Favorite Setting so far

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

My favorite SW setting so far is...

Evernight
6%
50 Fathoms
34%
Tour of Darkness
6%
Rippers
10%
Low Life
8%
Deadlands Reloaded
16%
Necropolis
3%
Rippers - The Horror Wars
3%
Modern Ops
No votes
None of those - I run my own Homebrew(s)
13%

Total votes: 99

scourger
Seasoned

#21 Postby scourger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:03 pm

I had to pick Tour of Drakness. It's the one I've liked well enough to actually run. Others are close, but they didn't get the nod by me & mine.

Iron Guardian
Seasoned

#22 Postby Iron Guardian » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:14 pm

So far I would have to say Deadlands: Reloaded as being my favorite. :1dance: Currently I have been running NE and DLR and possess the others (hardcopy versions) except for LowLife (just too weird for me and the groups I hang with around here) and the pdf stuff. Would love to try the others, but current level of interest from other gamers is quite low. :sad:
That which does not drive me mad, did not try hard enough...bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah...

Ian
Seasoned

#23 Postby Ian » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:41 am

I picked Necessary Evil though I have not yet run it because I enjoy making up characters using the superpowers and adapting those rules for other purposes (in terms of extra rules, it is the most useful of the listed books). I think that I am unlikely to run Tour of Darkness or Necropolis (assuming it was released in hardback) with my group because they tend to avoid the more wargaming style RPGs. Ian

EHelmers
Seasoned

#24 Postby EHelmers » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:16 pm

DerFinsterling wrote:
EHelmers wrote:Why are "Rippers" & "Rippers - The Horror Wars" considered two different settings?

Mainly because they were published independently from one another.

I love Rippers, but don't have "Horror Wars". I wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Thanks Markus
-TED-

"I want a window seat on the astral plane"

Particle_Man
Novice

#25 Postby Particle_Man » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:29 am

50 Fathoms!

Although once DL:R comes out with Plot-Point books, I may change my mind.

Plot-point books are Teh Awesome!

DerFinsterling
Legendary

#26 Postby DerFinsterling » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:13 am

388 views and only 56 votes? Come on! Let your voice be heard! ;-)

Clint
Site Admin

#27 Postby Clint » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:10 pm

DerFinsterling wrote:388 views and only 56 votes? Come on! Let your voice be heard! ;-)

Keep in mind, Markus, that's the nature of the forum. Each "view" does not represent a single person, but every time every person has looked in the thread.

So just going by 56 votes would mean each person has looked in the thread 7 times on average since it was started. Not an unlikely number. Heck, I probably account for 20-30 views alone, just keeping track of the threads like I do.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

dap6000
Heroic

#28 Postby dap6000 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:20 pm

I've viewed this thread at least 5 times, so yeah, don't pay too much attention to the view count.

jblittlefield
Legendary

#29 Postby jblittlefield » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:48 pm

DerFinsterling wrote:The "homebrews" option I added not just, but specifically for you, JB ;-)

:1beerchug:

Savage Jason
Heroic

#30 Postby Savage Jason » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:24 pm

I had to go with DL:R. I never had the chance to play Classic, but really wanted to, which was the reason I got into Savage Worlds, so that I could finally get to play Deadlands. Necropolis and Rippers would tie for second, though I haven't run or played Necropolis yet.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb." - G Rodriguez

JadeMonkey
Novice

#31 Postby JadeMonkey » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:03 pm

So far, most of my Savage World-ing has been all homebrew stuff-- it's just too much fun to make your own, and too easy to find something in one of the settings to steal-er scavenge- er, borrow from....

But that being said, I cast a vote for 50 Fathoms- it's the first setting I really got to take a look at when I was getting into the system, and I was very impressed with how it nailed the pirate genre with such elegant rules, plotpoints, etc. It really sold me on how cool Savage Worlds could be.

(not sayin' the rest aren't great, too, mind you, but it's hard not to love a setting about pirates... The only thing I love more is a setting with ninjas! :ninja:)

-JM

DerFinsterling
Legendary

#32 Postby DerFinsterling » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:58 am

50Fathoms looks like the winner. And DL:R behind NE is a big surprise, I'd say.
Not that I'd say that NE is worse or anything, but given how much people have been clamoring for it... Well it's hard if you only have once choice.

And interesting that Rippers and Evernight are on par.

(Of course, 73 votes all in all is a very small sample, I realize that. But still ;-))

Clint
Site Admin

#33 Postby Clint » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:51 am

DerFinsterling wrote:50Fathoms looks like the winner. And DL:R behind NE is a big surprise, I'd say.
Not that I'd say that NE is worse or anything, but given how much people have been clamoring for it... Well it's hard if you only have once choice.

I'd say it's the nature of any poll. Things are set in Black & White, so "fuzzy" answers aren't allowed.

For instance, the question is "What is your favorite SW setting?" Now, as some people noted, they love Deadlands, but don't consider it a SW setting. Heck, even for people who play Reloaded that technicality may be enough to choose another "original" SW setting.

Or another thing that jumped out (to me at least) about the polls. RunePunk is kind of in a no-win situation. It's not in the released settings; it's in the anticipated settings poll, but there's already been a pre-release, and the people who were most interested already have the book. So for them, it's not "anticipated" anymore, but they don't have the option to vote for it as favorite setting.

It can be frustrating, but as I said, it's simply the nature of polls. As long as everyone realizes the inherent limitations, and that the results have only as much meaning as they can within those limitations, then you can accept what you get.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

DerFinsterling
Legendary

#34 Postby DerFinsterling » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:55 am

Absolutely. These kinda polls are far from being in any way representative.
But maybe we can get a few more votes still ;-)

fanchergw
Heroic

#35 Postby fanchergw » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:05 pm

While I agree with Clint that there's a certain inherent slop in a poll like this and that the results should be taken with a grain of salt, I also think that the fact that 50 Fathoms has more than twice as many votes as any other setting says something very powerful about the fun that people are having with that setting.

Anyone who wants to calculate a p-value on the data is entirely welcome to. ;)

Gordon

C.A.Pryde
Seasoned

#36 Postby C.A.Pryde » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:37 pm

Let the churchbells ring for Necropolis!

zeth
Veteran

#37 Postby zeth » Tue May 27, 2008 9:57 am

I only own like two setting. But so far 50 Fathoms is my favorite.

Wendigo1870
Veteran

#38 Postby Wendigo1870 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:54 pm

Of all I have, for me Low Life was the best read, the nicest book, the funniest, the most original (out of all original settings for SW). But we're not playing it; if it depends on my players, NE would win by a large margin! As a playable and easily usable setting for GM and player alike, I'd go for 50 Fathoms probably.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Flynn
Veteran

#39 Postby Flynn » Wed May 28, 2008 8:28 am

I voted for Homebrew, since that's what I run, but if Savage Freeport were up there, I'd have voted for that, instead. :)

Oh course, I want to vote for Slipstream, but since it's not out yet... *sigh*

:lol:

With Regards,
Flynn
Jason "Flynn" Kemp
Samardan Press
http://www.lulu.com/samardanpress
Stellar Reaches, a free fanzine for Classic Traveller and Traveller T20
http://stellarreaches.nwgamers.org/

magehammer
Seasoned

#40 Postby magehammer » Wed May 28, 2008 6:25 pm