[Classic] Chaps

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Willis
Seasoned

[Classic] Chaps

#1 Postby Willis » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:26 am

In the equipment section, chaps have (armor -2) listed on the table. Do they really make you easier to hurt or is this a typo? I'm new to running Deadlands, and will be running it for my group, so I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row.

Thanks in advance.

oddtail
Seasoned

#2 Postby oddtail » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:21 am

There are basically two kinds of armor in Deadlands.

Heavy armor (for example, Armor 2): it reduces the die type by two. If it reduces the die type to d4, it reduces the number of dice instead.

Light armor (Armor -2 or Armor -4): it reduces the amount of damage by 2 or by 4, respectively.

Also, it's all explained in Player's Guide, although I don't recall the exact page right now.
Can't think of anything smart/funny right now, sorry.

Evangelos
Seasoned

#3 Postby Evangelos » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:38 am

Positive armor values (Heavy Armor) reduce the attacker's damage dice by one die type per armor point (3d6 to 3d4, for Armor 1). Once you're down to d4's, you reduce the number of d4's until you hit zero. If the attack was a melee attack and reduced to STR damage only, the attack also does no damage. Attacks that have only STR for damage in the first place can't penetrate Armor 1 or better.

Armor piercing ammunition ignores Heavy Armor equal to its AP level.

Example: You have Armor 2 in the guts and are shot there by a Peacemaker. 3d6 --> 3d4 --> 2d4. If you were shot by a rifle in the same area, it would be 4d8 --> 4d6 --> 4d4.

Negative armor values (Light Armor) reduce damage received, but don't change the die types or anything like that. Armor piercing ammo entirely ignores light armor.

Example: You are shot by a Peacemaker and have -4 light armor to the guts. The 3d6 damage comes up 3, 4, and 5, for a total of 12 damage. Your -4 armor reduces that damage to 8, which probably means you just took one wound instead of two.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”