[DLR] Relic as a Memorial

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

MountZionRyan
Seasoned

[DLR] Relic as a Memorial

#1 Postby MountZionRyan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:46 pm

This is just a little something I thought I'd share.

One of the heroes in my DLR game was killed by werewolves. He was the heart and moral center of the party. A young preacher with a unfailing faith and selfless bearing, he would regularly risk exposure in combat to heal his friends or bless their weapons.

Another of the party, Joseph Firebrand, hung the preacher's hat and gun over the bar in his saloon as a memorial. Sadly the saloon was torched by Mitchell's Marauders, a gang of mayhem-loving bad guys. When he saw the building engulfed in flames Joseph dashed inside and rescued the hat and gun.

I decided that between the preacher's faith and sacrifice and Joseph's actions the relics of Joshua Shaw should have some mystical oomph.

The hat has a blue fate chip once per session that can be spent by the player wearing it. It can only be spent in a selfless act.

The rifle, named Esther by Joshua, grants the shooter the benefit of the Marskman edge (for Esther only) when used against agents of evil.
Roll For News a podcast about what's new and noteworthy in Tabletop RPGs

Targetlock
Novice

#2 Postby Targetlock » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:45 am

nice idea, links to your characters and aren't too powerful. also maybe the character could here the preacher's guiding voice as a guardian angel (or devil :twisted: )kind of figure :wink:
Are you going to skin that smokewagon or whistle dixie?

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#3 Postby Cutter XXIII » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:54 am

Awesome. Just what Relics should be...one-of-a-kind and full of meaning. Every Relic should tell a story like that.

Now were it me, I'd say the torching of the saloon was a nasty, Fear-generating event. So the Relics do good things, but their power actually flows from the Reckoners and hides an unsavory taint. Maybe the user starts to exhibit the worst qualities of a frenzied, self-righteous faith over time. Slowly polluting a good man's memory is what evil is all about.

But then again...I'm sort of a bastard when I'm Marshal. :wink:
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

MountZionRyan
Seasoned

#4 Postby MountZionRyan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:30 am

Cutter XXIII wrote:
Now were it me, I'd say the torching of the saloon was a nasty, Fear-generating event.

Well, it was perpetrated by a gang led by a Harrowed.

:twisted:
Roll For News a podcast about what's new and noteworthy in Tabletop RPGs

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#5 Postby Cutter XXIII » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:50 am

See? There you go. :-D

Let them have their wonderful little feel-good relics for a while, even if there's no taint. But at the very least, the local Fearmongers are going to take notice sooner or later. Then, viva Los Diablos! :twisted:

Anyhow, thanks for sharing Ryan. Great ideas.
Matthew Cutter

Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)

Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”