[Eberron] Dragonmarks

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
Kristian Serrano
Heroic
Posts: 1408
Age: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

[Eberron] Dragonmarks

#1 Postby Kristian Serrano » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:02 pm

I'm working on converting the Dragonmarks for SW (see [Eberron] Edges) and their spell-like abilities to SW powers.

I think I have most of the powers adapted to existing powers from either the Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition core book or from the Fantasy Worldbuilder Toolkit. There are some with which I'm struggling to find an appropriate fit and wonder if anyone has any ideas. I'm trying to avoid homebrew spell conversions as much as possible and to rely more on exisiting powers.

Capitalized Powers are already existing powers whereas lowercase powers in red text are from the original spell lists from the Eberron Campaign Setting and/or Dragonmarked supplement.

User avatar
Y'all Of Cthulhu
Seasoned
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:05 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

#2 Postby Y'all Of Cthulhu » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Please tell me that you're compiling a pdf file of all of this once it's finished. :1kiss2:

User avatar
SlasherEpoch
Legendary
Posts: 5625
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:16 pm
Location: Off stage left

#3 Postby SlasherEpoch » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:01 pm

+2 to Fighting is really, really, really powerful. Like unbalancing.

I'd actually say your biggest bonus should be +1 and allow it to stack with other Edges. A Dragonmarked character is effectively getting 2 Edges for the price of one right now.

The Mark of Handling could be better served with the Beast Bond Edge, I think.

User avatar
Kristian Serrano
Heroic
Posts: 1408
Age: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

#4 Postby Kristian Serrano » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:26 am

Y'all Of Cthulhu wrote:Please tell me that you're compiling a pdf file of all of this once it's finished. :1kiss2:


I do plan to, but there's still some work I want to do with Eberron's unique weapons.

SlasherEpoch wrote:+2 to Fighting is really, really, really powerful. Like unbalancing.

I'd actually say your biggest bonus should be +1 and allow it to stack with other Edges. A Dragonmarked character is effectively getting 2 Edges for the price of one right now.


Being new to Savage Worlds, I just figured adding a bonus to fighting wasn't much more than adding to a skill, but I see your point. I'll try to find a better solution.

SlasherEpoch wrote:The Mark of Handling could be better served with the Beast Bond Edge, I think.
As in D&D, I'm sure there are other feats (and classes and spells) that can help certain dragonmarked characters. In other words, I wouldn't use Beast Bond to replace the Mark of Handling, but it's certainly a good complementary feat for employees and members of the House.

User avatar
Kristian Serrano
Heroic
Posts: 1408
Age: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

#5 Postby Kristian Serrano » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:01 pm

OK, I've been stumped on these for some time now. Anyone got any additional suggestions or ideas for these?

User avatar
Strickland5
Veteran
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 9:13 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

#6 Postby Strickland5 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:29 pm

I would shift all the bonuses to a +1.

Additionally getting a mark would cause the character to have a fatigue level for a week of game time (or similar idea), the character wouldn't beable to access his new power/bonus until this fatigue level had passed.

Just my 0010 bits.
"No man is so good as to be free from all evil,
nor so bad as to be worth nothing."

User avatar
Kristian Serrano
Heroic
Posts: 1408
Age: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

#7 Postby Kristian Serrano » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:35 pm

Strickland wrote:I would shift all the bonuses to a +1.
Why +1? Does it seem that +2 is too much? I'm not against +1, just curious what the exact rationale is.

Strickland wrote:Additionally getting a mark would cause the character to have a fatigue level for a week of game time (or similar idea), the character wouldn't beable to access his new power/bonus until this fatigue level had passed.
Eh. There's no similar effect in the setting itself, and I'm not sure I'm keen on the idea anyway, especially because a character can start with that dragonmark edge upon character creation. I just don't think this limitation really adds anything.

User avatar
Kristian Serrano
Heroic
Posts: 1408
Age: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

#8 Postby Kristian Serrano » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Specifically, I'm looking for substitutions for any of the powers listed in [color=red]red[/color].

User avatar
Strickland5
Veteran
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 9:13 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

#9 Postby Strickland5 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:24 pm

Amaril wrote:
Strickland wrote:I would shift all the bonuses to a +1.
Why +1? Does it seem that +2 is too much? I'm not against +1, just curious what the exact rationale is.
I think a +2 and a power is a vastly powerful Edge. If it was just a +2 or a power, I can see them as fairly balanced. I've got a player in my DLR game with Ace (+2 to Boating, Driving, and Piloting rolls) and Theif (+2 to Climb, Lockpick, and Stealth) and those two edges saved his bacon more times. +2s are huge.

As for the fatigue, you already have "Backlash: After you use the power granted by your aberrant dragonmark, you must make a Vigor roll. Failure means you are Shaken. This can cause a wound." in the write up, I was thinking of simply taking it one step farther.
"No man is so good as to be free from all evil,

nor so bad as to be worth nothing."

User avatar
Kristian Serrano
Heroic
Posts: 1408
Age: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

#10 Postby Kristian Serrano » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Strickland wrote:I think a +2 and a power is a vastly powerful Edge. If it was just a +2 or a power, I can see them as fairly balanced. I've got a player in my DLR game with Ace (+2 to Boating, Driving, and Piloting rolls) and Theif (+2 to Climb, Lockpick, and Stealth) and those two edges saved his bacon more times. +2s are huge.
I see your point, but those are +2 to three skills related to the same character function or role.

Strickland wrote:As for the fatigue, you already have "Backlash: After you use the power granted by your aberrant dragonmark, you must make a Vigor roll. Failure means you are Shaken. This can cause a wound." in the write up, I was thinking of simply taking it one step farther.
The reason it's applied to aberrant dragonmark is because that's actually an effect of aberrant marks in the world of Eberron.


Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests