For Sci-Fi: Nano AB or no?

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

AB: Nanotech?

Yes
94%
No
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes: 17

Emiricol
Veteran

#21 Postby Emiricol » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:20 pm

Clint wrote:I'm a bit confused on the powers. Are they designed from scratch or just trappings of the existing powers (Environmental Protection and Darksight from the Fantasy Toolkit)? It's if they are the latter, that I'm wondering about why some changes were made.

The new powers are well, new. EP doesn't fit due to it being good in vacuum, providing pressure, etc., so I made something that does fit. I didn't think to look in the Fantasy TK.

The "Core Book Powers" are trappings on existing powers.

-Emiricol

Bill
Legendary

#22 Postby Bill » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:42 pm

JackAce wrote:
Emiricol wrote:4+= nanites effect both the caster and target (if the result would have been success) with the effect. If the caster was the target then the caster is hit with a raise on the effect.

:1icon_hm: Any power that the caster would use on himself would be beneficial to him in some way.

So a Backlash would have a 50% chance of making the result better!

The same is true for beneficial powers used on an ally, because with a Backlash/4+, both the target and the caster would gain the benefit.

When I suggested this it was deliberate. I looked at the power and it was much like miracles which did not carry any backlash. Thus I designed a "backlash" that was half bad and half good. I probably should have made that clear.
The More I Learn, The Less I Know

siefertma
Seasoned

#23 Postby siefertma » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:27 pm

If you want a good example of using nanotech as magic, look up Centauri Knights and their Fog Witches.
Be Aggressive,
Mark A. Siefert

Visit No School Like The Old School: http://noschoololdschoolgames.blogspot.com/

The One
Heroic

#24 Postby The One » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:56 pm

All in all, that's a pretty solid writeup, I may borrow it for a setting I'm writing that includes something akin to B5's Technomancer's

One thing I'd suggest is considering Burst power, imagine the nanites cooking up a chemical cocktail that's promptly expelled as a high powered sneeze or vomit attack. It'd go a long way to explain why a lot of people are disgusted with nanite users :)
Life: Past trends are not an indication of future performance

Emiricol
Veteran

#25 Postby Emiricol » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:52 pm

Interesting idea, T.O., thanks

Lustvig
Novice

Nanites

#26 Postby Lustvig » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:19 am

For another system, take a look at my blog under Fun with Nanotech. It is a conversion of the Gamma World 6th edition rules on personal nano which you may find useful...

http://jamiesonfactors.blogspot.com/search/label/gamma%20world

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”