RPOL.net? (or other online play)

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

redcard
Novice

RPOL.net? (or other online play)

#1 Postby redcard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:09 am

Okay, I know there is an official savage worlds set for FG2. However, I also know that my money is very tight until the economy rights itself. The extras are somewhat trimmed from my life.

I also know I don't have very many chances to play in real life, and a friend suggested RPOL.net. Here's my question to all of you. What do you guys do for online play/play when you cannot find a group in real life?

Thanks.

Sadric
Heroic

#2 Postby Sadric » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:12 am

Rpol and Fantasy Grounds are two different things.

One is a Play by mail game and the other is a chat system.

Both have tools geared to roleplaying (dice system, GM-options, maps).

There are other (free) systems like Fantasy Grounds, but FG looks best.
With this chatsystems you shuold create something that is very similiar to a classic game on the table.

Rpol are mail systems, similiar to this forum. You could create in deep roleplaying because you have a lot of time to think about your action, but its really...

S

L

O

W

A combat round could easily last more then a week, and often players simply vanish, simply because a game doesnt interest them anymore or real life problems. Im not sure you really could play a longer campaign on rpol, this would take many years.

redcard
Novice

#3 Postby redcard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:16 am

I guess what I'm curious about is where is a good place to FIND groups to play with online? Since I'm not going to find them down here in Tennessee, believe me, I've looked.. and what exists here tends to be D&D.

But I've never done PbP or Fantasy Grounds or anything similar. I'm trying to figure out if I can get into it, or not, and asking advice from people who seemingly have gotten into it.

fanchergw
Heroic

#4 Postby fanchergw » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:31 am

I've never used any of the chat gaming systems like FG, but have been playing PbP for around 15 years now. There are numerous PbP sites on the web, from tiny sites with only a handful of regular participants (which tend to be my preference) to much larger sites like DreamLyrics and RPOL with hundreds or thousands of members. It's really a matter of seeing what's out there and finding a place where you feel at home.

Sadric is right that things tend to move slowly, with the tradeoff of the opportunity for very deep characterization. Long campaigns are possible; I've had characters that lasted as much as 10 years. Of course, for every one of those, you'll have 5 that last less than a month. That's just the nature of the PbP experience.

Gordon

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#5 Postby Cutter XXIII » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:58 pm

redcard wrote:Since I'm not going to find them down here in Tennessee, believe me, I've looked.. and what exists here tends to be D&D.

Are you near Chattanooga? Because that's near Signal Mountain, where the one and only Sean Patrick Fannon runs Savage games. You might want to send Sean a PM if you're in that area.
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

redcard
Novice

#6 Postby redcard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Nah, I'm in Nashville, and unfortunately, I don't have the ability to drive a few hours every week or so to play.

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#7 Postby Cutter XXIII » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:09 pm

That's a bummer. Well, all I can suggest is seeing if Sean or Mark Swafford (known as "Boulder" 'round these here parts) know of any Savage gaming in Nashville. They're people who know people, so I wouldn't put it past them.

Good luck!
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

GreenTongue
Heroic

#8 Postby GreenTongue » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:21 pm

As far as RPOL ... here is the link to an enclave of Savages there:
http://rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=21800&date=1225464899
=

poody
Heroic

#9 Postby poody » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:06 pm

Our group uses OpenRPG for gaming online. It is one of the VTT (Virtual Table Top) programs, like FG. It makes things easier for us, given that we are spread out from AZ, KY and NJ.

As for finding a group for something like this... There's the Players Seeking Players forum on this site. Also, if you wanted to try the VTT thing, you can PM me, and we can maybe set something up for you.

I know there are several that play via MapTool as well.

Rich
Check out the Custom Adventure Card Creator

Or view ones that others have made here

marshal kt
Legendary

#10 Postby marshal kt » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:10 pm

rpol and rondaksportal.com are both PbP sites.. rondaks has private chat rooms available if you can play play by chat.
that's hard, because it has the same problems as pling in rl..being available to get together at the same time.
"I'm Hotep"

BlueSun
Novice

#11 Postby BlueSun » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:12 pm

...and OpenRPG is free.

Add Skype (free internet telephone) and all that's missing is seeing your friends and sharing their chips.

~Bob
You'll get used to it... or you'll have a psychotic episode. ~ Zed, MiB

RPTroll
Seasoned

#12 Postby RPTroll » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:25 pm

I use maptool. Their forum is worth a browse here http://forums.rptools.net/

There is also a thread that discusses maptool use with Savage Worlds found here http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=5731 and here http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2636

You can find some screen shots of Tomb of Terrors here using maptool
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=22

Its free with tutorials galore and a very active user base.

redcard
Novice

#13 Postby redcard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:52 pm

Man, that's phenomenal. That would work for me :)

I think :)

Still gotta get people together, but I like that.

I could see myself doing voice chat using vent or skype, and using maptool to handle combat / tactical situations.

RPTroll
Seasoned

#14 Postby RPTroll » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:41 am

I've done both skype and chat. Skype is a lot faster play wise but chat is sort of nice cuz it keeps a history of everything.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”