[Wonderland No More] Card Ship Prototype

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Jordan Peacock
Legendary

[Wonderland No More] Card Ship Prototype

#1 Postby Jordan Peacock » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:57 am

I made a "card ship" for my Wonderland No More scenario I ran for Necronomicon 2008. All the card art is original: I drew up the "face" cards (Jack, Queen and King of Hearts) loosely based on illustrations by Sir John Tenniel from "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and also drew the fancy suit designs, then used the created "card" faces to make textures to print onto cardstock - and to assemble these pieces into something remotely resembling a ship. I used the "pink stuff" - visible through gaps in the picture - insulation foam board - to make a "skeleton" for the ship to attach the sections of cardstock to, and to provide a relatively sturdy surface for miniatures.

The masts were salvaged from a "ghost ship" I'd kitbashed together for my (now-finished) Pirates RPG campaign, with some larger-sized print-outs of card designs for the sails.

Once time permits, my ideal is to take what I learned from assembling the "prototype" and make a PDF for constructing your own Wonderland "card ship." (This version would have a few more surface details, such as port holes, doors, grates, rigging, etc., and I guess I'd need to make some paper masts, too.) I've also made some custom "Wonderland No More" ship sheets, though since there are no vehicle rules in WNM, and there are no adventures to speak of on the high seas, they're of course apocryphal.

Anyway, it was a fun time at Necronomicon. The scenario was interesting, though it was made a bit difficult by a high amount of "every man/Tweedle/rabbit/cat/card for him/herself" and outright infighting. That sort of thing seems to happen more often at convention pick-up games than at my house games, in my experience. (I suppose players have less investment in establishing trust with other PCs, when it's a one-shot.)

GreenTongue
Heroic

#2 Postby GreenTongue » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Nice concept and model.

All you need now is the tic-tic-tic of a pocket watch to riff off of Hook.
:-D
=

stephengroy
Novice

#3 Postby stephengroy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:06 pm

That's way cool!!

Tuesday
Heroic

#4 Postby Tuesday » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:21 pm

I love it.

Daosus
Novice