flying books

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Red Mercy
Seasoned

flying books

#1 Postby Red Mercy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:06 pm

putting the finishing touches on the Wizard's Tower dungeon. I'm looking to run it for the first time this weekend. Trying to get some of the enemies' stats. In the library, the players are assaulted by animated books that fly off the shelves and batter themselves against the players. I can't see this doing a whole lot of damage, so I'm looking at either having them inflict fatigue levels somehow, or maybe acting as a swarm. What do you guys think?

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#2 Postby SlasherEpoch » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:55 pm

I think a Swarm works well for that, if you want them to be a creature. Possibly I would allow fire attacks to do damage to the Swarm even if it's not area effect; waving a torch at evil books is a great way to get them to disperse, if my own experience says anything.

Or you can approach it as an obstacle. People must roll Agility (to avoid) or Vigor (to endure), their choice; failute results in Fatigue (see "Bumps and Scrapes").

Lord Lance
Heroic

#3 Postby Lord Lance » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:00 am

Latest is a nice idea to manage this kind of "trap": they are not a big adversary as I can see, just an annoying ton of "punches"...

Red Mercy
Seasoned

#4 Postby Red Mercy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Yeah, I've been leaning towards maybe a combination of the two. Perhaps a creature with swarm like qualities that inflicts fatigue levels rather than wounds.
...actually, yeah, I really like the idea of players being able to roll agility or vigor to overcome the problem.

marshal kt
Legendary

#5 Postby marshal kt » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:52 pm

i'd make an agility roll to avoid them and then a spirit roll if they get hit, a book to the head could knock them out..say if they roll a 1 on both dice, agility and wd.
"I'm Hotep"

Tuesday
Heroic

#6 Postby Tuesday » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:14 pm

You could just treat it as a straight Suppressing Fire attack.

Red Mercy
Seasoned

#7 Postby Red Mercy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:48 pm

Yeah, getting hit in the head with a book really *suck*. :) I hadn't considered the supressive fire mechanic, but now it's got me thinking...

marshal kt
Legendary

#8 Postby marshal kt » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:54 pm

especially if it's 'olde world' books.. 2' x 3' with animal hide covers.. can easily weigh 20 pounds....
"I'm Hotep"

VonDan
Legendary

#9 Postby VonDan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:08 pm

marshal kt wrote:especially if it's 'olde world' books.. 2' x 3' with animal hide covers.. can easily weigh 20 pounds....

A nice new paperback with a crisp spine can hurt too, one time in the lunch room...

A a guy tried to take my tatter tots. When he reached for my lunch tray I hit him on the knuckles with the spine of a new paper back (I think it was ROTK). Then when he leaned in to get in my face and be intimidating I hit him on the for head between the eyes and he jumped back. When he went to grab me I side stepped and hit him in the clavicle as hard as I could with the spine of the book and put his arm to sleep. He got embarassed and walk off

"My Book Foo is better than yours"

How can we stat up Book Foo

Theophage
Novice

#10 Postby Theophage » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:18 pm

BookFoo (or Fu)

Trademark Weapon: Book gives +1 to fighting skill when using a book
Book damage = Str (maybe Str + d4?), non-lethal
...or not.

Daniel "Theophage" Clark
theophage (at) geocities (dot) com

marshal kt
Legendary

#11 Postby marshal kt » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:31 pm

you hit his clavicle and didn't break it? it only takes a couple pounds to break it. it's the easiest bone in the body to break.

you must have rolled a good hit, but have d4 strength. ;-)
"I'm Hotep"

VonDan
Legendary

#12 Postby VonDan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:40 pm

marshal kt wrote:you hit his clavicle and didn't break it? it only takes a couple pounds to break it. it's the easiest bone in the body to break.

you must have rolled a good hit, but have d4 strength. ;-)

clavicle/base of the neck ware spock would have pinched

marshal kt
Legendary

#13 Postby marshal kt » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:56 pm

clavicle, collar bone. easiest bone to break, hence why so many are broken sledding by children in winter in the areas where there is snow.

if i recall my training, it takes 2, 3, 5 pounds of pressure to break.

even less if it's a protruding type. spock was higher along the back of the nech/shoulder..more along the.hmm what's that muscle called...traps? trapesesis [sp?] ..been too long since i studied anatomy & phisology [sp?]. {and spelling} ;-)
"I'm Hotep"

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”