Some Pirates of the Spanish Main questions

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

So these questions and answers don't disappear...

We need a poll...
1
20%
...with two options.
4
80%
 
Total votes: 5

Message
Author
User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19745
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

#41 Postby Clint » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:52 am

Blackheart wrote:I have another question regarding the rules, being about Wild Card trait rolls and modifiers.

If I have a modifer to my trait rolls, does this affect the Wild Die as well as the trait die? For instance, one of my players have d8 in agility and the Acrobat edge (+2 to agility tricks). When he performs an agility trick, does he:

Roll d8+2 and d6+2, and then pick the best result, or...

Does he roll d8+2 and a single d6 and pick the best result?


Page 71: "Wild Dice are rolled just like the Trait Dice, are subject to the same modifiers, and can Ace as well (see below)."

So all you have to do is roll both dice, determine which one gets the higher result, and then apply all the modifiers.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

User avatar
deadlander
Seasoned
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:30 pm
Location: britain

#42 Postby deadlander » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:53 am

he adds 2 to whichever die rolled the highest.

Blackheart
Seasoned
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:52 am
Location: Sweden

#43 Postby Blackheart » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:17 am

Clint wrote:
Blackheart wrote:I have another question regarding the rules, being about Wild Card trait rolls and modifiers.

If I have a modifer to my trait rolls, does this affect the Wild Die as well as the trait die? For instance, one of my players have d8 in agility and the Acrobat edge (+2 to agility tricks). When he performs an agility trick, does he:

Roll d8+2 and d6+2, and then pick the best result, or...

Does he roll d8+2 and a single d6 and pick the best result?


Page 71: "Wild Dice are rolled just like the Trait Dice, are subject to the same modifiers, and can Ace as well (see below)."

So all you have to do is roll both dice, determine which one gets the higher result, and then apply all the modifiers.


I almost suspected that. Heck Clint, refering to the pages and words you already have right in front of you makes ya feel kinda dumb. :smile:
Thanks for the help!

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19745
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

#44 Postby Clint » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:17 pm

Blackheart wrote:I almost suspected that. Heck Clint, refering to the pages and words you already have right in front of you makes ya feel kinda dumb. :smile:
Thanks for the help!


Eh, it happens all the time. SW is such an easy system that one rule can be explained in a single sentence (or even part of a sentence). It can take a bit to get used to compared to systems where any rule might take a whole paragraph to explain. ;)

I just point out the page number to show it is in the book, and where to look for the answer if anyone else wants to know.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager



www.peginc.com

Wolfson
Seasoned
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:33 pm
Location: In front of my computer, madly typing...
Contact:

#45 Postby Wolfson » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:25 pm

daddystabz wrote:Does anyone know right off which rolls get cumulative rolls and which get only the first Raise? I'll try to investigate also. I just want to make sure I'm right.


While this isn't an 'official' method, I tend to layer Streetwise, Investigation, Knowledge and (sometimes) Notice rolls in my notes. That way, a player may get general things with a success, a little more with a raise, and even more stuff with multiple raises.

Arrr!
Curtis and Sarah Lyon
- Savage Mojo Line Developers
- Freelance Writers and Editors
Like us on Facebook!

User avatar
MountZionRyan
Seasoned
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

#46 Postby MountZionRyan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Wolfson wrote:While this isn't an 'official' method, I tend to layer Streetwise, Investigation, Knowledge and (sometimes) Notice rolls in my notes. That way, a player may get general things with a success, a little more with a raise, and even more stuff with multiple raises.
Arrr!


I do the same. I've also rewarded a super notice roll (say 3+ raises) with uncanny insight about the situation.
Roll For News a podcast about what's new and noteworthy in Tabletop RPGs

User avatar
Talahar
Veteran
Posts: 798
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Germany

#47 Postby Talahar » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:12 pm

MountZionRyan wrote:
Wolfson wrote:While this isn't an 'official' method, I tend to layer Streetwise, Investigation, Knowledge and (sometimes) Notice rolls in my notes. That way, a player may get general things with a success, a little more with a raise, and even more stuff with multiple raises.
Arrr!


I do the same. I've also rewarded a super notice roll (say 3+ raises) with uncanny insight about the situation.

thats a spur-of-the-moment kinda thing with me...
sometimes i do it, sometimes i dont....
(boils mostly down to if i even have the info ready ;) )
but yeah, since my players don't stop rolling after the first raise (no matter what...) *head hits table at 240mph* *repeatedly*
i tend to give them a little extra when they ace-on-a-string...
"oooh my attack roll was a 26 with d4!" - "great, that's one raise... you still know their toughness is 4, right? dammit!"

but oh well, if they must, they must... as long as they remember to bribe the GM with beer and/or chips...
~it's a slow death, oh my, spread your evil wings and fly!~

User avatar
daddystabz
Seasoned
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Columbus, OH USA

#48 Postby daddystabz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:30 pm

Another question that has popped into my mind.

I noticed on some characters that I've seen posted on the web that characters can get a + mod to some of their traits.

For instance: I saw a write-up/conversion posted on the web for Spider-Man in which the author listed his Strength at d12+6. I had not seen anything about any instances where you can have a number added to your Trait scrore like that. Is this simply from Edges the character has or is there some core game mechanic I'm not privy to as yet?

Thanks!

User avatar
JackAce
Legendary
Posts: 3416
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:37 pm
Location: 53°04'N 8°53'E

#49 Postby JackAce » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:00 pm

daddystabz wrote:Another question that has popped into my mind.

I noticed on some characters that I've seen posted on the web that characters can get a + mod to some of their traits.

For instance: I saw a write-up/conversion posted on the web for Spider-Man in which the author listed his Strength at d12+6. I had not seen anything about any instances where you can have a number added to your Trait scrore like that. Is this simply from Edges the character has or is there some core game mechanic I'm not privy to as yet?

Thanks!
In the case of Spider-Man it's definitely part of the Superpowers rules from Necessary Evil.

In any other (non-Super) case, permanent flat bonusses to Trait rolls should only occur resulting from Edges.
Please Click: ImageImageImage

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19745
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

#50 Postby Clint » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:03 pm

daddystabz wrote:Another question that has popped into my mind.

I noticed on some characters that I've seen posted on the web that characters can get a + mod to some of their traits.

For instance: I saw a write-up/conversion posted on the web for Spider-Man in which the author listed his Strength at d12+6. I had not seen anything about any instances where you can have a number added to your Trait scrore like that. Is this simply from Edges the character has or is there some core game mechanic I'm not privy to as yet?


Well, there are two issues here.

1. Super characters are typically built using the superpower rules from the Savage Worlds setting book, Necessary Evil, which does things differently from the core rules. That's how a d12+6 Strength is possible.

2. There are lots of ways via Edges in the normal rules to get a bonus added to a Trait. For instance, Alertness adds +2 to Notice which could be listed as d8+2. Or Scholar that adds +2 to two Knowledge skills.

In addition, there are the Legendary Rank Edges, Professional and Expert, that allow a character to increase a d12 Trait to d12+1 and d12+2 respectively.

So there are ways to get a bonus to a Trait in the core rules, but not in the same way or usually to the same extent of that example.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager



www.peginc.com

User avatar
daddystabz
Seasoned
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Columbus, OH USA

#51 Postby daddystabz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:07 pm

That was exactly my guess. My first introduction to the Savage Worlds rules was from the Pirates of the Spanish Main book. I now since have also purchased the Rippers and Deadlands Reloaded books. I have Necessary Evil ordered and am waiting for it to arrive. When it does arrive I will likely learn a lot more about this.

I really want to convert a TON of Marvel characters to the Savage Worlds system and convert the old Marvel RPG over. I couldn't find anyone else's on the net. I am desperately seeking a Shadowrun conversion too.

User avatar
EHelmers
Seasoned
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:36 pm
Location: Burbank, CA

#52 Postby EHelmers » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:46 pm

Clint wrote:Page 119: Any Edges a ship gains by taking balancing Hindrances are effectively "free." That means they do not count towards a ship's maximum number of Edges.


Obviously a ship cannot have an edge balanced with its opposing hinderence (Shallow Draft and Deep Keel), but is there no cap to how many edges as long as they are balanced with hinderences?
-TED-

"I want a window seat on the astral plane"

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5814
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

#53 Postby Wiggy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:00 am

EHelmers wrote:Obviously a ship cannot have an edge balanced with its opposing hinderence (Shallow Draft and Deep Keel), but is there no cap to how many edges as long as they are balanced with hinderences?


There are limits :)

The limit is the number of wounds (or masts, same thing).

Here's how it breaks down in terms of freebie Edges and those which count toward the total.

FREE
A ship can get 2 Edges from Hindrances (just like a character). These don't affect the limit because they are balanced with negative traits.

Some templates allow an Edge which doesn't count toward the limits, like Ram on a galley or Shallow Draft for a schooner. These don't affect the limit because they're design bonuses.

COUNT TOWARD TOTAL
A ship starts with 1 Edge for free. This counts toward the total. (And means a 1-mast ship can take no more Edges without getting some Hindrances).

You can buy extra Edges by using character advances, but each one counts toward the total.


Wiggy
Wiggy
Creative Director Triple Ace Games

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19745
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

#54 Postby Clint » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:07 am

EHelmers wrote:
Clint wrote:Page 119: Any Edges a ship gains by taking balancing Hindrances are effectively "free." That means they do not count towards a ship's maximum number of Edges.


Obviously a ship cannot have an edge balanced with its opposing hinderence (Shallow Draft and Deep Keel), but is there no cap to how many edges as long as they are balanced with hinderences?


Wiggy covered this, but I just wanted to show the reference in the book. On page 119, it says, "A ship may have a maximum of one Major and two Minor Hindrances." So as he mentioned, that would cap the number of Edges from Hindrances at two.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager



www.peginc.com

User avatar
EHelmers
Seasoned
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:36 pm
Location: Burbank, CA

#55 Postby EHelmers » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:39 am

Wiggy wrote:
EHelmers wrote:Obviously a ship cannot have an edge balanced with its opposing hinderence (Shallow Draft and Deep Keel), but is there no cap to how many edges as long as they are balanced with hinderences?


There are limits :)

The limit is the number of wounds (or masts, same thing).

Here's how it breaks down in terms of freebie Edges and those which count toward the total.

FREE
A ship can get 2 Edges from Hindrances (just like a character). These don't affect the limit because they are balanced with negative traits.

Some templates allow an Edge which doesn't count toward the limits, like Ram on a galley or Shallow Draft for a schooner. These don't affect the limit because they're design bonuses.

COUNT TOWARD TOTAL
A ship starts with 1 Edge for free. This counts toward the total. (And means a 1-mast ship can take no more Edges without getting some Hindrances).

You can buy extra Edges by using character advances, but each one counts toward the total.


Wiggy


I was having a hard time wrapping my brain round that for some reason.

Thanks Wiggy and Clint!
-TED-



"I want a window seat on the astral plane"

Blackheart
Seasoned
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:52 am
Location: Sweden

#56 Postby Blackheart » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:20 am

Alright, I've got another rulesquestion for somebody to solve...

The Wall of steel edge is kind of an upgrade of the florentine (it enhances the florentines abilites and has the later as a requirement for buying WoS). Does this mean that you have to wield two weapons to gain the benefit of Wall of steel?

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5814
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

#57 Postby Wiggy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:13 am

Blackheart wrote:Alright, I've got another rulesquestion for somebody to solve...

The Wall of steel edge is kind of an upgrade of the florentine (it enhances the florentines abilites and has the later as a requirement for buying WoS). Does this mean that you have to wield two weapons to gain the benefit of Wall of steel?


Nope.

Basically, learning Florentine teaches you how to handle multiple foes. By the time you get to Wall of Steel, you can use a single weapon to do that. That's why it has Florentine as a requirement, but doesn't say you need two weapons. It's the classic parrying three rapiers at once trick you see in the movies.

Having two weapons does help when you're down to your last opponent. Then the Florentine bonus to Fighting kicks in.

Of course, if you don't like that rationale, there's nothing to stop you removing the Florentine requirement and replacing it with Agility d8+.


Wiggy
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

kaltorak
Veteran
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:48 am
Location: Turin, Italy

#58 Postby kaltorak » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:20 am

A doubt I have: on SW:EX (and on Pirates) it is stated that Professional Edges don't stack.

But other, non professional edges?

IE, if I have a character (a very rough fellow :)) with Acrobat and Dirty Fighter, he has +4 bonus in Agility tricks?

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5814
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

#59 Postby Wiggy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:36 am

kaltorak wrote:A doubt I have: on SW:EX (and on Pirates) it is stated that Professional Edges don't stack.

But other, non professional edges?

IE, if I have a character (a very rough fellow :)) with Acrobat and Dirty Fighter, he has +4 bonus in Agility tricks?
#

Yep.


Wiggy
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

CleanCutRogue
Novice
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:04 pm

Cargo capacities of ships

#60 Postby CleanCutRogue » Tue May 20, 2008 6:15 pm

It says on page 116 that a 2 mast ship "can carry more cargo in a single haul." However, it has the same cargo space as a 1-mast ship. If I analyze the ship sizes, it seems the 2-mast ship should have 6 cargo spaces (since the 3-mast has 8 and the 4-mast 10) but it seems that logic isn't necessarily true since the 5-mast can only carry as much cargo as the 4-mast (10 units)... so I'm a bit confused. Can a larger ship carry more cargo or not?


Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests