How many XP???

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

How many XP???

#1 Postby Aramus Daimorgul » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:57 pm

So what do you do -->

When do you give 3?

When do you give 2?

When do you give 1?

What is your average XP per session?
Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?"
- Bernard Shaw

Wiggy
Legendary

Re: How many XP???

#2 Postby Wiggy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:11 pm

Aramus Daimorgul wrote:So what do you do -->

When do you give 3?

When do you give 2?

When do you give 1?

What is your average XP per session?

I hand out XPs in accordance with the table on page 37 of SWEX.

I just look at what the group did or didn't achieve and compare the results. Generally the final session of any adventure is worth 3 XP, so long as the villain was defeated and no upsets occured along the way ("Yay, we saved the king, but unfortunately got his son killed"---is a victory with an upset :))

On average, I give out 2 XPs a session. Often the group borders a 2 or 3 XP reward, so I tend to even it out over two sessions, thus giving them a level up every other session.
Wiggy
Creative Director Triple Ace Games

Wendigo1870
Veteran

#3 Postby Wendigo1870 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:08 am

We cheat :razz: !
We do an advancement each session rather than XP. For various reasons this works out well for us all, there've been no complaints (mainly we don't play the same game often enough (average once a month), so there would be no real feeling of advancement if we didn't).
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

nonefornic
Veteran

#4 Postby nonefornic » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:51 am

Wendigo1870 wrote:We do an advancement each session rather than XP. For various reasons this works out well for us all, there've been no complaints (mainly we don't play the same game often enough (average once a month), so there would be no real feeling of advancement if we didn't).

Did the same thing in a short Deadlands campaign for a bunch of noobs who wanted to get the feel of the settign and system. Worked well. Had the thought of doing an Epic Trillogy (Star Wars esc) game where the characters jump entire ranks after a session... "what you're a Jedi Knight now?" "Its been five years Han, gee you're grumpy" "Yeah well, least I get work after this movie farm-boy"
No longer a luddite... I have a blog... After losing settings, rules and more in PC wipe after wipe its now home to my swag of RPG homebrewing... http://theniconomicon.blogspot.com/

Control
Seasoned

#5 Postby Control » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:30 am

When I ran Necessary Evil I decided I didn't want it to take forever to get to legendary so I gave 3 - 5 exp per session. On top of that I let the players roll unspent bennies for a chance to get even more exp. The end result was they were leveling up every session. I didn't like the rapid advancement and will probably use normal exp in my future campaigns. But the players loved leveling up every week. And I definitely agree that for mini campaigns or games run less frequently accelerated advancement can simulate long stretches of time passing between episodes. So once again to each his own and what ever is the most fun for your group is what I'd suggest. :)
Getting more savage all the time...

Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

#6 Postby Aramus Daimorgul » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:42 am

Wiggy wrote:On average, I give out 2 XPs a session. Often the group borders a 2 or 3 XP reward, so I tend to even it out over two sessions, thus giving them a level up every other session.

So, you never give out 1 XP? If you are averaging 2.5 per session, to get the characters to advance every 2 sessions, giving out 1 XP is a pretty big hurdle to recover from to maintain that average.

Is this right from your pov:
2 xp average session
3 xp above average session

1 xp not given or only used in extreme cases of short play time or the group accomplish nothing plot wise.
Last edited by Aramus Daimorgul on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?"

- Bernard Shaw

Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

#7 Postby Aramus Daimorgul » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:46 am

Control wrote:When I ran Necessary Evil I decided I didn't want it to take forever to get to legendary so I gave 3 - 5 exp per session.

How did you determine if they got 3, 4 or 5?

- Bernard Shaw

ron blessing
Heroic

#8 Postby ron blessing » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:55 am

I like shorter campaigns, so I've been giving 3 per session. So a non-productive session is worth 2 or, in extreme circumstances, 1.

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#9 Postby Cutter XXIII » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:56 am

I use the pg. 37 table, typically.

Two is my default. I give 1 XP in cases where failure/death/TPK/hijinks were more or less the result of player "error" (bad planning, dumb moves, impetuous acts). After a big, successful battle, a great victory, a problem solved by player ingenuity, etc. I give 3 XP.

When running Necessary Evil, I recommend planning for 20-23 "issues" and giving out 5 XP (and an Advance) after every session. To me, it really fits the "supers" vibe to do it that way.
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

Wiggy
Legendary

#10 Postby Wiggy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:36 pm

Aramus Daimorgul wrote:Is this right from your pov:
2 xp average session
3 xp above average session

1 xp not given or only used in extreme cases of short play time or the group accomplish nothing plot wise.

Yep, that's about how it works out for my group. It's a very rare day they screw up badly enough to warrant a single XP, but if the session is short they'll get 1 XP. We try to avoid short sessions, though.
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

DerFinsterling
Legendary

#11 Postby DerFinsterling » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:56 am

I started to hand out xp much more generously since we've been playing more rarely.
I didn't want to go through a campaign and after two years real life the character is seasoned.
Might fit to the number and complexity of adventures, but come on, we all want the characters to get up their higher!

So, in effect, I give:
1xp if they really didn't do anything. I actually give out 1xp to characters whose player's don't show up (but told me so beforehand). So they don't lag behind too much.

Then I follow the guidelines from SWEX, but hand out 2,3,4 xp instead of 1,2,3.

This needs some adjusting-to, of course. One of my regular players in my Evernight campaign is - at the start of the fourth act - already a Veteran. Granted, I ran them through a couple of adventures before we started the campaign, but still. I might need to tweak the encounters just a little bit.

Count Zero
Legendary

#12 Postby Count Zero » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:51 am

We tend to play shorter story arcs so 3xp per session is the norm. We also let people roll to convert bennies.
I'm not an adversarial GM. I am a facilitator of awesomeness. - Dr Rotwang

sulfurdown
Novice

#13 Postby sulfurdown » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:39 pm

I tend to be more heavy handed with encouraging non-stat based RP.

Players get 1xp for;
-Showing up, mentally and physically
-Accomplishing some plot point movement, either overall or character specific line.(i.e. a 'chapter')
-Stand-out gaming or at least not metagaming (brilliant ideas or RP, individual character based concept development)

So usually it would be 1-2 per session. I tend to draw it more from my days of Vampire games where you play the character for a while before you before advancing them, instead of spending half the time picking and learning new powrz. I'm a bigger fan of the advancements coming during logical downtime instead of the "Poof" you've got upgrades style (a la beginning of OotS).

zeth
Veteran

#14 Postby zeth » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:35 am

If the players do something truly heroic/self sacrificing that surprises me I give them 1 xp instantly instead of a benny. One example is when they gave almost their ENTIRE treasure to help a destroyed village recover and expected nothing in return. I'm talking like over a king's ransom from 50 F amount of treasure they gave up.

Tavis
Heroic

#15 Postby Tavis » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:13 am

We tend to play our Evernight game once a month, so usually I give out 3 XP, if the session's been successful, and 2 if they did not-so-well. 1 XP is reserved (unless they really screw up) for 'Sir not-appearing-in-this-session', should there be one, to account for what they were doing 'of-screen' (I'll usually allow them to give me one 'thing' they were trying to achieve in their 'down time' and give them a roll for it, rather than have them just sit in camp and do nothing if the player couldn't make it)
Currently Playing:

SWD: Savage Mystara (GM)

Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

#16 Postby Adam Baulderstone » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:19 pm

I always give two or three. They get three points if they hit some kind a benchmark in the story, or if it is just a really exciting session. It tends to alternate pretty evenly between the two.

I don't really like the idea of punishing a group with one. Most groups tend to have a session that is a little off from time to time. Maybe people are tired or distracted. It happens. Whatever the cause, I don't think it helps matters to tell the people that showed up to play in your game, that you are disappointed in them.

I don't factor role-playing into XP as they already get bennies for that.

joshuaslater
Seasoned

#17 Postby joshuaslater » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:33 am

Our group's been playing steady every Sunday for a while now, and two or three is the norm. It's enough forward momentum to keep our enthusiasm and slow enough that it doesn't feel like we're jumping too fast.

I don't think we've played a session where we got one XP. As with everything about this system, whatever is FFF is really key. Wanna run more powerful characters and campaigns? No problem. Find the formula that keeps your players coming back, keeps laughter and good times at the table, and remember FUN is the most important part of this.

Cheers.

shadd4d
Legendary
Location: Valparaiso, IN...I miss Deutschland, Chicago, Charlottesville.

#18 Postby shadd4d » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:49 pm

So far, we've had 2 sessions on a weekly basis and they've netted 3XP per session. I haven't had a session pop up yet, in which my players have totally screwed the pooch and deserved 1XP...but it's probably inevitable.

Don
Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”