The Savage Worlds Official (kinda) Min / Maxxer Thread

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Do you Min / Max ?

Yep, proudly
25%
not unless it fits my character concept (or some other justification)
58%
Nope never. Period
17%

Total votes: 99

Judge Holden
Seasoned

The Savage Worlds Official (kinda) Min / Maxxer Thread

#1 Postby Judge Holden » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:55 am

We were discussing last night just how awesome our well oiled combat machine of an RPG group has become. Which got me to thinking, the Savage Worlds combat survival sheet is an excellent resource for starting savages, but what about those of us who have been at it awhile?

Obviously Savage Worlds rules are not as prone to rules lawyerly abuse (no bag of rats + improved smiting d20 type infinite attacks as far as I know of) but there are some things that you only realise after a couple hundred combats and I would love to share knowledge and soak some up as well.

Its not something to be ashamed of its all part of the learning curve.
I once shot a man just to watch him die... but then I got distracted and missed it.

- Dave Foley

Judge Holden
Seasoned

#2 Postby Judge Holden » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:59 am

Deflection as an offensive spell:

If your target team mate already has an alright Parry and he doesn't really need the added bonuses he can basically have a 'free' Wild attack for as long as you have Deflection going on him. By 'free' I mean that his parry is at least being boosted +2 (+4 with a raise) so he can Wild Attack with his Parry at no worse than it was before the spell.

Deflection + Wild Attack = +2 to hit and damage for free, and all the other bonuses that go with Deflection
I once shot a man just to watch him die... but then I got distracted and missed it.

- Dave Foley

Pet Rock
Novice

#3 Postby Pet Rock » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:30 pm

Having the social powerful character trick a tough opponent use 'Trick' on the tough baddie, Shaking him, followed by a damage dealer following up is a good way to start laying on wounds.

It's also pretty a pretty well known tactic.
"Happiness is a belt fed weapon."

JackAce
Legendary

#4 Postby JackAce » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Pet Rock wrote:Having the social powerful character trick a tough opponent use 'Trick' on the tough baddie, Shaking him, followed by a damage dealer following up is a good way to start laying on wounds.

I wouldn't call that min/maxing.

It's one of the big features of SW, which allows socially oriented characters to be of actual use during a combat.
Please Click: ImageImageImage

Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

#5 Postby Noshrok Grimskull » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:58 pm

Combining a good Shooting skill with Two-Fisted, Ambidextrous, Improved Trademark Weapon, Marksman and a pistol like the Heckler & Koch VP70M (which is capable of firing three-round bursts).

You get to fire two 3RBs each action at a total of +6 to the roll (and +2 to damage) if you remain stationary. This changes to +2 to hit and +6 damage for called shots to the head.

And if you add Deadshot and a Joker... :jack:
"If you think I'm crazy, you should see the people I'm locked up with." - Steamdriven

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)

Judge Holden
Seasoned

#6 Postby Judge Holden » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:12 pm

JackAce wrote:
Pet Rock wrote:Having the social powerful character trick a tough opponent use 'Trick' on the tough baddie, Shaking him, followed by a damage dealer following up is a good way to start laying on wounds.

I wouldn't call that min/maxing.

It's one of the big features of SW, which allows socially oriented characters to be of actual use during a combat.

I think the advanced part of this suggestion is knowing your timing. For example, your team mate is about to attack and he has been only able to shake the enemies so far this combat. You as the social powerful character say to your team mate "wait! let me see if I can trick him first!" knowing that if you can shake him your team mates attack will finally drop someone. So team mate goes on hold, you try your thing and then he follows up for hopefully a nice kill assist

- Dave Foley

Clint
Site Admin

#7 Postby Clint » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:Combining a good Shooting skill with Two-Fisted, Ambidextrous, Improved Trademark Weapon, Marksman and a pistol like the Heckler & Koch VP70M (which is capable of firing three-round bursts).

You get to fire two 3RBs each action at a total of +6 to the roll (and +2 to damage) if you remain stationary. This changes to +2 to hit and +6 damage for called shots to the head.

Yeah, sure, if you fire at one target within 12" and have taken 7 Edges. :o
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

JackAce
Legendary

#8 Postby JackAce » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:Combining a good Shooting skill with Two-Fisted, Ambidextrous, Improved Trademark Weapon, Marksman and a pistol like the Heckler & Koch VP70M (which is capable of firing three-round bursts).

To use two pistols, you'll need to take Improved Trademark Weapon twice!

So the whole combination (including Deadshot) consumes:

• One Background Edge
• Three regular Novice Edges
• Two Seasoned Edges
• Two Veteran Edges
• Two Attribute Points
• Four Skill Points
• Approximately $600-1,000 worth of gear (If you can get that kind of pistol at all!)

Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

#9 Postby Noshrok Grimskull » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Uhm...
We're talking min/maxing here, so the number of points and edges spent shouldn't concern us too much, right? It's about making a character that excels at something (while most certainly neglecting other stuff).

So, here's another:

Half-Folk character with the Young hindrance and the Luck and Great Luck Edges = 7 Bennies at the start of each session!! :o
"If you think I'm crazy, you should see the people I'm locked up with." - Steamdriven

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)

dentris
Veteran

#10 Postby dentris » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:01 pm

My all time favorite remains the Deadshot, Mighty Blow or Power Surge with te Improved Level Headed and Quick Edges

4 times more chance of having a Joker...
But the Voice consoles me and it says: "Keep your dreams;
Wise men do not have such beautiful ones as fools!"
--Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal, 1857, Translated by William Aggeler, 1954

Judge Holden
Seasoned

#11 Postby Judge Holden » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:03 pm

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:Uhm...
We're talking min/maxing here, so the number of points and edges spent shouldn't concern us too much, right? It's about making a character that excels at something (while most certainly neglecting other stuff).

So, here's another:

Half-Folk character with the Young hindrance and the Luck and Great Luck Edges = 7 Bennies at the start of each session!! :o

... and if you give him Command it bumps that final figure up to 8 ;)

the old adage applies here that "if a job is worth doing, its worth doing well"

- Dave Foley

AFDia
Veteran

#12 Postby AFDia » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:24 pm

Judge Holden wrote:... and if you give him Command it bumps that final figure up to 8 ;)

If you are talking about "Natural Leader", in SWEX it doesn't give an extra bennie anymore. ;)

@dentris: If you already have Improved Level Headed, Quick will not help much (only if you draw 3 cards < 5)

About min/maxing:

I think a very good tactic is to get Speed Loader (DLR Edge) + a Double Barrel Shotgun.
You will get +2 Shooting for using a Shotgun and you can shoot both barrels every round!

If your GM allows attacking with a Double Barrel Shotgun in each hand, and you have Two-Fisted and Ambidextrous, you can deal out 4x3d6 dmg (even more with a raise or called shot) every round. (although I'm not sure how Speed Loader works if I try to reload 2 weapons in 1 turn)

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#13 Postby SlasherEpoch » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Young Half Folk + Great Luck + Common Bond + Natural Leader + Inspire + Hold the Line!

That's a party that takes a lickin' and somehow keeps tickin' once the smoke has cleared.

And Noshrock is right: This is about flatly abusing the system, not debating its finer points.

JackAce
Legendary

#14 Postby JackAce » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Talking of DL:R:

Quick-Draw, Speed-Load, Improved Hip-Shooting & Single-Actiion Revolver.

1. Round: Draw and fire 6 shots without penalty.

2. Round: Reload and fire 6 shots without penalty.

etc.

the_redstar_swl
Seasoned

#15 Postby the_redstar_swl » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:04 pm

Wouldn't work, The VP70 can only fire three round bursts if the shoulder stock is attached.

Mort
Heroic

#16 Postby Mort » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:04 pm

First strike & improved first strike - anything that basically makes you immune to charges is totally a plus
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#17 Postby SlasherEpoch » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:16 am

the_redstar_swl wrote:Wouldn't work, The VP70 can only fire three round bursts if the shoulder stock is attached.

A true min-maxer uses twin VP70s with shoulder stocks.

No, really. Their order of monks is trained to do that.

kaltorak
Veteran

#18 Postby kaltorak » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:34 am

These aren't super combat builds, but can be interesting...

Verrrry Nice Girl
Charisma + Very Attractive + Persuasion d12
:)

Verrry Bad Girl
Dirty Fighter + Acrobat + Agility d10+
:(

Deck Runner Guy
Quick, Improved Levelheaded, 1 of those never used Joker Hedges...
8)

JackAce
Legendary

#19 Postby JackAce » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:19 am

SlasherEpoch wrote:
the_redstar_swl wrote:Wouldn't work, The VP70 can only fire three round bursts if the shoulder stock is attached.

A true min-maxer uses twin VP70s with shoulder stocks.

No, really. Their order of monks is trained to do that.

Wouldn't even need that.

The shoulder stock is only required because it holds the mechanics necessary to fire bursts. But the burst-unit isn't really all that big. It could be removed from the shoulder stock and mounted directly onto the gun.

Makes the gun a bit clunkier and probably looks kinda strange, but who cares?

Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

#20 Postby Noshrok Grimskull » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:04 am

Besides, I only listed the VP70M as an example because I know it can go 3RB. But I'm sure there are at least a couple of other pistol-sized guns out there that can go 3RB.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”