[spc/fc] Super Powered Races

Information and comments on all Pinnacle official Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

DHub
Novice

[spc/fc] Super Powered Races

#1 Postby DHub » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:45 pm

What do you think of using the SPC for making new fantasy races? Would that lend itself to overly powerful races? The SFC suggests that using super powers will make them more powerful than standard, but would that still be true with lower cost powers?

My example -
Changelings (like eberron)
Outsider (-2): other races are inherently suspicious of shapeshifters.
Chameleon (+3): as per pg 24 of the SPC
The voice option from the chameleon power would be an optional edge later on.

Thanks.

robert4818
Heroic

Re: [spc/fc] Super Powered Races

#2 Postby robert4818 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:33 pm

DHub wrote:What do you think of using the SPC for making new fantasy races? Would that lend itself to overly powerful races? The SFC suggests that using super powers will make them more powerful than standard, but would that still be true with lower cost powers?

My example -

Thanks.

It depends on the situation. If you as the GM are making the race, you should be able to keep it quasi-balanced. If you let the players build, then the price they give/PP(super power) might not work.

At a bare minimum, those races should be built with an eye towards "Street level" power level
Aperture Science:
We do what we must, because we can.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [spc/fc] Super Powered Races

#3 Postby Clint » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:01 pm

DHub wrote:What do you think of using the SPC for making new fantasy races? Would that lend itself to overly powerful races? The SFC suggests that using super powers will make them more powerful than standard, but would that still be true with lower cost powers?

Depends on whether every race got an effect from the SPC in their builds. In which case, they all basically got AB Superpowers for free.

DHub wrote:My example -

Just to clarify, Outsider would be -1. I don't think Changelings would be treated like property or the equivalent to qualify for Major Outsider.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:06 pm

Also, the Changelings would need to have AB (Superpowers), for another +2. That's 5 points of racial bonuses and only 1 point of drawbacks; a +4 race is very powerful.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “SW Official Settings & Companions”