Chase rules/Space Combat in Slipstream

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Sadric
Heroic

Chase rules/Space Combat in Slipstream

#1 Postby Sadric » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:20 am

Until now I have slightly ignored the chase rules.
But as I like to play a slipstreamgame over the christmass-holiday I have examined them closer. There isnt mentioned a Distance, But I guess 50 per step is correct?
A Swivel mounted Heat Ray has a range of: 20/40/60
This mean If the two ships are on the same "step" (half distance=25) you have middle range with -2, and one step means you have long range with -4.
Gravition beam and rocket guns have 30/60/90. sounds a little bit better. :-)
Same step means no mali
one step means mali of -2
but two step means the rocket/beam end 10 yards before my ship!!??

I would like to see a list of mali for different steps.
If I go with the 50/step, this should look like this.

Swivel Mounted
Graviton Beam 30/60/90
same step - 1.step -2 2.step-out of range!
Heat Ray 20/40/60
same step -2! 1.step-4! 2.step-out of range!
Ray Gun 50/100/200
same step - 1.step - 2.step -2 3-4.step-4
Rocket Gun 30/60/90
same step - 1.step -2 2.step-out of range!

especially the bold ones are somewhere between unclear and "this gun is totally useless!"

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Chase rules/Space Combat in Slipstream

#2 Postby Clint » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:00 pm

Sadric wrote:But as I like to play a slipstreamgame over the christmass-holiday I have examined them closer. There isnt mentioned a Distance, But I guess 50 per step is correct?

I'd probably go with 20 as the range increment.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Harshax
Seasoned

#3 Postby Harshax » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:52 pm

I believe 50 is the increment mentioned at the beginning of the setting rules chapter for slipstream. Not sure, don't have the book with me.

Sadric
Heroic

#4 Postby Sadric » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:35 am

Clint wrote:
Sadric wrote:But as I like to play a slipstreamgame over the christmass-holiday I have examined them closer. There isnt mentioned a Distance, But I guess 50 per step is correct?

I'd probably go with 20 as the range increment.

20 would make some more sense, but would make nose guns with a long range of 300 or even 400 pretty powerfull.
By the abstract chase rules it not very importantwhat the range increment is, its important what the mali is. The problem i have is the short range of some guns compart to the long range of others.
50 per step mean that I have some that could by a hairs breadth not fire at the second increament, but a nose ray gun coold fire 8 increments.
20 per step clears most swivel guns problems, but nearly all of the nose guns could fire over the whole field, some of them without even getting in long range.

I guess I have to make a house rule, without numbers for increments and a list for each gun, with mali per range that feel right.

I hate to make houserules in Savage Worlds. ;-)

Clint
Site Admin

#5 Postby Clint » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:29 am

Sadric wrote:50 per step mean that I have some that could by a hairs breadth not fire at the second increament, but a nose ray gun coold fire 8 increments.
20 per step clears most swivel guns problems, but nearly all of the nose guns could fire over the whole field, some of them without even getting in long range.

I'm not sure I understand. There are 3 basic nose guns, and their Short ranges are 40, 75, and 100 for one (which has the lowest damage and AP of them).

So using a Range Increment of 20, the 40 can fire at Short Range within 2 increments, the 75s within 3 increments, and the 100 within 5.

Only the one weapon with a base 100 range would never deal with Long Range during a chase, and again, it has the lowest damage of them all.

The point kind of being that in a chase, there should potentially be some weapons that could have a field of fire that covers the entire chase. To avoid them, you have to escape the chase (or destroy/disable the attacker). This gives three basic weapons (one swivel-mounted) the ability to fire at any target in a chase at up to their maximum Long range and just one that maxes out at Medium range at 6 range increments.

As a side note, keep in mind, that nose-mounted weapons can only be fired on targets in front of the attacker, so they are kind of limited if you are the one being chased. ;)

Anyway, didn't understand, so I thought I'd clarify the reasoning for using 20.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”