Question - HoE history & setting

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Malignanttoe
Seasoned

Question - HoE history & setting

#1 Postby Malignanttoe » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi guys, it's been quite a while since I've posted here.
I've been far too busy to game.
Any way, I'm going to start up a game of HoE with my friends. I know I can make the setting and history more or less the way I want, but I was curious if this is covered in any of the official books. (I only own the core rule book)

1. Why is it that in the future, it's so much like the wild (weird) west as far as mannerisms and such. Did no one from the East Coast move west, preventing more "civilized" customs from being adopted? Or did something happen to make people out west return to their gunslinging roots?

2. Umm... I really did have a follow up question... but I seem to have forgotten what it was... Ugh, I hate that.

If any one can address this for me, I'd really appreciate it. It's the one thing that I've thought about most regarding HoE.

shadd4d
Legendary
Location: Valparaiso, IN...I miss Deutschland, Chicago, Charlottesville.

#2 Postby shadd4d » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:58 pm

HoE was separated into the HoE book and the Wasted West Companion. For the official history, check out this link, which is the official DL universe timeline.

It leads to a word document which documents almost everything.

Hope this helps.

Don
Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01

Malignanttoe
Seasoned

#3 Postby Malignanttoe » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:49 pm

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Question - HoE history & setting

#4 Postby Clint » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Malignanttoe wrote:1. Why is it that in the future, it's so much like the wild (weird) west as far as mannerisms and such. Did no one from the East Coast move west, preventing more "civilized" customs from being adopted? Or did something happen to make people out west return to their gunslinging roots?

Could you give specific examples?

I mean, the west still has a lot of western customs today. Blow up most of the cities where "civilization" thrives, put the people on the ragged edge of survival, and they are pretty much in the same societal boat as their ancestors were in the old west.

And heck, people who move to a different region more often adopt the customs of that region than the other way around.

Anyway, just looking at what in particular leads to that line of thought.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Lord Skudley
Heroic

#5 Postby Lord Skudley » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:47 pm

shadd4d wrote:It leads to a word document which documents almost everything.Don

The Timeline of DOOM!
I've got that document converted to an Excel spresdsheet for eaiser sorting and information search.

I still love the February 16, 2000 entry: Windows crashes and Mike Scofield looses hours of work on this f*****g timeline. Remember kids, when a Windows system crashes a Mac user gets his wings. Stupid Microsoft Windows. Bill Gates is a servitor of the Reckoner of Frustration.
Proud co-creator of the 1,000+ Random Encounter Generator found here!

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”