[HoE] Powerpacks, powerjacks, and Spirit Batteries, Oh My

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

[HoE] Powerpacks, powerjacks, and Spirit Batteries, Oh My

#1 Postby ScooterinAB » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:26 am

I've been making a number of Junker Devices (because I have a Junker fetish). I've some across a puzzle that I haven't been able to solve

So the burning question is related to Powerpacks. They use less slots than a Spirit Battery. But how are they recharged? Specifically, does a powerpacked device need a powerjack (and the 2 slots therein) in order to recharge it? Or do you get a free powerjack? Or can it be recharge magically (we've seen weirder)?

Basically, if a Powerpack needs a powerjack, the breaking point is 80 G-Rays. Both battery types use 10 slots for an 80 charge. So until you get to 80 G-Rays, a powerpack is less viable than a Spirit Battery. But this assumes that one needs a powerjack in addition so you can recharge it.

So what's the ruling? Powerjack or no powerjack?

Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

#2 Postby Fuzyfeet » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:45 am

I share this affliction too my friend. I spent far too much time at Weird Stuff imaging what a Junker would do it they saw the warehouse, then proceed to buy things that I end up building into a device that I use three times and then place in a draw.

There is nothing in the section that saws it gets the free jack, and as far as I have always believed, powerpack must be recharged. So a powerjack would be needed. So yes this make the advantage of powerpack vs. battery slot wise, mute up to 80 but it's also about style and usage. There are times I build devices with batteries, mostly because it will need to be "hot swapped" at some point. That said I also think the powerpack is a "cleaner" build on some jobs. Basically if it's drain isn't in rounds, I prefer the pack. This of course is all flavor and little substance, but hey, what isn't?

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

#3 Postby ScooterinAB » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Of course, the upside of the Powerpack is the required prescence of a powerjack. I see well to do Junkers walking around with a Soul Tap and a Bat-Utility Belt of batteries, powerpacks, and the odd spirit fetter. Rather than building self sufficient devices, The Junker's own devices could just be plugged into the belt. A quick powerpack here and there for quick use, but largely relying on this eblt so he can cram more stuff into his personal devices.

Edivdrone
Seasoned

#4 Postby Edivdrone » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:19 pm

I always just thought that a device with a powerpack built in had a contact point that allowed an outside source of power to charge it. Sort of like, oh say, a Wiimote.
I can do all things through Christ who stengthens me.

Ray
Veteran

#5 Postby Ray » Fri May 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Or, for the Can that got decapitated and you can't recover their body, a small crab-like body and a machine gun!

Don't forget the bullet-resistant glass case for the head! All hits are Noggin' hits now!
"Grab a wackin' stick, boy! Time to learn these here undead some manners!" - Percy Spencer, to his Son, Kevin.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”