So, I'm changing my company name

Discussion of products from third-party companies licensed to produce SW products. Company specific threads should be marked with their name in brackets.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

DavidJ
Heroic

So, I'm changing my company name

#1 Postby DavidJ » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:16 pm

My company name is too similar to Reality Blurs, and, after much debate, I've decided that it's time for a name change. I respect Sean too much to continue with this name, it creates customer confusion.

So.. that said, I'm going to open the floor up to suggestions.

Heck, let's make it a Contest!

(and maybe I can even get Ron Blessing and Veronica from TTGT to do a promo for it, where we announce the winner.)

Every contest needs a prize, so....

How's about 100 bucks, to be paid via paypal to the winner, and a free copy of an as-of-yet to be announced product in development (believe you me, when it's announced, you'll love it.)?

This contest will run until midnight on the 30th of September.

People who are interested in entering, please email me your entry.

The email subject line should be Company Name Contest.

My email address is:

mdavidjarvis AT yahoo DOT com.

Good luck!
David Jarvis
Owner, Gun Metal Games

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#2 Postby Kristian Serrano » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:31 pm

How many entries per person?[/u]

DavidJ
Heroic

#3 Postby DavidJ » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:32 pm

I'll say, 2 entries per person.
David Jarvis

Owner, Gun Metal Games

Theophage
Novice

#4 Postby Theophage » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:55 pm

Just sent my two entries...
...or not.

Daniel "Theophage" Clark
theophage (at) geocities (dot) com

DavidJ
Heroic

#5 Postby DavidJ » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:59 pm

I should make it clear that the new company name shouldn't have any of the words of the old company name.

It can certainly attempt to convey a similar theme as the old one, however.

thanks again!
David Jarvis

Owner, Gun Metal Games

scourger
Seasoned

#6 Postby scourger » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:25 pm

Just sent my suggestions. Good luck.

Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

#7 Postby Noshrok Grimskull » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:50 am

Sent in my suggestions, too.
"If you think I'm crazy, you should see the people I'm locked up with." - Steamdriven

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)

VonDan
Legendary

Re: So, I'm changing my company name

#8 Postby VonDan » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:03 pm

thurak wrote:My company name is too similar to Reality Blurs, and, after much debate, I've decided that it's time for a name change. I respect Sean too much to continue with this name, it creates customer confusion.

Crazy question what was the old company name

marshal kt
Legendary

Re: So, I'm changing my company name

#9 Postby marshal kt » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:08 pm

VonDan wrote:
thurak wrote:My company name is too similar to Reality Blurs, and, after much debate, I've decided that it's time for a name change. I respect Sean too much to continue with this name, it creates customer confusion.

Crazy question what was the old company name

that's what i was just going to ask.
"I had a Me-llennial call me senile because he didn't like my ruling as GM."

dahak
Veteran

#10 Postby dahak » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Reality Deviant Publications was the old one.

Tavis
Heroic

#11 Postby Tavis » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:23 pm

And mine.

All the best.
Currently Playing:

SWD: Savage Mystara (GM)

Psy-Kosh
Seasoned

#12 Postby Psy-Kosh » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:02 pm

Mine are sent too. :)

DavidJ
Heroic

#13 Postby DavidJ » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:48 pm

Someone asked me why I was changing my company name over on my website. While I've pretty much stated the reason in this thread, I felt I'd post my response to that gentleman here, as it might give everyone more insight in this contest when you are thinking of names.

Poster:Why are you changing your name? Are you moving in a different direction with the name change?

Me: In a manner of speaking.

There's another company out there that has a name similar to mine (Reality Blurs), and they are well-respected by the Savage Worlds Community. As I'm starting to develop some products for that arena, I feel it is necessary to change my company name, both out of respect for Reality Blurs, and also to avoid customer confusion.

I've heard from a number of people (on forums, emails and in phone conversations) that have confused our two companies because our names are so similar.

Also, I'm kind of ambivalent about this company name. When I first started in 2005 ( wow, 4 years, I should celebrate with a sale), my primary goal was to get setup as a publisher so I could enter Blood Throne in Green Ronin's True20 setting search contest, and I just sort of threw the name together at the last moment.

Now, I'm looking for something that feels right in terms of my company, where I'm headed, what types of projects I've published and am working on, etc.

It has occurred to me that, in the end, this contest might not get the_exact_name I want, but, as I look over some of the entries I've received in the past 24 hours, I'm getting my own ideas.

I'm marking the entries which sparked my imagination because if, in the end, I don't choose to use any of the entries and instead go with something inspired by an entry, I can still announce the winner and give him/her credit( and the cash!).
--------------------------------------

So, there you have it.

Keep those entries coming! There's 18 days left!
David Jarvis

Owner, Gun Metal Games

shadd4d
Legendary
Location: Valparaiso, IN...I miss Deutschland, Chicago, Charlottesville.

#14 Postby shadd4d » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:36 am

Not that it's a gimme, but would you describe your company and the direction, at present, you want to take it? Citing a great film, what is the name in neon lights that explode due to awesomeness which you would tell us should we be smoking cigars and having drinks?

Don
Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01

DavidJ
Heroic

#15 Postby DavidJ » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:07 pm

Hiya Don.

Good questions, thanks for asking!

My company is focused on producing edgy products that don't necessarily fit into any single category whether we're talking about science fiction, fantasy or otherwise. For the most part, I try to run on the fringes of main stream genres. I generally don't publish "plain vanilla" game supplements and settings. If I'm going to do a fantasy product, it'll have some kind of twist.

For example, my Blood Throne fantasy game setting is a dark, war torn world which some people have compared to Midnight. Unlike Midnight, however, the world is not without hope. The people of the world have been pushed to the brink of extinction, but they aren't rendered impotent. Blood Throne also has a "final fantasy" feel to it, in that advanced technology exists. Wizards can also fuse mana into crystal shards and create strange "magical" devices to use against their enemies. Admittedly, these concepts not terribly innovative when taken by themselves. But when combined together, they form the framework for a really fun game setting.

In the past, I've developed books for rules heavy systems like d20, and, in my opinion, those systems can really hamper the creative process. When every concept you think up needs a special game mechanic to make it work, development becomes more focused on rules development and balance issues than it is on making the product cool and interesting.

Savage Worlds makes game writing fun again, which is what I want to do with future books; focus on creating fun, interesting worlds and supplements that people can use with as little work as possible.

I don't think I can pick a single movie that fits my company and the books I want to create. If I were producing a sci-fi book ( and I am) It would be Bladerunner meets I-Robot, District 9 and Minority report, with a healthy dose of Dark Angel, Appleseed and Ghost in the shell thrown in for good measure.

A movie based on Space opera books I develop would look something like Firefly meets Star Wars and 1970's-era Battlestar Galactica.

Horror games would be campy in nature like Buffy and Angel, but edgy and fresh like Supernatural and the Dresden files.

Ok I'm starting to ramble now. I hope this answered your questions.

Thanks for your time.
David Jarvis

Owner, Gun Metal Games

Yuri
Veteran

#16 Postby Yuri » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:37 pm

Awesome... I'm sending over my Name now....

Y
I think we're property - Charles Fort

tylermo
Heroic

#17 Postby tylermo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Did somebody say Firefly meets Star Wars meets 70's BSG?? :-D Just got my vote for some of that.

blusponge
Heroic

#18 Postby blusponge » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:03 pm

My friend, Joe, suggested Altared State Games.

The misspelling is intentional.

Tom
...and a Brace of Pistols
a blog dedicated to swashbuckling, horror and fantasy gaming

DavidJ
Heroic

#19 Postby DavidJ » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:28 am

Just a reminder everyone, there's only 2 more days until the company name contest ends, so get those entries in!

So far I've been getting some pretty neat, inventive entries, many of which have inspired my own ideas!

Much thanks to everyone who has participated so far!
David Jarvis

Owner, Gun Metal Games

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#20 Postby Kristian Serrano » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:38 am

The suspense is killing me.

Return to “SW Licensees”