Snotlings

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

voidstate
Seasoned

Snotlings

#1 Postby voidstate » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:42 am

How would you stat snotlings for Savage Worlds.

I'm talking tiny goblinoids. The bottom of the food chain. Even goblins push them around.

They're about a foot high, can't pick up anything heavy, are sneaky and very good at dodging blows from bigger creatures (the ones that aren't don't last long).

Any ideas?
50 Fathoms AP: swashbuckling, slave girls, peg-leg dwarves, it's got it all
Freeport AP: Skulduggery in Freeport
ActualPlay.com: find/post APs

JackAce
Legendary

#2 Postby JackAce » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:11 pm

First of all, I'm afraid that the name "Snotling" is probably copyrighted...

I suggest you edit it out of your post, and then we can start talking about it. :-D
Please Click: ImageImageImage

Clint
Site Admin

#3 Postby Clint » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:50 pm

Gob-lette (mini-goblin)

Start with a fresh Goblin (page 149 SWEX).
Reduce all Traits one die type (except Strength).
Change to Size -2.
Add Small (-2 to be hit).
Salt and pepper to taste.
Done.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

voidstate
Seasoned

#4 Postby voidstate » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:21 pm

Nilbogs? Boglins? Snivvelings? Snifflings? Sh*tlings? Turdlings? Kobolds?

Seriously, I don't see Games Workshop worrying about one post on a forum too much...

Anyway, thanks for your replay, Clint. That has all the beics, but I reckon they should have a few advantages and disadvantages that make them special... unfortunately, my mind is drawing a blank.

Clint
Site Admin

#5 Postby Clint » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:18 pm

voidstate wrote:Seriously, I don't see Games Workshop worrying about one post on a forum too much...

It's our policy, not theirs.

Forum Rules wrote:Do not post conversions on the forum of material that is copywritten. Posting the stats for Lou K. Windrunner, Psi Ranger is fine, but not that other guy.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

dentris
Veteran

#6 Postby dentris » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:49 pm

What about adding a little unique ability.

Unnoticeable

Gob-lettes are a nuisance and are rarely considered a threat when bigger and greener creatures are fighting alongside them. The gobe-lette cannot be targeted by an ennemy (area of effect attacks are fair game, however, as long as a non go-lette is also affected) if there is a bigger opponent in range. As soon as the gob-lette causes a wound to an opponent, the unnoticeable ability doesn't affect him anymore.

I believe its perfect for them, and motivates the gob-lette to stick to tricks.
But the Voice consoles me and it says: "Keep your dreams;
Wise men do not have such beautiful ones as fools!"
--Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal, 1857, Translated by William Aggeler, 1954

JackAce
Legendary

#7 Postby JackAce » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:10 pm

Or the utterly uncreative and blatantly obvious solution:

They come in Swarms!

Wendigo1870
Veteran

#8 Postby Wendigo1870 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:42 pm

In 'BattleMallet Quest' these Boogerlings had 'gang-up bonus'. Maybe for SW they have no max gang-up bonus.
And they all do special combo's thanks to the bonus: the first ones do tricks (one kneeling behind the target, the other ones push), after that rabid ones do Wild attacks with their Mushroom Clubs. Other do called shots by climbing each other to get at the targets' face and eyes, ...

Also note that they're notorious filchers and thieves. They probably have high stealth, with bonuses for being so small (and/or with Dentris' Unnoticeable ability). (I'd not give them the 'Thief Edge': that's too highly trained for them.)

Or indeed, as JackAce says, make'em swarms. That's how it was done in the original game.

Any ideas about a Boogerling-Mobile?
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Lord Lance
Heroic

#9 Postby Lord Lance » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:58 pm

JackAce wrote:Or the utterly uncreative and blatantly obvious solution:

They come in Swarms!

Noooooo! You stole my thought! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Damn, a Swarm is visually what i figure when i think to a group of Gob-lettes attacking!!!

manifold
Veteran

hrm....

#10 Postby manifold » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:24 am

Wow...a sneaky swarm. Now that's really funny!

Gm: Make a Notice roll.

(botch)

Player: Crud. Um...I do suppressive fire in a random direction with my bolt gun.

Gm: What bolt gun?

:twisted:

voidstate
Seasoned

#11 Postby voidstate » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:25 am

Unfortunately, these'll be a PC race so swarms are out.

I like the idea of being an non-threatening target but don't like taking away decision making like that. How about this as an alternative:

Puny Target
You are so non-threatening that enemies generally won't attack you unless there's no other available target. When in close combat, enemies are at -2 Fighting to hit you provided you have an ally they could target instead. This penalty does not apply if you have shaken or damaged them this encounter (tricks do not count).

And:

Cower
By leaping about and using your small size to avoid blows and confuse opponents, you make yourself difficult to hit. Increase your Parry by +1 provided you have moved this round.

Lord Lance
Heroic

#12 Postby Lord Lance » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:14 am

voidstate wrote:Unfortunately, these'll be a PC race so swarms are out.

Well, if you want Snotings like old mythic Warhammer miniature battles, you should give the player a Swarm of Snotling! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, the player should give a name for his 10 ~ 20 mini-PCs, roleplaying ALL of them, moving all together (did you ever see a Snotling adventuring ALONE??), sometime chatting to oneself... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Fantastic Role Play scenes!
I can barely imagine the "Snotlings" player doin' a lot of different voices while speaking with the Narrator doin' the shopkeeper, in a "equip session"!

JackAce
Legendary

#13 Postby JackAce » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:37 am

Also, from what I heard last, Scairy Tales will have rules for playing Swarm characters. :-D

Of course, the status of Scairy Tales is currently unknown... :(

jerepp
Seasoned

#14 Postby jerepp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Lord Lance wrote:
voidstate wrote:Unfortunately, these'll be a PC race so swarms are out.

Well, if you want Snotings like old mythic Warhammer miniature battles, you should give the player a Swarm of Snotling! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, the player should give a name for his 10 ~ 20 mini-PCs, roleplaying ALL of them, moving all together (did you ever see a Snotling adventuring ALONE??), sometime chatting to oneself... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Fantastic Role Play scenes!
I can barely imagine the "Snotlings" player doin' a lot of different voices while speaking with the Narrator doin' the shopkeeper, in a "equip session"!

I especially like the bit where he gangs up on himself and pounds the... well... snot out of himself over who gets to wear the helmet.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”