Crystal Wood?

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Zinoph Hizoto
Seasoned

Crystal Wood?

#1 Postby Zinoph Hizoto » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Hey all, an odd question. A friend of mine runs a game with a magical substance known as crystal wood; large living crystals that grow out of the ground in tree like shapes. Its inherently magical and stores magic easily, in fact the most powerful magic items (i.e. Relics) in his world are made of the stuff. My question is has anybody else run across this concept in another RPG or fantasy series? A movie maybe? I would like to hear where the source might of come from.

Thanks!
Me: How do you spell writ?
Mike: W, r, i , t.
Me: So there's no "e"?
Mike: Thats right.

Wendigo1870
Veteran

#2 Postby Wendigo1870 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:35 pm

Basically, crystals are are a staple fantasy product to be magically sensitive. Having it behave in a natural way akin to trees isn't that farfetched IMO.
So it doesn't really sound too odd; such a concept could exist in different versions in various settings.
Right now I'm imagining Wraithbone, from the Eldar from 40K. It's a psychic-reactive substance, which gets shaped by the Eldar Bonesingers. But it's partly a living substance too. Whole Eldar craftworlds are shaped out of it.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

shadd4d
Legendary
Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

Re: Crystal Wood?

#3 Postby shadd4d » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:53 am

Zinoph Hizoto wrote:a magical substance known as crystal wood; large living crystals that grow out of the ground in tree like shapes. Its inherently magical and stores magic easily, in fact the most powerful magic items (i.e. Relics) in his world are made of the stuff. My question is has anybody else run across this concept in another RPG or fantasy series?

If you look at the first Death Gate Cycle novel Dragon Wing, the trees of Arianis are described as being crystalline in structure. That said, they're never referenced as being inherently magical or used in magic item construction. In that setting, they are treated...as being more brittle.

Don
Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01

Scott A. Woodard
Heroic

#4 Postby Scott A. Woodard » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:11 pm

Somewhat similar is Ghost Rock, that mysterious (and undeniably magical) fuel-source that is at the heart of many a Mad Scientists' creation in The Weird West (see 'Deadlands').

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”