Savage Worlds of... Wrestling!

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Count_Zero
Novice

Savage Worlds of... Wrestling!

#1 Postby Count_Zero » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:58 pm

So, I've been binging on back episodes of Ring of Honor on HDNet and ECW on TNN, and have been trying to figure out fun things to do with the Savage World system, and I've been wondering, how would I go about running a pro wrestling campaign using Savage Worlds?

The tone I'd be going for would be a "Kayfabe" campaign, where everything is "real". Are there any suggestions about how I could go about running this?

The one thought I've had thus far is dividing fighting up into 5 styles, each connected to each attribute:

Lucha Libre would be linked to Agility (this would be used for high-flying styles in general)
Power wrestling (think Hulk Hogan) would be linked to Strength.
Technical wrestling - Smarts
Hardcore wrestling - Vigor, with the idea being that the character would be finishing the match battered, bloody, but triumphant.
Puro (Japanese wrestling - more strike heavy, MMA influenced) - Spirit

You could take multiple skills to mix styles. For example, Rob Van Dam would have levels in Lucha (high flying moves), Hardcore (all the things he can do with a chair), and Puro (all those kicks he's famous for). The late Mike Awesome would have levels in Power, Hardcore and Puro.

Heck, some promotions could reccomend or require that characters have certain levels in a particular skill - the WWF style of the late 80s would require certain levels in Power wrestling, while the ECW style would require certain levels in Hardcore.

This is entirely tentative at the moment, and just my theories on the concept. If anyone has a better idea, I'd be happy to hear it. Similarly, anyone with Edge recommendations would be welcomed as well.

And, of course, if someone's already done all this work for me, then I'd be happy to learn about that as well.

EDIT: As an alternative, the multiple wrestling "styles" could possibly be done through several edges. If so, some advice on making those could work as well.

Additionally, there are a few more wrestling concepts that would probably be helpful for working out in the Savage Worlds System.

First, match momentum. Maybe this could be done by adapting the Wound/Fatigue scale, but I'm not sure.

Second, I'd like to figure out some way of handling distraction of the referee or opponent through a manager or valet. This could tie into the momentum system. Either that, or this could be a function of bennies - spend a bennie to regain momentum, through distraction of a manager or by "hulking up", or block a pinfall attempt.

This leads me to the third thing - pinfall attempts and submission holds. I like the concept some other wrestling RPGs have done to give the pinned wrestler three chances to break out of a pinfall, once for each count. I'm not sure how we'd go about handling breaking out of a pin though. Both wrestlers make opposed skill rolls - pinning wrestler rolls once, and the pinned wrestler has three chances to beat that roll, maybe?

Finally, I'd be nice to have an independent mechanic for handling contendership for titles, in terms of a Heat system or something. Something beyond a Win-Loss mechanic or XP. Maybe something based on match performance plus role-play (promos and that sort of thing).

Lord Lance
Heroic

#2 Postby Lord Lance » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:43 am

I think you should adapt the Mass Combat rules, quite elastic in fact, to generate the "Match Hype", so every round the wrestlers have to combat, AND they have a sort of "extra round time" in which they have to play a round of "mass combat", using skills like "Persuasion" to impress the audience, "knowledge [world of wrestling]" to does the thing in "the right way" etc. When 1 side (could be a single wrestler or a team) loses the "battle", the audience starting to get bored, so they have to finish the fight in the successive combat round. Of course, a side could be more "physically destroyed" than the other one, and still win the match, 'cause they are more famous, sympathetic, smart etc.
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

Count_Zero
Novice

#3 Postby Count_Zero » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:50 am

That doesn't quite work for what I'm looking for. That style fits the "wrestling as theater" tone (or "breaking kayfabe") more then the "wrestling is real" (or "Kayfabe") tone, which is the one I'm actually trying to get.

jpneok
Novice

#4 Postby jpneok » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Hey awesome, I just recently discovered SW but have been interested in wrestling games for years and years, from CotG to making my own, of course. While I can see the symmetry of tying the styles to the stats, game-wise, I'm not sure how prudent that is. This would be quite an interesting project though.

Candi
Novice

#5 Postby Candi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Very interesting idea for sure.

I'm not sure what I can give you advice wise in terms of undertaking the project but I can give you something.

I've started working on a small scale edge tree for depicting martial arts in general, it's very basic and it's not done yet but it might help give direction. What I did is to simulate a "submission" mechanic I had wounds dealt in a grapple whilst prone apply to Fatigue instead of Wounds. This is a shorter track (1 less "damage needs to be caused") and also incurs a stacking penalty, additionally I gave control of "permanent or temporary" injuries to the character causing the incap via fatigue.

The details are described in the edge, as I felt it was something you need training to do effectively:

Martial Arts Style: Grappler [Seasoned, Martial Artist]

Whenever you enter into a grapple you may choose to make an immediate opposed fighting check. If you win you throw your opponent and they are prone in your space and cannot stand until they break the grapple. When grappling an opponent who is prone you may choose to subdue them with a successful opposed check. Roll damage normally but for each wound that would be caused your opponent instead suffers a point of Fatigue. If you incapacitate your foe in this manner you may decide if any injuries sustained are temporary or permanent.
Suggested Trappings: Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

jpneok
Novice

#6 Postby jpneok » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Interesting. That's something I had thought when I first read the rules, was that the "Wounds" would really be more usable as "Impairment" levels, and wouldn't necessarily have to be true "Wounds" - they could simply be graduating degrees of disadvantage until finally when surpassing your third Wound, you are beyond your ability to immediately offer resistance as normal.

Sort of like in TV shows when people fight each other in a one-on-one sequence for the right to win someone's freedom or something, they might knife fight each other, each getting the upper hand here or there but without doing any real damage to each other until finally someone suddenly gets a blade to the other's throat and the victim is forced to yield or die, even though he isn't actually "Wounded" - he is simply outmaneuvered - he isn't even exhausted or fatigued, just bested in general, but without specific physical injury. I think this could apply possibly?

Wrestling moves might be more like Powers, as they are larger than life, and specific, in some ways, at least the special signature ones, but they also seem to really depend a lot on simple "color" and are more like Stunts - hard to say. There are certain commonalities, like Trips, tricks, throws, etc.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”