Has anybody tried ... limiting aceing

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Atomic Scotsman
Seasoned

#21 Postby Atomic Scotsman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:06 am

marshal kt wrote:
You should name him.. and then everytime, they can find the dog tags, ID card, name badge et c. and see it's a relative.
We did that in the old Star Trek rpg.. all were named Bag..or Sack.

I like that!

bushido11
Novice

#22 Postby bushido11 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:51 pm

If you're worried about significant villains dropping like flies, remember to use those GM bennies! Each NPC Wild Card gets two of them, and you also receive one benny per player. GM bennies make main villains last a long time. Also, said main villain can have the Luck and Great Luck edges.

thwill
Seasoned

#23 Postby thwill » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:26 am

Thanks for the comments folks.

I'm not so bothered about the villains since the PC's don't know their stats so I can always apply some handwavium if I feel it necessary.

But I always roll the dice in front of the players and that's when a string of 6's on the damage dice can put some unfortunate PC down even when it's a dramatic downer. I wasn't looking for a way of eliminating this possibility, just a way to make it happen less often.

Anyway doesn't sound like anybody has tried my idea, so I guess I may just have to suck it and see.

Thanks again,

Tom.

77IM
Heroic

#24 Postby 77IM » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:39 am

As Magnus points out, the TAG Pulp rules have the rule that "Extras can't ace on damage rolls." It's harsher than what you are suggesting, but only applies to Extras, so what happens is that the PCs are very unlikely to be one-shotted by Mook #375, but the Big Bad Boss is still very very dangerous.

If you playtest your limited acing rule please let us know how it goes!

-- 77IM

Clint
Site Admin

#25 Postby Clint » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:22 am

thwill wrote:I'm not so bothered about the villains since the PC's don't know their stats so I can always apply some handwavium if I feel it necessary.

But I always roll the dice in front of the players and that's when a string of 6's on the damage dice can put some unfortunate PC down even when it's a dramatic downer. I wasn't looking for a way of eliminating this possibility, just a way to make it happen less often.

Anyway doesn't sound like anybody has tried my idea, so I guess I may just have to suck it and see.

Just keep in mind that it will affect your villains since it limits the amount of damage your players can achieve and the odds of higher damages.

In short, this will make higher Toughness opponents even harder to take down, and it's possible for some extremely high Toughness opponents will be immune to certain attacks that can't generate enough damage (or "effectively" immune becuase the odds are so long).

It's much easier to handwave "he Soaks that massive hit" than "I know 16 points of damage did nothing 3 rounds ago, but now it causes a wound."

That's the reason I suggested limiting actual wounds instead of damage totals since it levels the playing field and keeps increasing Toughness from having an exponential effect. But as long that effect is kept in mind and adjusted for, let us know how it goes.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”