Throwing People

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Would you throw...

...your opponent...
71%
...or just your back out?
29%

Total votes: 14

Willow
Novice

Throwing People

#1 Postby Willow » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:43 pm

So, any guidelines out there on how far a character can physically throw another character? I would imagine first you'd have to grapple them, and then you'd have to throw them, but how far is too far?

(I have a scenario in mind that involves people being thrown into a pit.)

JackAce
Legendary

#2 Postby JackAce » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:09 pm

There's an Edge that enables you to do that in the Modern Martial Arts pdf, available (for free) here:
http://12tomidnight.com/category/downloads/

Appart from that, I'd expect, you couldn't trwo a person particularly far unless the target is completely subdued.

To throw someone into a pit, you'd probably grapple him (Fighting roll, one action), pick him up off the ground (Strength roll, second action), carry him to the rim of the pit (might take several actions depending on the distance) and then push him away from you.

Between the various steps, the target will have chances to break free from the grapple normally.

The pushing off I'd rule as if the thrower was releasing the grapple and then moving away from the target. This gives the target the oportunity for a free attack, so he can in turn grapple the thrower and keep himself from falling.
Please Click: ImageImageImage

Snate56
Legendary

#3 Postby Snate56 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:39 pm

That all depends on the strength of the thrower. :sly: I mean, if the Hulk were to grab you and toss you over his shoulder, you won't be doing a lot of counter-attacking.
If I'm big and strong enough to pick someone up bodily and throw him even three inches (6 yrds), am I going to be considered as retreating?

SteveN
"And then the indians rode down upon us. They was Arapahoe, Comanche, Cheyenne..... They was only three of 'em, but Dang! They was mean!"

R2Keen2
Novice

#4 Postby R2Keen2 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:01 am

I've contemplated the idea from an aikido perspective. Your not so much throwing them as redirecting their motion to send them off balance. Still I'd say its a fighting attack to grapple and maybe a fighting or throwing attempt to send them off.

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#5 Postby SlasherEpoch » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:21 am

I'd consider throwing or tripping a special Grappling attack or Agility trick, and the throwee winds up Prone.

Also I house rule out that thing in the books about people rising automatically from prone. That's crap.

R2Keen2
Novice

#6 Postby R2Keen2 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:34 am

I admit it kinda defeats the purpose of knocking someone down in the first place but it does drop his parry if you throw him near an ally who could attack before it gets up.

The GIT!
Heroic

#7 Postby The GIT! » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:51 pm

The way I work it is that Throwing is a grappling based action. A success makes the opponent prone and a raise means he is also shaken.

As for a Trip attack, I basically use the Trick manoeuvre. In this case an opponent can't be shaken.

An extra house rule I added is that a prone defender who is shaken cannot get up until the shaken status is removed.

Oh - and if a prone defender wants to get up he'll have to do it on his turn and it will count as an action. May seem harsh, but that's the way I like it :jack:

chatterbox
Seasoned

#8 Postby chatterbox » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:03 pm

Snate56 wrote:That all depends on the strength of the thrower. :sly: I mean, if the Hulk were to grab you and toss you over his shoulder, you won't be doing a lot of counter-attacking.
Sure you would, you'd be struggling. It's just that the Hulk's d12+30 strength makes it very hard to beat in a grappling roll.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Throwing People

#9 Postby Clint » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:45 pm

Willow wrote:So, any guidelines out there on how far a character can physically throw another character? I would imagine first you'd have to grapple them, and then you'd have to throw them, but how far is too far?

(I have a scenario in mind that involves people being thrown into a pit.)

I'd say after the grapple, just use the same roll as for attempting damage to throw the target. A success allows you to "throw" them into any adjacent square, and a raise allows them to be thrown into a square up to 1" away.

If need be, Size difference could be added (if lower) or subtracted (if larger) from the distance. So a human could throw a Size -1 creature 1" on a success and 2" on a raise, but he would need a raise to throw a Size +1 creature even into an adjacent square. And he couldn't throw anything of Size +2 or larger at all.

Meanwhile, an Ogre (Size +3) could throw a human (Size 0) 3" on a success and 4" with a raise.

That should cover most uses I'd think.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

pheylorn
Novice

#10 Postby pheylorn » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:44 pm

I like Clint's ruling alot. I'll be using that myself.

Jordan Peacock
Legendary

#11 Postby Jordan Peacock » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:48 pm

Thanks for that ruling! This is actually a problem that cropped up in the very first session when I was playtesting for another game system that shall go unnamed.

It was a peculiar setting in which there were dramatic size differences between different fantasy races, and a barroom brawl was going on. We had a nasty time trying to figure out a fair way to handle the Really Big Guy throwing the Really Puny Guys out of the building, and the game designer seemed aghast that we actually needed to know rules for throwing people when I turned in my after-game report.

(Similarly, I've had trouble with another yet another older game-system-that-shall-go-unnamed where a PC specifically had a power to telekinetically move objects around, and yet the game system gave no specific rules on how to determine what damage such objects should cause when smacking into someone, or when dropped from the maximum height onto a target, or whether or not the target should get a chance to scramble out of the way first.)

So this sort of stuff is nice to have handy, just in case. :)

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”