Savage Heavy Gear

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Prisma
Novice

Savage Heavy Gear

#1 Postby Prisma » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:53 am

Hi,

I wrote a conversion of Heavy Gear to Savage Worlds Rules. If I understand the forum rules correctly, one is not allowed to post this kind of homebrew here. So, if anyone wants to see/play it, write me please.

EDIT: Okay, here is a rapidshare download-link. (Hm... could work only 10 times (rapidshare???), but I can then post a new link.)
It's a pdf-file, about 4 MB big, 28 pages, layouted and with illustrations (provided for the conversion by a friend).

EDIT 2: Here is another download link. This should work more than 10 times.
Last edited by Prisma on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#2 Postby Sitting Duck » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:25 am

If you have it up on a web site or a blog, it's permissible to post a link to it here.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Primus Magus
Novice

#3 Postby Primus Magus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:50 am

Even if mechas aren’t from a tactical point of view, practical.
Heavy Gear still managed to present the setting as “hard science”, and I’m saying this in a good way. I just love the selling point of the game: Basic Premise: human colonies caught in interstellar war; "Tom Clancy's Mecha" (this is what it says on dp9 web page :) )

Prisma
Novice

#4 Postby Prisma » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:57 am

Sitting Duck wrote:If you have it up on a web site or a blog, it's permissible to post a link to it here.

Thanks for the info. :)

Does a rapidshare link count?

(There is another, more complex possibility:
Last year I posted the pdf-document on a german RPG-website called "Fundus Ludi" - click here. It is possible to download it from there, but sadly one has to register to their forum first, to be able to download. So it could be a little tricky, when one don't understand the language. But if you follow the link, you can see the coverpic of the conversion, even zoom in. The conversion itsself is - of course - written in english.)

Prisma
Novice

#5 Postby Prisma » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:02 am

Primus Magus wrote:Even if mechas aren’t from a tactical point of view, practical.

Don't worry.. I have all the toys in there... Mechas (Gears/Frames/Striders), Ground Vehicles, Aircraft, Landships. :D

Eisenmann
Novice

#6 Postby Eisenmann » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:18 am

I am very interested in this. I really enjoy SILCORE as a system but never really felt comfortable with Mecha combat in the game.

Primus Magus
Novice

#7 Postby Primus Magus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:51 am

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Heavy Gear setting, especially their “realistic Mechas”.

I think HG would work nicely with one of my favorite aspects of SW, you’re either active in battle, shaken, or dead.

Personally, I think it’s important to handle Gears as hybrid armor/vehicles.

Lord Lance
Heroic

#8 Postby Lord Lance » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm very curious to see your work, Prisma. Please, post a link to download it.

PS: as you can see, there are a lot of homebrew conversions of "official" settings. I think no-one wants to damage other systems and publisers with those type of works:
http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions.htm
Actually, I think this kind of Fan works is a honest love declaration for a setting, so, keep on writing and Savaging!

Prisma
Novice

#9 Postby Prisma » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:24 pm

Okay. I just placed a download link at the top of the thread.

Lord Lance
Heroic

#10 Postby Lord Lance » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:00 pm

Here a cuple of personal notes (my 2 cents, as ever):
:!: Maybe the vibroblade should have high AP (like 4), and not a d6 damage extra.
:!: You should explain what is that 1-2d10 damage for the sniper laser rifle.
:!: Haywire: you should use a mechanic like the stun power, not give a free K.O. after the hit.
:!: Why 3 toughness in the vehicles?? This is not too Savaged. You shouldn't need this one, the penalties that come with the "wounds" are already big. The combat is already quite lethal and fast as is.
:!: Nice the image for the cover! :cool: :cool: However, if you "shrink" the DPI of the images to a lighter 96DPI, with a software like "gimp" or "photoshop" you could obtain a 2 MB file, much "user friendly".

Prisma
Novice

#11 Postby Prisma » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks for your notes, I put them into consideration. :)

Lord Lance wrote: :!: You should explain what is that 1-2d10 damage for the sniper laser rifle.

Yes, apperantly this is unclear. The sniper laser damage is 2d10, but the gunner can decide to power down to 1d10 (Damage: 1 or 2 d10).

Lord Lance wrote: :!: Why 3 toughness in the vehicles?? This is not too Savaged. You shouldn't need this one, the penalties that come with the "wounds" are already big. The combat is already quite lethal and fast as is.

The conversion was build with the Savage Worlds Revised Edition only. Armored vehicles have 3 toughness scores (front/sides/back). I (and my group) liked that very much. Flanking maneuvers (like in the original game) are rewarding.

Lord Lance wrote: :!: Nice the image for the cover! :cool: :cool: However, if you "shrink" the DPI of the images to a lighter 96DPI, with a software like "gimp" or "photoshop" you could obtain a 2 MB file, much "user friendly".

Thanks! :D
And thank you very much for the DPI hint. I'll try that.

Lord Lance
Heroic

#12 Postby Lord Lance » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:26 am

So, you need only to insert some note for the laser and the front/side/rear armor (it's not a bad idea, just i didn't catch it without explanations...)

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”