the opponent's attack with my sword then push his arm to distract him.

I don't how to get this effect in game terms: I suggest a defensive position (+2 with parry) combined with an opposed roll of strenght.

What would you suggest? :?:

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#2 Postby SlasherEpoch » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:06 pm

Hm...actually, I would count what you're talking about as just a trapping of Parry. I assume swordsmen are using all the tools at their disposal as people actually would have outside a formal dual or sporting match.

Now, if you're talking about shoving your opponent off balance...

PERSONALLY

I don't have a problem with a Trick that uses Strength (for the shove) vs. Agility (to regain footing), but that's all it needs to be - a Trick.

Takeda
Heroic

#3 Postby Takeda » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:25 pm

I agree with SlasherEpoch but I take it it would be 'effective strength' for a force ability.

It could be used exactly the same way if you want to shove an opponent off their feet/balance in a weapon with sword and board, etc.

If attack is parried it could be reasoned the weapon/shield is still in contact with the attacker's weapon/shield so a shove as a trick Str vs Agl or Str to resist. I've done it that way in my game from the beginning. 8)
Dean: "Ya' know she could be faking."
Sam: "Yeah, what do you wanna do, poke her with a stick?"
[Dean nods]
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes

Dylan S
Veteran

#4 Postby Dylan S » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:35 pm

I invented a "Shove" maneuver for my 80s Action Movie setting based on Disarm. The attacker makes an attack at -2. Damage is resolved normally. Then the defender must roll STR or AGI (their choice) against the damage. If they fail, the attacker can Shove them a distance of one square, or two squares with a raise. A raise is also required to lift someone straight up in the air. 'Shove' can also be attempted with firearms, to a maximum push of a single square (this for the classic scene of a villain being riddled with bullets and staggering off a catwalk, out a window, etc). Worked well for us.

But if it's not important that you actually move the opponent on the grid, then just do what Slasher and Epoch suggested: describe it as a Trick.

Granthar
Seasoned

#5 Postby Granthar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:27 pm

Wouldnt that be an ebtangle then a strength roll?

Magnus
Veteran

#6 Postby Magnus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:07 am

Check out Baulderstone's suggestion, it might be a solution.
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=540086&page=4

alpasdebol
Novice

#7 Postby alpasdebol » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 am

Magnus wrote:Check out Baulderstone's suggestion, it might be a solution.

I'm really a dumber :1eek1:

My stupid french tongue made a mistake: I AM TALKING ABOUT STRENGHT TRICKS :oops:

I don't want to disarm the opponent but only distract him with a little push after blocking his attack...

Magnus
Veteran

#8 Postby Magnus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:32 am

alpasdebol wrote:
Magnus wrote:Check out Baulderstone's suggestion, it might be a solution.

I'm really a dumber :1eek1:

My stupid french tongue made a mistake: I AM TALKING ABOUT STRENGHT TRICKS :oops:

I don't want to disarm the opponent but only distract him with a little push after blocking his attack...

Pardon, j'ai pas fait attention. Prochaine fois je vais lire le "thread*" avant de faire des commentaires...

Magnus - Le Piorad Danois.

*Quel est le mot pour un "thread" en Francais?

Snate56
Legendary

#9 Postby Snate56 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:14 am

Aaaahh!!!
So, in addition to Agility Tricks and Smarts Tricks, you wish to add Strength Tricks to the ...errr, ..ummm....Repertoire! :-D

Actually, I don't see why not. If a big, burly guy wishes to shove a small, scrawny guy off-ballance, it would be an opposed Strength vs Strength roll, right?
The result being not to push him off a cliff or prone, but to get the -2 and/or Shaken result.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

alpasdebol
Novice

#10 Postby alpasdebol » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 am

Snate56 wrote:Aaaahh!!!
So, in addition to Agility Tricks and Smarts Tricks, you wish to add Strength Tricks to the ...errr, ..ummm....Repertoire! :-D

Actually, I don't see why not. If a big, burly guy wishes to shove a small, scrawny guy off-ballance, it would be an opposed Strength vs Strength roll, right?
The result being not to push him off a cliff or prone, but to get the -2 and/or Shaken result.

SteveN

Absolutely / Tout a fait!!! :wink:

The trick I want to simulate is a blocking action combined with a strenght trick.
The opponent attacks, I block his arm with my weapon or my arm then I push his arm to destabilize him :twisted:

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#11 Postby SlasherEpoch » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:13 pm

alpasdebol wrote:The trick I want to simulate is a blocking action combined with a strenght trick.
The opponent attacks, I block his arm with my weapon or my arm then I push his arm to destabilize him :twisted:

Then all you're actually doing is the Strength Trick. The blocking thing is just how you describe it happening.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”