Skill Cost Question

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Dark Thoughts
Novice

Skill Cost Question

#1 Postby Dark Thoughts » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:30 am

If a character has an Agility of D8 and wants to take the Shooting skill, do the points cost break down like this:

D4: 1 Point
D6: 1 Point
D8: 1 Point
D10: 2 Points
D12: 2 Points

Or do they break down like this:

D4: 0 Points
D6: 1 Point
D8: 1 Point
D10: 2 Points
D12: 2 Points

There is some confusion between myself and my GM. He said that if a player chooses a skill, it starts at a D4 but doesn't actually cost any points until it is raised to a D6 or higher.

I believe a D4 Skill should cost 1 point, and 1 point after until it exceeds the linked Attribute.

Which is correct using the SWEX core rules?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Skill Cost Question

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:31 am

Dark Thoughts wrote:There is some confusion between myself and my GM. He said that if a player chooses a skill, it starts at a D4 but doesn't actually cost any points until it is raised to a D6 or higher.

I believe a D4 Skill should cost 1 point, and 1 point after until it exceeds the linked Attribute.

Which is correct using the SWEX core rules?

The latter version quoted is correct. As the book states <italics added>. "Each die type costs 1 point..."

A d4 is a die type, so it would cost 1 point (as long as it was equal to or less than a linked Attribute which is almost always, except for skills with no linked Attribute at all).
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”