The SAVAGE skill and a setting Idea.

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

JackAce
Legendary

#21 Postby JackAce » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:46 pm

blackwingedheaven wrote:I managed to find War Cry looking through Evernight, but not Wizards and Warriors.

You're right... it's not in there...

Strange... I thought it was. :oops:

Perhaps it was in the old version of W&W..? :-?
Please Click: ImageImageImage

Clint
Site Admin

#22 Postby Clint » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 pm

JackAce wrote:
blackwingedheaven wrote:I managed to find War Cry looking through Evernight, but not Wizards and Warriors.

You're right... it's not in there...

Strange... I thought it was. :oops:

Perhaps it was in the old version of W&W..? :-?

Nope, sorry, never had it. Probably just confused it with Evernight.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

supercOntra
Seasoned

#23 Postby supercOntra » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:27 am

I like these ideas, I'm working on something related where players are trolls and pagan creatures fighting the spread of christianity in Scandinavia during the middle ages.
"Eyes without life…sundered heads…piles of carcasses…these are pleasing words to me"
http://www.savageslaine.com

zeth
Veteran

#24 Postby zeth » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:09 am

It is funny how a whim of inspiration can snowball and grow like this. I am looking through 'barbarian' or 'stone age' material to get a feel for the setting. Should metal weapons exist as 'rare artifacts' the equivalent of magical/special weapons in fantasy or just skip them all together? Should those 'Evil invaders' be actual aliens or instead a culture inspired by ancient Greek/Rome cultures trying to wipe out the 'barbarian scourge' that is the players and their tribe?

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#25 Postby SlasherEpoch » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:53 am

zeth wrote:Should those 'Evil invaders' be actual aliens or instead a culture inspired by ancient Greek/Rome cultures trying to wipe out the 'barbarian scourge' that is the players and their tribe?

I thought of 300 when you mentioned this. In that movie, animals and foreigners are presented as monsters and demons because that's how the warriors would have told the story. I think it's perfectly okay, if a little conceptual, to say a homo sapien is this terrible sorcerer-creature, a bear is a monster that might be an avatar of the gods, and an elephant is a herald of the apocalypse. It means skewing the stats of these critters a little bit because that's how the cavemen would have seen them or told about them later.

It's possible things like werewolves and vampires get this same treatment; an unusually savage wolf might take on human aspect and a bloodthirsty feral caveman might easily have stats that seem more than human.

Please, anyone who thinks that made sense, feel free to back me up.

Gavinwulf
Seasoned

#26 Postby Gavinwulf » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Great thread!
I recommend taking a look at this great indie game to give you some ideas:

http://www.mysticages.com/bv/

zeth
Veteran

#27 Postby zeth » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:11 pm

Gavinwulf wrote:Great thread!
I recommend taking a look at this great indie game to give you some ideas:

http://www.mysticages.com/bv/

Damn, Almost as if they reached in my head and made the game before I thought of it. Well it looks like this setting is done then. Carry on everyone.

Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

#28 Postby Adam Baulderstone » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:02 pm

This thread is great. I've been toying with the idea of running a campaign centering on a pre-historic tribe in a Lovecraft/Howard style setting. After a period of brutal wilderness survival, they'll come upon the decadent civilization of the Serpent Men, to either be enslaved by it, or smash it to bring about the rise of Man in the world.

Between this and the Flint weapon rules in the Fantasy Gear Toolkit, a lot of my crunch work is done. Thank you.

zeth
Veteran

#29 Postby zeth » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:01 am

Adam Baulderstone wrote:This thread is great. I've been toying with the idea of running a campaign centering on a pre-historic tribe in a Lovecraft/Howard style setting. After a period of brutal wilderness survival, they'll come upon the decadent civilization of the Serpent Men, to either be enslaved by it, or smash it to bring about the rise of Man in the world.

Between this and the Flint weapon rules in the Fantasy Gear Toolkit, a lot of my crunch work is done. Thank you.

You are welcome.

CAM
Seasoned

#30 Postby CAM » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:55 am

This is a great idea for a setting

I would change the skill 'Savage' to 'Savagery' however, IMO it just seems to be more suitable but thats a matter of taste

I would lock in a few different damage values for weapons, perhaps using the values from SW2 instead (eg+1,+2, etc), and focus more on weapon aspects such as reach, parry, etc as originally suggested.

The idea of a character's core savagery being the main brunt of damage is really brutal and quite cool - perhaps it could be useful in other settings if the Fighting skill was broken down into two skills: Fighting (Savagery) could cover this idea, whereas Fighting (Finesse) could cover the current rules - just food for thought, no firm idea if this will work or not

I'm not sure if I would bring in Powers, I think perhaps charlatans could use trickery or knowledges to achieve things people consider to be magic. The idea of Totemic Edges also has merits (using the Wildling Animal Edges) and could add much to the flavour.

All in all, these ideas for a stone age setting would be great and I would love to see someone flesh it out more

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”