"Overworld"

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

islan
Heroic

"Overworld"

#1 Postby islan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:18 am

This is a topic on my Faerie-Tale setting here: http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21436

Since I was already planning on having an Underworld, I was pondering also including an Overworld (stole the title from Scion). The only thing that I have in mind so far is that it is in the sky and that through it you can reach the stars, which can be mined for a precious gem called aspherium.

I don't have any plans atm to include any gods in this setting, so I'm trying to find a purpose for this Overworld. For comparison sake, the Underworld is the eternal resting place of the dead.

irishvince
Novice

#2 Postby irishvince » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:31 am

When I think of overworld without Gods, It make me think of the wonderful scenes on the Moon in The adventures of Baron Munchausen http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096764/

That might be an inspiration.

islan
Heroic

#3 Postby islan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:45 am

Ooo, going to the Moon, I never thought of that!

Thanks for the idea, I love the Baron! Will be perfect for my faerie tale setting, I should watch it again to get more ideas.

Right away I want to steal (ahem, I mean "Savage") the imagery of death from it, I've always loved it since I was a kid.

Sadric
Heroic

#4 Postby Sadric » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:54 am

Maybe the Dwarfes are, eons ago, underworld-creatures.
The Elves was overworld-creatures.
Both have done something wrong, maybe the same thing, and have to leave, a sort of giant exodus.
The empty underworld get filled with the dead, but nothing was found to fill the overworld, so you have a gigantic empty sphere, with the remnants of eon-old elf-city and some immortal guards. :twisted:

islan
Heroic

#5 Postby islan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:08 am

I was actually pondering having the giants come from the sky (they survived the fall XP).

One idea I had was for people to be able to walk on clouds.

Red Mercy
Seasoned

#6 Postby Red Mercy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:05 pm

I don't really have any input, I just wanted to say that I've been reading about your setting, Islan, and I really like some of the ideas you've been coming up with. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

islan
Heroic

#7 Postby islan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:12 am

Red Mercy wrote:I don't really have any input, I just wanted to say that I've been reading about your setting, Islan, and I really like some of the ideas you've been coming up with. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

I've started writing up a doc to detail it more, I'll be sure to keep you posted once it starts getting somewhere.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”