Savage Fantasy music

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Agent_Templar
Novice

Savage Fantasy music

#1 Postby Agent_Templar » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:53 am

I am running an SW game set in REH's Hyborian Age- the antedeluvian world of Conan. I am trying to build the soundtrack for the game. I have found that music can make or break the mood. Vampire, SLA Industries and Cyberpunk have always been a no-brainer but this game is tougher. Here is what I am working with:

Conan the Barbarian soundtrack

Dethklok- The Dethalbum. I am not a "metal guy", but this music works for brutal, savage combat.

Dead Can Dance- various albums. This is for when they are in Turan, Shem, and Zamora.

The Thing soundtrack. john Carpenter made some pretty cool soundtracks that work well for gaming. I am busting this album out when they tackle The Tomb of Horrors converted to Savage Worlds.

Any more ideas?

DerFinsterling
Legendary

#2 Postby DerFinsterling » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:04 am

Internet radio: www.radiorivendell.com

Dylan S
Veteran

#3 Postby Dylan S » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:19 pm

I split my soundtracks into different 'mood' playlists and fill them with songs I deem appropriate. The playlists I shuffle between are "Battle", "Ominous", "Town", "Adventure" and "Wandering". I've used songs from Conan, Baldur's Gate (Videogame), Last of the Mohicans, Ravenous (excellent sountrack - especially fleshes out the 'ominous' and 'wandering' moods), The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (a couple surprisingly appropriate 'Adventure' tracks - just don't use the recognizable title theme!), Dead Can Dance, Interview With the Vampire, and a bunch of Taiko drumming I found appropriate for battle tunes (if Battlestar Galactica can do it, why shouldn't we?).

If you have the time/ambition to do the moody playlists, it lowers the chance of Kenny Loggins breaking the mood just as you're slowly describing the rusty portcullis opening with a great squealing of metal and an unearthly stench (actually, maybe that is appropriate).

Hope that helps!

dylan.

Edit: Oh! I forgot to mention a group I discovered whilst running an eerie sci-fi game: Biosphere. This group has put out about a dozen albums worth of atmospheric (often sci-fi, but not always) soundscapes. Not to be understated for gaming!

TTM
Novice

#4 Postby TTM » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:37 pm

When I read "Savage Fantasy", this immediately came to mind ;)

nonefornic
Veteran

#5 Postby nonefornic » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm

The Age of Conan MMO had quite the striking soundtrack (including several nation-themed tracks for Stygia, Aquillonia and Cimmeria. It came on CD with the collectors edition if you can find it (though I'm sure, like most other things, its been pirated somewhere).
No longer a luddite... I have a blog... After losing settings, rules and more in PC wipe after wipe its now home to my swag of RPG homebrewing... http://theniconomicon.blogspot.com/

Agent_Templar
Novice

#6 Postby Agent_Templar » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:31 am

Thanks for the replies. Keep the suggestions coming, please.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”