off hand magic

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ciary
Novice

off hand magic

#1 Postby ciary » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:17 am

i made a char with a good fighting-skill and arcane bg(miracles).
in combat, i tried to kill someone with my longsword (in my main hand) and i tried casting 'burst' (with my off hand).
what penalties do i get on the faith-roll?
1) -2, only Multi action penalty
2) -4, multi action penalty and off hand penalty

Clint
Site Admin

Re: off hand magic

#2 Postby Clint » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:39 am

Well, that's really up to the setting rules and trappings for how magic is cast; the core rules don't have any requirement that casters must use their hands or speak or anything other than make their Arcane Skill roll in order to activate a power.

If the GM decides that hands are needed to cast, then the decision has to be made whether it is one hand or both and so on.

But generally, the off-hand penalty applies to any action attempted with the off-hand, not just attack rolls. A character who attempts to pick a lock with their off-hand suffers the -2 penalty as well, so if an Arcane Skill requires the use of a hand, then unless the GM says otherwise, the basic rules would apply, including the off-hand penalty to casting.

Hope that helps.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”