Learning Savage Worlds Combat

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

PencilBoy99
Seasoned

Learning Savage Worlds Combat

#1 Postby PencilBoy99 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:07 pm

Is there an extended description/example of Savage Worlds combat somewhere? I'm just not getting it (I'm sure it's the head injury or medication or something) from the explorer's guide.

Apologies if the example is in the list already - I tried a search but did not find it.

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#2 Postby SlasherEpoch » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:41 pm

What don't you get, exactly? I can give you something quick but specific questions are easier to answer.

Wendigo1870
Veteran

#3 Postby Wendigo1870 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:12 pm

And there's also a combat assistance PDF and a flowchart PDF floating around somewhere on these boards, if that might be useful.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Lysander
Seasoned

#4 Postby Lysander » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:14 pm

The core book (IMO) is a little weak in this department.

What I think he wants is something like what appears in the 'Fantasy d20' game where a group of heroes has a battle with a group of dungeon monsters and they battle it out for a few rounds, all the while giving examples of different parts of the game (init, movement, to hit/damage, spells, special actions, skill rolls, etc.)

I don't know of any off the top of my head of a step by step combat example. Anyone else?
There is no problem in this Universe that can't be solved with the application of roasted porcine flesh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A

PencilBoy99
Seasoned

#5 Postby PencilBoy99 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:03 am

Yes, thanks. That is what I was looking for - you see them in many game books. They have a sample of play where the characters fight something and go through a sample combat. I don't know that I can ask any useful questions since I don't quite understand anything except initiative.

GreenTongue
Heroic

#6 Postby GreenTongue » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:03 am

I posted some examples on my web page a long time back. They have not been vetted but still, they may at least give a place to start asking questions.

http://home.earthlink.net/~djackson24/Delbert6a.htm
Examples of Applying Savage Worlds Rule System

An Example Combat - Morusai hi Ujjain and The Bandits
An Example of Non-Combat - Banyu's Escapade
An Example of a Chase - Arrested!
An Example of Fatigue's Effects - Tabunta's Trail
=

JackAce
Legendary

#7 Postby JackAce » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:45 am

That's a nice bit of combat there, GreenTongue.

A few comments, though:

This example still uses the old Damage system. Under SWEX rules, the bandits' spears do Str+d6 Damage (2d6 in their case) and Morusai's enchanted battle axe does Str+d8+2 (2d8+2 in Morusai's hands). Also, Morusai does no longer get to roll a Wild die for the Strength portion of his Damage roll.

Beginning the encounter with a "Test of Wills" the sides establish their identities to intimidate their opponent. While this is optional, the effect is worth the effort though it does not last until the next turn.

Yes, it can last into the next turn. The bonus gained from Intimidating an opponent lasts until the opponent's next action. Whenever that may be...

The bandits all have a Spirit of d6. Because their leader is Intimidated they need to roll to decide to attack.

This is not part of the official SW core rules.

The bandits are Average with d6 in Fighting and since there are two of them they get a "Gang-up bonus" of +1 for each additional attacker over the first.

Their spears' Reach would allow the bandits to attack while staying 1" away from Morusai. But they need to move into direct contact to grant each other the gang-up bonus. Only additional enemies adjacent to the target grant this bonus, not everyone that's attacking.

Morusai decides to expend one of his "Bennies" to eliminate the "Shaken" instead of waiting and rolling against his Spirit. This choice must be made BEFORE any next action is resolved.

Not quite correct.
Under the old rules, the Bennie had to be spend before attempting to un-Shake with a Spirit roll.
In SWEX, you can even wait until after the Spirit roll and still spend a Bennie to un-Shake if you don't like the result.

the Trick and Attack count as two.

At this point I was wondering "which Attack?" until I found it mentioned in the following paragraph.
If you wish to perform multiple actions in one round, this must be stated before rolling any dice for any of these actions (because all dice rolls will be affected by the Multi-Action-Penalty).

The unShaken ones will perform the Defend Option (giving a +2 to Parry).

Note that the bandits could not Defend and Run in the same Action, so if the archers had not cut them down, both of them would have been left within Morusai's Pace distance. This would have allows Morusai to easiliy catch up with them (or at least one of them, if they were retreating in different directions) to attack them again.

Though the Bandit Leader makes his escape by using the Joker to increase his Pace for running. His d6 roll of 4 was increased to 6 (the max).

Where did the bandit leader suddenly get a Joker from?
And how could he use it to improve his running distance?
A Joker grants a +2 bonus to Trait and Damage rolls, but Running is neither...
Please Click: ImageImageImage

GreenTongue
Heroic

#8 Postby GreenTongue » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks for the vetting, been quite a while since I reviewed it.
Guess I'll need to update it with corrections.
=

ProfMarks
Seasoned

#9 Postby ProfMarks » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:02 pm

GreenTonque,

Perfect or not, this is a really helpful post and file. I've bookmarked it myself and find a lot of value in it. I learn by example, and while I love pretty much all things SW, the relative lack of examples (yes yes, I know Virginia and Buck are sprinkled about, but even PotBS uses the same examples reskinned) does make it a bit harder to visualize.

If you updated your file to the new rules that would be fantastic, but even in it's present form, aces to you!

PencilBoy99
Seasoned

#10 Postby PencilBoy99 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Thank you. That is what I was looking for.

Doc_klueless
Novice

#11 Postby Doc_klueless » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:04 am

Just what I needed too. Thanks.

Lord Inar
Heroic

#12 Postby Lord Inar » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:03 am

Hi Greentongue,

Any interest in updating your great description as a Shark Bytes article?

- Marc

GreenTongue
Heroic

#13 Postby GreenTongue » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:52 am

Didn't think it was That great but if you would like ...
=

Murgh Bpurn
Seasoned

#14 Postby Murgh Bpurn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:15 pm

Lord Inar wrote:Hi Greentongue,

Any interest in updating your great description as a Shark Bytes article?

- Marc

GreenTongue wrote:Didn't think it was That great but if you would like ...

You could possibly add some pictues using some of the community maps and tokens made for VTs?
Swashbuckling, Spying & Sorcery in Supernatural Drake's Plymouth.

GreenTongue
Heroic

#15 Postby GreenTongue » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:50 pm

Updated the text. No graphics added at this point.
=

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”