Falling

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Merlin_Sylver
Veteran

Falling

#1 Postby Merlin_Sylver » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:51 pm

I've seen a number of rule regarding falling damage, how much damage per paces fell, and even ways of ablating falling damage, but in no source can I find a rule that cites how fast, in game paces. free fall is.

Let's say a Supers type PC leaps out of a high flying plane.... just how long does it take to get to the ground?

Please forgive me if this rule is addressed plainly somewhere, and I simply missed it.

Clint
Site Admin

#2 Postby Clint » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Well, it's really just a matter of converting free fall speed to inches per round. The tricky part is that free fall speed can vary quite a bit depending on the person's position.

A standard parachutist would probably hit around 180" per round, but if specifically trying to go faster, they could accelerate up to nearly 300" per turn (some even faster with the right gear and talent).

Really though, I think the fall should just take as long as is dramatically appropriate most of the time. ;)

Hope that helps, and maybe someone else can provide more info.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Merlin_Sylver
Veteran

#3 Postby Merlin_Sylver » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Actually, that gives me the numbers I can run with. Thanks!

The GIT!
Heroic

#4 Postby The GIT! » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Clint wrote:Really though, I think the fall should just take as long as is dramatically appropriate most of the time. ;)

Well that's how I tend to figure it. I recently had a scenario in which a person was thrown off one of the towers of Notre Dame Cathedral and one of the PCs (with the Telekinesis power) had to run to get in range and roll to see if he could "catch" the person before he hit the ground. The issue wasn't about whether he got in range in time (I'd already decided he would but he didn't know that); it was more about about whether he'd roll high enough to use his Telekinesis to save the victim. Needless to say a lot of bennies were used :twisted:

Merlin_Sylver
Veteran

#5 Postby Merlin_Sylver » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:02 pm

Beleive it or not, falling time has been an issue in no less then three of my sessions within the past year. Once it was because the PC was falling from orbit through an atmosphere of toxic fumes, and the question was would he make it to the ground in time to not asphyxiate on the fumes? The other situations were similar in that they were unique and that falling rate was key to how it worked out.

Anyway... I've been just winging it, which is basically what you're telling me I should do. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking an obvious rule somewhere.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”