Firefly help

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Lysander
Seasoned

Firefly help

#1 Postby Lysander » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:39 pm

Anyone have or can point me to what a standard Reaver would be in the Firefly 'verse?

Much obliged, as I aim to misbehave...
There is no problem in this Universe that can't be solved with the application of roasted porcine flesh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A

luisto
Seasoned

#2 Postby luisto » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:27 pm

How about a Zombie with more Strength and the Frenzy or Berzerk edge? One of the nice things about SW is the ability to quickly re-define a monster's stats for another setting...

skylion
Veteran

#3 Postby skylion » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:56 am

luisto wrote:How about a Zombie with more Strength and the Frenzy or Berzerk edge? One of the nice things about SW is the ability to quickly re-define a monster's stats for another setting...

Agreed. Simply take out the Undead ability of the zombie. I would toy around with giving Reavers Construct instead, as it makes them a whole bunch tougher as Extras.

If you want them to be meaner, give 'em Hardy.

Wild Card Reavers should be the smartest of the bunch. Yeah, they need some smart ones to pilot whatever ships they got.

Lysander
Seasoned

#4 Postby Lysander » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:29 am

awesome! Thanks for the advice...
There is no problem in this Universe that can't be solved with the application of roasted porcine flesh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A

jamused
Seasoned

#5 Postby jamused » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:39 pm

I wouldn't give them Hardy--they're not that hard to kill, there are just lots of them, and they're relentless. I'd also say they're not constructs or undead--at least called shots and poison ought to still work on them.

I'd give them Fearless, Combat Reflexes, Nerves of Steel, Berserk, and Fear. I'd also give them a Hindrance: Quirk: Want to capture victims alive. That explains their tendency to grapple instead of just shooting.

solabusca
Seasoned

#6 Postby solabusca » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:52 pm

jamused wrote:I wouldn't give them Hardy--they're not that hard to kill, there are just lots of them, and they're relentless. I'd also say they're not constructs or undead--at least called shots and poison ought to still work on them.

I'd give them Fearless, Combat Reflexes, Nerves of Steel, Berserk, and Fear. I'd also give them a Hindrance: Quirk: Want to capture victims alive. That explains their tendency to grapple instead of just shooting.

From my Savaged version of No Good Deeds by Scott Metz:

The Reaver (WC)
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d10, Vigor d10
Skills: Fighting d10, Intimidation d10, Notice d6, Stealth d8, Shooting d6
Pace: 6; Parry: 7; Toughness: 9
Edges: Improved Frenzy
Hindrances: Bloodthirsty, Ugly
Equipment: Nasty cleavers (Str+d6), bolt-thrower (Treat as crossbow), Alliance stunner (6/12/24, ROF 1, Shots 10, Vigor roll or be Shaken. Cannot attempt to recover for 1d6 rounds.)
Special Abilities:
Reaver: +2 Toughness, +2 to recover from Shaken, No Wound Modifiers.
Fear: Reavers cause people to be a mite uncomfortable. Terrified, really.
Fearless

These are stats for a solitary Reaver that's stalking the PCs in the secondary adventure.

For a mess of 'em, or a Reaver Horde, I'd downgrade the Reaver from WC status, and maybe drop some stats a bit (Strength and Vigor to d8, perhaps), as well as dropping Improved Frenzy to Frenzy.

If you're interested, here's a link to my Savaged version of the adventure

EDIT: Additionally, you may want to take a look at Savage Serenity, a sort of update to the earlier Savage Firefly, bringing in a lot of ideas from MWP's Serenity RPG.

.j.
D Jeremy Brown
Taffer, editor-at-large, karaoke wargod

Wendigo1870
Veteran

#7 Postby Wendigo1870 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:07 pm

I'd just think 'Orcs', but maybe that's just me taking it easy. They however seem to fullfill roughly the same function in the setting, and their stats seem appropriate.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

solabusca
Seasoned

#8 Postby solabusca » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:22 am

Wendigo1870 wrote:I'd just think 'Orcs', but maybe that's just me taking it easy. They however seem to fullfill roughly the same function in the setting, and their stats seem appropriate.

Well, here's the thing. The Reavers in Firefly are, in essence, an analogue for the so-called "Red Injuns", the Anglo view of the indigenous population of the Old West: Savages, warriors, ghosts in the night who raid villages and wagon-trains, leaving nothing but the mutilated dead in their wake.

Think along the lines of The Searchers and whatnot for an idea of what the original take was. Better yet, read the article I linked to.

With Serenity, the big reveal changes the nature of the beast: they become SpaceOrks or SpaceZombies (in one comment, Joss says something about River fighting Space Zombies).

It did kind of change the dynamic, but they're still the same creepy-ass psychos, carving themselves and others because they have the programmed URGE to.

It transitions them from an unknown (much more frightening) to a known (which, while frightening, is still KNOWABLE, and therefore can be understood.)

I prefer to run Reavers in Firefly fashion, not in mook-style. Players should feel the same way that Jayne felt in "Bushwhacked". Terrified of the Bogeyman.

You can note the change in his attitude by the time Serenity rolls around. He's faced it before, lived through it, had it become - while not commonplace, and while still frightening - survivable.

.j.
D Jeremy Brown

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#9 Postby Sitting Duck » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:04 am

Wendigo1870 wrote:I'd just think 'Orcs', but maybe that's just me taking it easy. They however seem to fullfill roughly the same function in the setting, and their stats seem appropriate.

Bite your tongue!

Reavers were victims of the Inverse Ninja Law. Don't let that happen to your Reavers.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

solabusca
Seasoned

#10 Postby solabusca » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Sitting Duck wrote:Bite your tongue!

Reavers were victims of the Inverse Ninja Law. Don't let that happen to your Reavers.

Naw. Reavers were victims of storyline modifying - of distilling down a full season's worth of Firefly into 2 hours. That's all.

.j.
D Jeremy Brown

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#11 Postby Sitting Duck » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:03 am

The Inverse Ninja Law applies. In the episode Bushwhacked, there was one Reaver and he was scary. In Serenity, there was a horde of them and they rush in like so many hapless mooks to get mowed down by a ninety pound Goth slut.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.

Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com

The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

SavageChristian
Seasoned

#12 Postby SavageChristian » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:14 pm

Ninjas...they're wacky.
Christian Lindke
I blog at Cinerati
Host of Geekerati
"If you can geek out about it, we will"
Can't resist...Must read more Savage Worlds...Aaaaaaah!

solabusca
Seasoned

#13 Postby solabusca » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:35 am

Sitting Duck wrote:The Inverse Ninja Law applies. In the episode Bushwhacked, there was one Reaver and he was scary. In Serenity, there was a horde of them and they rush in like so many hapless mooks to get mowed down by a ninety pound Goth slut.

Ah, but you are in error. In Serenity (the episode, not the movie), the Crew encounters a reaver SHIP (ie, many reavers in a can!), and it becomes submarine movie time.

Same thing with Bushwhacked. They don't even encounter one REAL Reaver in Bushwhacked - they encounter something they left behind. The real scary stuff happened before the crew even GOT there.

Finally - calling River a 'ninety-pound Goth Slut' is a bit ... yeah, tacky. 1) She ain't Goth, 2) She ain't a slut. So one out of three ain't bad.

I will, however, give you the fact that the MookReavers in the last moments of Serenity went down fairly easy - but then again, they're up against Zoe, post-"Leaf on the wind", Jayne (and his swingin' cod), Wonder Woman (bow-and-arrow Inara) and a suddenly enthusiastic about being sexed Kaylee.

And THEN they go and piss off the Alliance programmed Ginsu death-blossom.

So yeah, against an armed, organized and pissed off resistance, they don't do so well. Normally they deal with people who failed their Fear checks and are running in terror.
D Jeremy Brown

RPTroll
Seasoned

#14 Postby RPTroll » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:08 am

I like the orc idea with fear thrown in. You might also add Fearless and Ugly with a high intimidate score. Wild Card Reavers would have additional Edges. Check out 'Becoming Jaded' on pg 100 of SWEX to remove the fear effects over time.

solabusca
Seasoned

#15 Postby solabusca » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:06 am

Out of curiousity, how did your misbehavin' go?

.j.
D Jeremy Brown

Tuesday
Heroic

#16 Postby Tuesday » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:38 pm

I simply wish to point out that Summer Glau is *so bad* when it comes to the fight scenes that being beaten by River says very little about how good she is and *mounds* about how terribly incompetent you must be to get hit by *that*.

Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

#17 Postby Noshrok Grimskull » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:24 am

I don't agree on the point that they fulfill the same function (for all the reasons given by the posters above), but I do agree that the Orc stats would fit a Reaver quite nicely.
Just because you use the stats of an Orc doesn't mean it has to behave like an Orc.
"If you think I'm crazy, you should see the people I'm locked up with." - Steamdriven

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)

RPTroll
Seasoned

#18 Postby RPTroll » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:09 am

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:

I don't agree on the point that they fulfill the same function (for all the reasons given by the posters above), but I do agree that the Orc stats would fit a Reaver quite nicely.
Just because you use the stats of an Orc doesn't mean it has to behave like an Orc.

I've used the orc and ogre for a lot a creatures with the 'trappings' changed a bit. The zombie is another favorite.

doswelk
Seasoned

#19 Postby doswelk » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:37 am

solabusca wrote:And THEN they go and piss off the Alliance programmed Ginsu death-blossom.

Ever get the feeling she was designed to Fight Reavers, Blue Sun/Alliance want her back because she knows about Miranda, and she seems to me that she is meant to be a total killing machine but they did not get the chance to finish programming her...

Oh how much would we have found out if Firefly had got to run it's course....
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crispy and good with condiments.

solabusca
Seasoned

#20 Postby solabusca » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:37 pm

doswelk wrote:
solabusca wrote:And THEN they go and piss off the Alliance programmed Ginsu death-blossom.

Ever get the feeling she was designed to Fight Reavers, Blue Sun/Alliance want her back because she knows about Miranda, and she seems to me that she is meant to be a total killing machine but they did not get the chance to finish programming her...

Oh how much would we have found out if Firefly had got to run it's course....

Given what we've seen, I'd suggest that River was being designed to be the ultimate insertion agent. Sort of like what Joss is exploring in Welcome to the Dollhouse.

Her personality is being broken down, and they're basically just letting her be a psychic/empathic information receptor/probability calculator; then, with the activation codes, she completely eliminates the target organization.

In short, the ultimate assassin protocol - Bourne to the Nth degree.

Given that the initial development of said project was handled by a corporation with government contracts (Blue Sun) and it's own potentially similar enforcement branch (the Hands of Blue - I'd always supposed that the Glowstick o' Doom was a psychic weapon), and you have some interesting plot points that can still be explored in the 'Verse.

.j.
D Jeremy Brown

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”