[Classic Deadlands] Can a roll go negative?

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

darkrose50
Novice

[Classic Deadlands] Can a roll go negative?

#1 Postby darkrose50 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:11 am

Can the result of a roll go into negative numbers?

I ridiculed an NPC that did not have ridicule (so they would roll 1d6-4), and would gain the best result if he rolled a -2 or lower (and get a chip to boot!). . . can you get a negative result or is 0 or 1 the lowest you can go?

Clint
Site Admin

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:08 am

There is no provision saying negative values can't occur except the Marshall's discretion.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

oddtail
Seasoned

#3 Postby oddtail » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Clint wrote:There is no provision saying negative values can't occur except the Marshall's discretion.

Since the topic already exists:

how is going bust treated? In some situations the exact number rolled is more important than success or failure (like in Tests of Wills or when playing poker using the simpler rules from Player's Guide). What then?

I usually rule that going bust equals rolling 0, because it's worse than anything else that could happen, but I'm curious what the "official" version is.
Can't think of anything smart/funny right now, sorry.

Clint
Site Admin

#4 Postby Clint » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:54 pm

oddtail wrote:how is going bust treated? In some situations the exact number rolled is more important than success or failure (like in Tests of Wills or when playing poker using the simpler rules from Player's Guide). What then?

I usually rule that going bust equals rolling 0, because it's worse than anything else that could happen, but I'm curious what the "official" version is.

Well, that is pretty much the "official" version. The Marshal determines how bad the results of going bust are on an individual basis. It indicates a "setback" or "catastrophe" of some kind, but the effect is always up to the Marshal's call whether an opposed roll or not.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”