Questions from My players (Modern Campaign), with magic

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

doswelk
Seasoned

Questions from My players (Modern Campaign), with magic

#1 Postby doswelk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:54 pm

"I was wondering if there's anything like it in Savage Worlds. More specifically, I was wondering if there is any way I could have a special katana ordered (perhaps even imported from Japan), that would be perhaps a lot more expensive but sharper and thus doing more damage, or perhaps better balanced to make it easier to hit with. Something like the Hattori Hanzo swords in the Kill Bill movies."

Another player (who has taken pacifist) wants to have a stungun or taser I cannot find any rules for those (other than the Mega Taser in NE)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crispy and good with condiments.

JackAce
Legendary

Re: Questions from My players (Modern Campaign), with magic

#2 Postby JackAce » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:41 pm

doswelk wrote:...a special katana ... that would be perhaps a lot more expensive but sharper and thus doing more damage, or perhaps better balanced to make it easier to hit with. Something like the Hattori Hanzo swords in the Kill Bill movies."

In a way, this effect is already built into the Katana in the SW:EX rulebook. That's why it does Str+d6+2, rather than Str+d8 or +d10. It deals out extra damage without requiring a humungous Strength to weild it effectively.

For a well balanced sword, why not just give it an extra +1 to Parry?

doswelk wrote:Another player (who has taken pacifist) wants to have a stungun or taser I cannot find any rules for those (other than the Mega Taser in NE)

Several solutions to this have been suggested in the past.

My favorite is 3/6/-, 3d6, Non-Lethal Damage, cannot penetrate armor.

Its high Damage rating gives you a very good chance of knocking out an Extra with one good hit, but the taser itself won't kill anyone.

Its maximum Range is 6" (I'm not even sure if real tasers get that far) but this distance only counts as Medium Range.
Please Click: ImageImageImage

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Questions from My players (Modern Campaign), with magic

#3 Postby Clint » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:58 pm

doswelk wrote:"I was wondering if there's anything like it in Savage Worlds. More specifically, I was wondering if there is any way I could have a special katana ordered (perhaps even imported from Japan), that would be perhaps a lot more expensive but sharper and thus doing more damage, or perhaps better balanced to make it easier to hit with. Something like the Hattori Hanzo swords in the Kill Bill movies."

If you have the Fantasy Gear Toolkit, you could look at the Artificer Edges in there, and just make them some kind of Master Craftsman Edge or something.

But really, that's for a PC who wants to make such items; if just looking for something that can be bought, the GM just has to decide if it's even available in the setting and set a price and conditions to purchase it.

doswelk wrote:Another player (who has taken pacifist) wants to have a stungun or taser I cannot find any rules for those (other than the Mega Taser in NE)

I don't remember doing anything official for a taser (maybe we did), but people have done a lot of different versions of them.

I'd probably look up some stats and go with something like...

Taser
Range - 1/2/4 (2/4/8 military/police)
Damage - 2d6 nonlethal
ROF - 1
Shots - 1
Notes - Target must make a Vigor roll at -2 (plus any Armor worn) or be Shaken before applying damage. If the target rolls a 1 on their Vigor die, they may take lethal damage from the attack. For Extras roll an additional d6, and on a 1, they take lethal damage. Wild Cards do so if their Wild Die also comes up a 1 (a critical failure).

I think some of these can remove the firing unit and be used in close combat with a lesser effect. I'd just use the Vigor roll then, and leave the damage out of it.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

grendel2175
Seasoned

#4 Postby grendel2175 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Just a side note on the taser...

Most police issue tasers are made for close combat deployment with or without the ranged mechanism firing. This is referred to as "drive stun" and functions as pain compliance. Meaning that the nervous system isn't knocked out, so you could potentially fight through it.

In other words... take what Clint said and flip it. Keep the damage and drop the Vigor roll for a close combat drive stun.

Oh and don't forget you +2 for only needing to touch your target :)

(and for the record, the times I have been hit with a taser the damage must have aced...)

Enjoy
Grendel

doswelk
Seasoned

#5 Postby doswelk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:29 am

I forgot to add the link to the Taser the party now want to get.....

http://www.taser.com/PRODUCTS/LAW/Pages/XREP.aspx
---------------------------------

Clint:

Notes - Target must make a Vigor roll at -2 (plus any Armor worn)

Not sure I understand the any armor worn bit, If they are wearing armor I add the armor bonus to the Vigor roll?

Clint
Site Admin

#6 Postby Clint » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:44 am

doswelk wrote:
Notes - Target must make a Vigor roll at -2 (plus any Armor worn)

Not sure I understand the any armor worn bit, If they are wearing armor I add the armor bonus to the Vigor roll?

Yep. Basically, it's just a way to show that the armor can provide some "insulation" from the charge.

Personally, I'd rather hear Grendel's take on them as he has actually been hit with them (I've only been shot with a shotgun).
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

doswelk
Seasoned

#7 Postby doswelk » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:29 am

grendel2175 wrote:Just a side note on the taser...

Most police issue tasers are made for close combat deployment with or without the ranged mechanism firing. This is referred to as "drive stun" and functions as pain compliance. Meaning that the nervous system isn't knocked out, so you could potentially fight through it.

In other words... take what Clint said and flip it. Keep the damage and drop the Vigor roll for a close combat drive stun.

Oh and don't forget you +2 for only needing to touch your target :)

(and for the record, the times I have been hit with a taser the damage must have aced...)

Enjoy

Having a thick moment grendel2175, I am not sure what you mean about flipping it...

Do you mean it just does 2d6 non-lethal damage (and no shaken/vigor roll)?

TTM
Novice

#8 Postby TTM » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:47 am

Clint wrote:Personally, I'd rather hear Grendel's take on them as he has actually been hit with them (I've only been shot with a shotgun).

:1eek1: Only? That must be a pretty manly story!

Has anyone mentioned Freeze +P yet?

Clint
Site Admin

#9 Postby Clint » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:21 am

TTM wrote:
Clint wrote:Personally, I'd rather hear Grendel's take on them as he has actually been hit with them (I've only been shot with a shotgun).

:1eek1: Only? That must be a pretty manly story!

Not so much really. ;)

More an example of a low damage roll at medium-long range. Just ticked me off.
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

Control
Seasoned

#10 Postby Control » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 pm

I've seen threads before on Tazer or Stun Guns, I did a search of the Forum and didn't find them though. :(

As far as the Katana goes, you could apply the trademark weapon edge to the sword instead of the player. That's +1 to the attack roll and damage if I remember correctly, and +2 for improved. It sets the sword apart without complication. I don't know if I'd let it stack with a character's edge then though. But you did mention Kill Bill so having a potential +4 to hit and damage might be just the over the top, "I never miss" kind of action you want. :)
Getting more savage all the time...

Tuesday
Heroic

#11 Postby Tuesday » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:46 pm

Trademark Weapon is just +1 to hit - but I wouldn't apply that Edge to the sword itself. And people in Kill Bill missed all the time - what do you think all the parries are? They just didn't usually miss against mooks, which could be expressed quite handily with a high Fighting, Imp. Trademark Weapon, and potentially a magic sword - simply give it a +1 to hit, or damage, or both.

grendel2175
Seasoned

#12 Postby grendel2175 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:22 pm

Tasers and armor...

Clint's got a good grasp of it with the armor bonus modifying the vigor roll. The prongs can still work through clothing and material, but sometimes the connection is not as good. Heavy winter clothing can block it all together. Never shot a taser at a guy in chainmail, or any other metal armor, but for that I would say metal would conduct the pulse quite well. (Side note: Our tasers will not conduct through water, but the bad guys don't usually know that)

Been shot near, not shot at (that I know of)... haven't been hit yet :)

Course I have been hit by mace, knee knockers, cs, errant elbows... The taser shouldn't count because I was moron enough to let them hit me with it without a fight.

Hope that helps.
Grendel

Snate56
Legendary

#13 Postby Snate56 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:38 pm

By water do you mean soaked clothes? I would think the taser would "short circuit" and not deliver a good jolt to the target. I would also think the same of chainmail. And since you really wear padding under plate armor, i would think the taser would'nt work at all.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

grendel2175
Seasoned

#14 Postby grendel2175 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:06 pm

By water I am referring the target standing in a pool. I was relating to a time I convinced a few ornery folks to get out of a pool by just sparking the taser and grinning.

Taser works just fine in the rain and on folks in wet clothes. However it won't conduct through a tub of water to a target. The prongs or the actuator have to be on the target.

The taser will not work well on plate mainly because the prongs won't make contact with flesh. Earlier I debated putting in a point about padding, but decided it was overboard given the rarity of the situation.
Grendel

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”