HOE: How to raise strain threshold beyond 17?

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

harpy
Novice

HOE: How to raise strain threshold beyond 17?

#1 Postby harpy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:40 am

One thing that has puzzled me is how to raise your strain threshold past 17? If you have Vigor at d12 and then take the edge in the Brainburners book that gives you +5 more to your strain, how do you get it higher than that?

The character sheets strain meter goes up to 22, so presumably there is some way to get an additional +5 on top of the 17.

WilyQuixote
Novice

#2 Postby WilyQuixote » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:01 pm

All you need to do is raise that d12 five steps till its d12+10. Granted its prohibitively expensive but it will net you a Strain of 22.

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

#3 Postby ScooterinAB » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:15 am

Ya. Upping stats is a good way to do that. Supernatural Trait might be a better way of doing it though.

I recall that there is a Syker book or two (Book of Five Rings iirc) that will increase your strain slightly. I think there are some drugs that help you blast as well.

Honestly, I think the 22 Strain meter is just a hppy accident. It isn't really even feasible to have 17 Strain. It might also be for bookkeeping purposes (like Fortitude). I wouldn't really worry about it. You won't likely ever have 22+ Strain anyways.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun May 09, 2010 9:34 pm

Fastest way to Strain 22: Supernatural Trait (by the book, you can't buy a stat above d12) and equivalents.

Alternates include Extra Strain edges, a couple of Syker drugs, and some monster coups (especially the Brain Glom in Unity - our Syker has 25 strain!).

nerovipus
Novice

#5 Postby nerovipus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:36 am

You could make him a doom-syker with the greenie hindrance and the edges: child of the atom lvl 5, steel trap mind lvl 2
which leaves the 3 points you need for the back ground. That brings you to 19 strain

Psykoguy
Heroic

#6 Postby Psykoguy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:06 am

There are also external sources of strain to mitigate the use. However, when I've played sykers, I've always been one to use powers as a last resort.
Highlander was a documentry, and it was filmed in real time!

Hunting Moon
Novice

#7 Postby Hunting Moon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Greenie gives you Arcane Background: syker. So you can not be both a Doomsayer and a Syker, each Arcane Backround is mutally exclusive.

Fists-of-Dorn
Seasoned

Re

#8 Postby Fists-of-Dorn » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Generally speaking, Hunting Moon, it is true that a character cannot develop two arcane backgrounds due to the nature in which each sect focuses and channels power from the Hunting Grounds. However Greenies are generally able to bypass this rule, a fact that I dislike- but it's there in the setting so I live with it, due to how and when they begin developing their Syker powers.
Most, if not all- I do not have the time to check right now, of the books dealing with Arcane Backgrounds have a section discussing Greenies in the section on "How to become a -such and such-". Typically the heading is "Junker of *Arcane Background the book is about*" or "Syker of *Arcane Background the book is about*".
For example in the Children o' the Atom book on page 65 it is discussed under the heading of "Sykers of Doom". There it goes into detail about being able to use strain acquired from any source to fuel powers from either background- though so far as I can tell the Greenie's special ability to spend strain in order to gain a more potent effect from his Syker power is only able to do so with Syker powers- as it is specific to Blastin' and causes Brainburn if he fails the associated Spirit roll, but I could be mistaken on that.

Hope that helps.

-Fists.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”