Opinions needed for a new gizmo

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

James Butler Hickok
Novice

Opinions needed for a new gizmo

#1 Postby James Butler Hickok » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:04 am

Ok, so my main player is working on his scientists gizmo. he likes to be as oddball about it as possible since the mad-sci is a child.

Next were gonna work on a cotton candy gun. :lol:

But right now, we are still trying to decide on the malfunctions for the "Steampowered card shuffler and automatic dealer"

Now the idea of the card shuffler is well within the bounds of normal tech at this point in time, add alittle collegium automaton technology for some hand acuators to deal the cards... and you got an automatic card slinging machine that never cheats or gets to tired to toss cards. automaton directive plates allow you to change the game and the number of players.

Now the issue we are having, is the malfunction table. we dont know how far is to far on the major and catastrophic malfunctions.

Our initial thoughts were this.

Minor:
The machine goes haywire, spitting cards 4' into the air... 52 pick up anyone?

Major: the dealer goes rabid and whips a half dozen cards at one or more players 1D4 damage a card. (Ever see Mythbusters? playing cards can hurt you)

Catastrophic: the dealer goes full auto, throwing every card in the deck in the direction of each of it's preset player positions, split the number of flying cards evenly among the positions occupied, or precieved as occupied by the control settings. 1D4+2 per card.

Now i realise that is a dice rolling nightmare. maybe we'll go with 1 card per success and raise on the dealers throwing skill... 4D12 for it's throwing:cards by the way, and just base the damage off the number of raises scored.

what do you all think?

oddtail
Seasoned

#2 Postby oddtail » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:29 am

I'd make it simpler, a bit. And I'd reduce the damage - a playing card can hurt you, but it can't hurt you BADLY, and wounds are more than just little cuts. Those are handled by Wind. I mean, come on, 5 cards would mean 5d4 damage, that's more than from a Peacemaker bullet.

I'd go as follows:

Major: the machine chucks all cards at the positions where the players are sitting. Everyone at the poker table suffers 2d6 Wind.
Catastrophe: the machine explodes, chucking cogwheels and scraps of metal all over the place. Treat this as an explosion dealing 2d10 damage, with a Burst Radius of 1.
Can't think of anything smart/funny right now, sorry.

Snate56
Legendary

#3 Postby Snate56 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:16 pm

I would change the Major malfunction to Catastrophic and have the machine just shred the deck for Major.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

James Butler Hickok
Novice

#4 Postby James Butler Hickok » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:55 am

Acually cards can hurt you BADLY, ever watch the episode of mythbusters where they made a card thrower? you can bury a regular playing card almost 1/2inch into into human flesh.

But your right, it is alittle excessive. And i do like your suggestion

So i will talk to the mad-sci and get his opinion on your suggestions. he is my senior gamer so i afford him the luxury of getting his opinion on this things heard before a final decision.

I think i will make a "Hit in the eye" roll for a noggin location hit. and if the eye is hit, the 2d6 does wound rather then wind.

oddtail
Seasoned

#5 Postby oddtail » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:41 am

James Butler Hickok wrote:Acually cards can hurt you BADLY, ever watch the episode of mythbusters where they made a card thrower? you can bury a regular playing card almost 1/2inch into into human flesh.

When I said "badly", I meant "getting stabbed/shot etc.". Remember that getting stabbed with a knife by an average person is only one wound, and most revolvers rarely deal more than one wound (Peacemakers and the like deal two on average).

Which seems to indicate that a "wound" in Deadlands is a big deal.
Can't think of anything smart/funny right now, sorry.

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#6 Postby SlasherEpoch » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:50 am

I like the idea of the wind damage.

But think outside the box - a catastophe for a machine that flawlessly deals cards might mean that it deals six cards to one player, with two of them exactly on top of each other. Now, that's not so bad until some names like "cheater" begin to fly around...

Snate56
Legendary

#7 Postby Snate56 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:41 pm

I get visions of this thing getting possessed, like that pressing machine in the Stephen King story... :twisted:

"Hi, I'm Lily, What can I get for you fine gentlemen tonight?"
"Oooo! That's a cute little thang!, What does it d.. OW! Durn! Looks like I've cut my finger..."

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

James Butler Hickok
Novice

#8 Postby James Butler Hickok » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:01 pm

i acually like that idea alot Slasher, i could see how that would be a major problem, i think that will be the minor malfunction

Major malfunction, will be to throw a card or two at someone. couple dice of wind, unless it hits the eye

Catastrophic will be to blow up and shower parts in a blast rad 1

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#9 Postby SlasherEpoch » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:44 am

James Butler Hickok wrote:Catastrophic will be to blow up and shower parts in a blast rad 1

Oooh, and scatters the poker chips...

James Butler Hickok
Novice

#10 Postby James Butler Hickok » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:06 am

You are just full of good ideas Slash, my player's eyes lit right up when i suggested the extra card going to one player and then him getting caught with it.

Lord Skudley
Heroic

Re: Opinions needed for a new gizmo

#11 Postby Lord Skudley » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:19 pm

James Butler Hickok wrote: But right now, we are still trying to decide on the malfunctions for the "Steampowered card shuffler and automatic dealer"

OMG!!!! Is your player's name "Chris"???
The first Deadlands game I ran my Mad Scientist wanted to make one of those!!!
Proud co-creator of the 1,000+ Random Encounter Generator found here!

James Butler Hickok
Novice

#12 Postby James Butler Hickok » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:51 am

No acually his name is Clint, and no... he isnt our illustrious rules lawyer.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”