Beastmaster and pets

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

SavageIBS
Novice

Beastmaster and pets

#1 Postby SavageIBS » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:45 pm

I want to run an adventure for a friend who wants to play a Beastmaster with a pet or two. I don't have any books other than the SWEX core book so I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions about how to roll up the pet/pets?

Would they be wild cards or allies? Its just going to be me GMing and this other so I don't know if allies will be strong enough.

Thanks for any thoughts.
"I have the the cure for what ails ya.....aye, bulk forming fiber!"

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#2 Postby SlasherEpoch » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:10 pm

They're usually Allies. However, for the sake of a cool character concept, you might say they have 3 Wounds like a Wild Card. If you're still worried, go ahead and make the pet a Wild Card - after all, they'll figure into the story as much as the main character.

As for pets, the SWEX core book has rules for dogs, horses, lions, and bears. Between those, you can make most pets. Raptors can be found in Savage Beasts, which is available here:
http://www.zombienirvana.com/?page_id=19

SavageIBS
Novice

#3 Postby SavageIBS » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:44 pm

I like the idea of giving the pets 3 wounds. Part of the backstory for the character is a strong bond between her and animals and especially the ones that travel with her so they definitely need to be tough. She would be devistated if her animal companions kept dropping like flies.

SavageIBS
Novice

#4 Postby SavageIBS » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:20 am

SlasherEpoch wrote: Snip........Savage Beasts, which is available here:
http://www.zombienirvana.com/?page_id=19

I notice that the date they use for the SW copyright is 2004. Any idea if the Beasts in Savage Beasts is current for SWEX? If not I wonder what modifications you'd have to make. Also do you have any idea what the WC stands for after some entries?

Great resource BTW thank you.

WickedRoland
Seasoned

#5 Postby WickedRoland » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:11 am

I would guess that WC indicates Wild Card status for the creature.

JackAce
Legendary

#6 Postby JackAce » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:46 am

If the pet was like a singular familiar (possibly with some kind of mental connection to the character) I'd give it full WC status. In this case, the one WC pet would be pretty much irreplaceable, so if it does die for some reason, she wouldn't simply get a new one.

If the bond is less extreme than that - and especially if the character has multiple pets - I'd leave them as Extras.

Also note hat an Extra is not automatically Dead as soon as it takes a single Wound. It still still gets to make a vigor roll at the end of the Battle, and if the character also has Beast Bond, the pet could use one of the character's Bennies to prevent failing this roll.
Please Click: ImageImageImage

SavageIBS
Novice

#7 Postby SavageIBS » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:14 pm

JackAce is Beast Bond an edge from somewhere?

Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

#8 Postby Adam Baulderstone » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:57 pm

SavageIBS wrote:JackAce is Beast Bond an edge from somewhere?

Beast Bond is in SWEX on page 33. Savage Beasts and any other old supplements are fine to use with SWEX. The only thing relevant to NPC statd that has changed is melee damage. It used to be based on a Strength roll plus a flat bonus. Now it is a strength roll plus a die.

Here's a chart to demonstrate,

Str+1 becomes Str+1d4
Str+2 becomes Str+1d6
Str+3 becomes Str+1d8
Str+4 becomes Str+1d10
Str+5 becomes Str+1d12
Str+6 becomes Str+1d12+1

And so on. It so simple you can just convert it in your head as you go.

Other than that, anything you find in old supplements should be fully compatible with SWEX. Aside from melee damage, the only changes in SWEX were the Injury and incapacitation rules the chase rules, and the wording of some Edges, none of which affect the reading of ols stat blocks.

You can use old supplements with the new rules, new supplements with the old rules, or mix and match your favorite parts of the different editions without any trouble.

SavageIBS
Novice

#9 Postby SavageIBS » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:05 pm

Thanks for the help Adam that is easy to remember. Since I'm new to SW I didn't realize that there wasn't a whole lot changed in the core rules. Its nice to know that I can use pretty much anything I find and not have to convert very much at all.

Thanks again everyone for helping a newb out

JackAce
Legendary

#10 Postby JackAce » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:25 pm

SavageIBS wrote:JackAce is Beast Bond an edge from somewhere?

It's from the core rulebook.

SW:EX p. 33
Please Click: ImageImageImage

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”