Tactical combat with hex grid?

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Do you use an hex grid in your miniature's combat?

Yes, I use an hex grid.
73%
No, I use an hex free terrain and tape misurations.
27%

Total votes: 30

kaltorak
Veteran

Tactical combat with hex grid?

#1 Postby kaltorak » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:04 am

I am a big fan of a tactical, miniature rich way of play.

I think that SW works better in this manner.

But, I ever use an hex map.

Anyone uses a more "wargamer" approach? No hex grid but an hex free terrain and tape misurations?

Just curious

Magnus
Veteran

#2 Postby Magnus » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:56 am

I rarely use a hex-grid, unless it is a pre-made map. I prefer the free measurement and it allows for a quick change of scale between inches and centimetres (we usually begins with inches, but as the table gets more crowded with stuff during the evening we can start using cm).
Hex-free terrain for me!

Magnus

Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

#3 Postby Noshrok Grimskull » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:14 am

We also use hex-free terrain. Sometimes we even use terrain-less terrain. :o
Wooden gaming tokens and dice become the PCs and NPCs, and anything that is at hand at the moment (rulebooks, soda bottles, cell phones, dice cups, chocolate bars, etc.) can become terrain as needed. Doesn't necessarily look good, but it gets the point across and is FFF!
"If you think I'm crazy, you should see the people I'm locked up with." - Steamdriven

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)

The Angle
Veteran

#4 Postby The Angle » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:54 am

I have tons of dungeon tiles and tactical maps that I use when they fit the situation, but most of the time, I set things up on a 2x2 square of felt and use popsicle sticks to measure movement.

Steve
"When choosing between two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried before." -- Mae West

Wiggy
Legendary

#5 Postby Wiggy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:31 am

I'm like the Angle--sometimes I use mapsheets and dungeon tiles, other times we just use a table and tape measure. It all depends what I have to hand and what I need :)

Wiggy
Wiggy
Creative Director Triple Ace Games

Tuesday
Heroic

#6 Postby Tuesday » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:27 pm

I generally don't even use the tape measure. It's a table, with various objects and tokens placed for obstacles and landmarks, and we estimate distances by eye.

Sometimes w'll pull out a grid or a rollable wet-erase hex-map that we have, and just count hexes, depending on the situation.

Greg
Novice

#7 Postby Greg » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:50 pm

We never use hexes. As a veteran gamer (of some 30 years) I've always found hexes too bizarre, too counter-intuitive. When I get up to move across the room, I don't zig-zag back and forth and I don't make turns in 60 degree increments. Why should my characters? It's just not good.
Besides, too much attention to the movement/range/terrain, and it ceases being a roleplaying game and becomes a miniatures game. Also not good.

Anyway, I bought a big pad from Office Max with 1" squares on it. It's like 30" X 30" or something. We use the squares to draw the buildings/etc. but use rulers for movement. The squares are just there to give you "distance at a glance" and make it easier to quick-draw items on the map.

Mike McCall
Veteran

#8 Postby Mike McCall » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:24 pm

When I have pre-designed terrain, I work without measurements of any kind. But most of the time, I use my battlemat, which has hexes (since I prefer them to squares).
Mike McCall (formerly NotSoSavage)
The Gypsy's Lair - House Rules and Fan Conversions: http://vagabond.sasktelwebsite.net

Patrick
Veteran

#9 Postby Patrick » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:53 pm

For small stuff I use a hex mat, for big stuff I use the tape measure. When Weird War II two come out I'll probably break out the ping pong table and use a tape measure for sure. Tank fights at less than fifty meters is like having a knife fight in a phone booth.

Oh, and one inch equals two meters in my games. The imperial system drives me nuts. It will be glorious day indeed when America gives it up.
Last edited by Patrick on Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red-24
Seasoned

#10 Postby Red-24 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:18 pm

I purchased a hex battlemat back in 1982 and later got a gift of a square grid battlemat around 1990. Although I prefer the hex for most games, and prefer free measuring for Savage Worlds, I always seem to have the square grid mat out for gaming. I like to have something to draw terrain on, and the squares do make it easier to draw buildings.

I like the suggestion of using the mat to draw on, then ignoring the sqares and just measuring. I may try that out.

As an aside, my well used hex mat still has a faint helicoptier crash scene will a small fire from a Traveller game and the outline of Dr. Destroyer's secret island base from a Champions game. Both of these ran in the early-mid 80's and some fool pulled a permanent marker out.
Jon "Red-24" Woodland
http://members.shaw.ca/red-24
"You've taken your first step into a larger world" - Old Kenobi

Tuesday
Heroic

#11 Postby Tuesday » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:48 pm

We never use hexes. As a veteran gamer (of some 30 years) I've always found hexes too bizarre, too counter-intuitive. When I get up to move across the room, I don't zig-zag back and forth and I don't make turns in 60 degree increments. Why should my characters? It's just not good.

I always just viewed hexes as a handy abstract way of counting distances without the questions[1] that squares tend to raise - outside of Battletech, where facing and the nature of hexes is really important, I don't recall ever actually caring about facings to that degree.

[1]: simple questions, I admit, but they're things like "does going diagonally take just one move, or two?"

I tend to just count a single move in any of the 8 cardinal directions as a single move, and be done with it, even if it does mean that people are faster on the diagonals. If I'm using a grid, though, I find it *really* annoying to try to place people outside it, on the lines, and the other kind of things you get when you use a tape measure and go at an angle to the grid.

pineappleleader
Seasoned

#12 Postby pineappleleader » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:49 pm

Patrick wrote:Oh, and one inch equals two meters in my games. The imperial system drives me nuts. It will be glorious day indeed when America gives it up.

NEVER! I use Good Old American Inches, Yards, Miles, etc. Time is based on 12 not 10, so distances vs. time never come out correctly if the metric system is used. You always end up with an odd number. (such as: Classic Traveller ship maps use a 1 1/2 inch square grid. This makes it a pain to figure distances quickly.).

I usually play on a 1 inch square grid sheet covered with plexiglass and write on the plexiglass with colored temporary markers. I count all moves as one square, even if diagonal.

Sometimes I play on a looted hex map from Hero or GURPS. No problems.

I usually count squares or hexes for movement, but measure for shooting and throwing.

I rarely use vehicles on the map, but would probably measure everything as distances for movement and vehicle weapons are so great. ( too many squares to count).
Pineappleleader

Possibly the Most Dangerous Pineapple in the Universe. Possibly Not.

Patrick
Veteran

#13 Postby Patrick » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:15 pm

pineappleleader wrote:
Patrick wrote:Oh, and one inch equals two meters in my games. The imperial system drives me nuts. It will be glorious day indeed when America gives it up.

NEVER! I use Good Old American Inches, Yards, Miles, etc. Time is based on 12 not 10, so distances vs. time never come out correctly if the metric system is used. You always end up with an odd number. (such as: Classic Traveller ship maps use a 1 1/2 inch square grid. This makes it a pain to figure distances quickly.).

What does time have to do with the price of grapefruits? :lol:

Two meters is close enough to six feet so as not to be a problem. Besides it’s easier to mentally picture metric distances. A hundred meters is like a football field (American football... I have no idea how long a soccer field is) and a kilometer is like 10 football fields. Picturing a mile is a little wonkier... "Well it's five thousand plus feet..."

Though as far as speed is concerned I think in miles, but I suspect that's because I've only driven in the States and have never had a reason to think metric while on the freeway.

Tuesday
Heroic

#14 Postby Tuesday » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:41 pm

Good Old American Inches,

Yeah, which you share with BURMA and LIBERIA and nobody else on the planet, because everyone else moved to a civilised system when they realised they wanted to be civilised countries.

That being said, crossing into the states always makes me do a double-take the first time I see a speed limit sign. 35? 40? 50? I can WALK faster than that.

marshal kt
Legendary

#15 Postby marshal kt » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:19 am

it depends on the players and scenario. most of the one shots i don't use anything but a verbal description, some minis and thats about it.
for more drawn out 'dungeons' and the like, i use a battle mat. i have it, so i might as well use it.
i've played 40k and whfp, so much that terrain is a pia.
"I'm Hotep"

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#16 Postby Sitting Duck » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:22 am

Tuesday wrote:That being said, crossing into the states always makes me do a double-take the first time I see a speed limit sign. 35? 40? 50? I can WALK faster than that.

Reminds me of one of the Experts segments from The Red Green Show with Red, Harold, and American expatriate Dougie Franklin. Harold was reading a letting from an American asking about differences there were to the traffic rules in Canada as compared to the States. Dougie starts off by stating that the speed limits are completely different and you can go a hundred miles per hour. Harold then points out that it's actually kilometers per hour and the speed limit signs are clearly marked kmph. Dougie responds by saying he always thoughts that was Kanadian Miles Per Hour.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Wiggy
Legendary

#17 Postby Wiggy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:26 am

Tuesday wrote:
Good Old American Inches,

Yeah, which you share with BURMA and LIBERIA and nobody else on the planet, because everyone else moved to a civilised system when they realised they wanted to be civilised countries.

That being said, crossing into the states always makes me do a double-take the first time I see a speed limit sign. 35? 40? 50? I can WALK faster than that.

I still refer to things in inches and feet and miles per hour. I do draw the line at perches, rods, and furlongs , though.

Wiggy
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

Greg
Novice

#18 Postby Greg » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:11 am

My car speedometer is in Furlongs per Fortnight. Makes it more challenging to drive. I just do the math in my head - 1 mph is exactly 2688 fpf.

Anyway, I never understood what was so hard about using squares. You can either count every other diagonal move as 2 (1,2,1,2,etc.) or just use a ruler/tape measure. Hell, even use a $1 bill (six inches).
It just made drawing so much easier and I HATED the way hexes wouldn't let you move in a natural manner and, unless you happened to be moving exactly away from one of the faces of a hex, you couldn't easily guess the distance.

Tuesday
Heroic

#19 Postby Tuesday » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:24 pm

I like attoparsecs per microfortnight, personally. It's a very useful unit. Pi of them is 1 fps, to two or three significant digits.

Just like pi seconds is a nanocentury.

pineappleleader
Seasoned

#20 Postby pineappleleader » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:35 pm

Good Lord! I've created a monster. :smile:

I thought this thread was about "Do you use a grid or just measure?".
Pineappleleader

Possibly the Most Dangerous Pineapple in the Universe. Possibly Not.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”